Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More reels from China

I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct., but my heart is in SoCo.

Default More reels from China

I have been fishing for over 37 years in my time we used either Penn and Mitchell, conventional and spinners. There were others, but this is what was used. Today there are many, many brands , of reels. I'm always looking for something new, something that is a sleeper, and becomes part of my lineup. I feel that way about the Hubilie, 777, it goes with me always. A tank of a reel!
    And all of these, below, were made in China, except the Sambo, by Omoto. These reels go as reels go. I haven't used any yet, but the Hubilie, and I like that better than my Abu 7000s.
    The OSM, is a big jigging reel. A nice sized one at that.

The first one is a Pelagic OSM 15. 6.0:1 gear ratio. I haven't taken this one apart yet, to see what it's about. It holds 390 yds of 25lb test. Picture # 2
    Size compared to a Daiwa Sealine 30H, in the second set of pictures.

The Sambo Elite Game Master, is a large level wind reel. I opened this baby up, and was not to impressed with the guts. 4.4:1 ratio. and 420 yds of 20lb mono. Next to a 7000 Abu Three bearings, two spool and one A/R. Picture 3 & 5
    The size compared to an Abu 7000, in the second set of pictures.

The next one is the Hubilie 777, and it has nothing on 7000 Abu's. In fact I think they cast better. The guts are basically the same as the 7000 Abu's.
    One smooth reel. Has a A/R dog. Picture#1

The last is a Pelagic Baitcast XPRO 800. This is like a cut-rate Abu 6000 reel. I would use this for light saltwater. The gear stem is attached to the brake plate, like a Shimano Corsair. It doesn't seem solid like an Abu or A Ming Yang
    5'3:1 ratio and 240 yds 0f 14 mono. Picture # 4
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails aussie reels 003 (600 x 450).jpg   aussie reels 004 (600 x 450).jpg  

aussie reels 005 (600 x 450).jpg   aussie reels 006 (600 x 450).jpg  

aussie reels 008 (600 x 450).jpg  
    EACH ONE, TEACH ONE !
    <*((())))>< <*((())))><

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails aussie reels 007 (600 x 450).jpg   aussie reels 002 (600 x 450).jpg  

aussie reels 009 (600 x 450).jpg   aussie reels 010 (600 x 450).jpg  

aussie reels 011 (600 x 450).jpg   aussie reels 012 (600 x 450).jpg  

EACH ONE, TEACH ONE !
    <*((())))>< <*((())))><

The internals of the Pelagic 8000, are simple. There is an unshielded A/R bearing, and end spool bearings in the side plates. I like that feature. The spool is attached to the plate underneath, by a "c" clip. I don't like that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails guts 008 (600 x 450).jpg   guts 024 (600 x 450).jpg  

EACH ONE, TEACH ONE !
    <*((())))>< <*((())))><

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails guts 004 (400 x 300).jpg   guts 012 (400 x 300).jpg  

guts 016 (500 x 375).jpg   guts 020 (500 x 375).jpg  

guts 029 (600 x 450).jpg   guts 033 (600 x 450).jpg  

EACH ONE, TEACH ONE !
    <*((())))>< <*((())))><

The gears from the Sambo Game Master
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my abu 002 (600 x 450).jpg  
    EACH ONE, TEACH ONE !
    <*((())))>< <*((())))><

More pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails aussie reels 018 (600 x 450).jpg   aussie reels 019 (600 x 450).jpg  

aussie reels 023 (600 x 450).jpg  
    EACH ONE, TEACH ONE !
    <*((())))>< <*((())))><

and more
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails aussie reels 024 (600 x 450).jpg  
    EACH ONE, TEACH ONE !
    <*((())))>< <*((())))><

Thanks for posting those, jimmyz, you seem to be a "reel" collector.

Yes, in a way. I have had at least 100 reels, in the last few years that I get, use or don't use, and move 'em on. There a few Abu's that I will not part with. I build my own, as well, to use. Abu's that is.
    I like to see how others reels are, compared to the usual. I'll fish these hard, and see how they stand up.
    EACH ONE, TEACH ONE !
    <*((())))>< <*((())))><

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy z View Post
    There a few Abu's that I will not part with. I build my own, as well, to use. Abu's that is.
    What reels do you build, conventionals?

i had a ming yang cl 70 nice i had a few look on a blue trip i had paired with a osprey inline rod it did a number on the blues it did the job just not my thing so i sold it there is another one its called ningbo i got them to sell off ebay i went fish for fish with my partner he liked the reel so i gave him the reel jimmyz give the reel a look see u mite like it u mite not tite lines and good fishin

Yes, these are all reels that I build, to use. I buy the parts and use the pieces I have to put these together. None of the reels below was a stock reel at any time before. Most are modified, like the gold one below. That has 6600 plates the were modified to fit a 6500 frame. The blue one has 5600 plates modified to fit a 5500 frame. The light blue has 5600 Mag Trax plates, with the variable mag., modified to fit a 6500 frame. That is a smooth caster. The green and orange are homemade Rockets. All the bearings, one could get, in the orange. It's a smoothie, too.
    All have bearings, some Abec bearings, some idler gears with bearings, and most with either single bearing or double bearing levelwinds. It's what I do to fill in the void in thew winter.
    I have some more parts on order for a 6500 CS Rocket. And I have a ct frame waiting for the right set of parts to come along.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails orange 002.jpg   blka 002.jpg  

abu 1.jpg  
    EACH ONE, TEACH ONE !
    <*((())))>< <*((())))><

Nice work, Jimmy, great pics. They remind me the spring is not far away.

Quote Originally Posted by gjb1969 View Post
    i had a ming yang cl 70 nice i had a few look on a blue trip i had paired with a osprey inline rod it did a number on the blues it did the job just not my thing so i sold it there is another one its called ningbo i got them to sell off ebay i went fish for fish with my partner he liked the reel so i gave him the reel jimmyz give the reel a look see u mite like it u mite not tite lines and good fishin
    Those Ningbo reels have been around for a few years now. They are like Rainbow reels, and the Sambo I pictured above.
    Ningbo has a conventional that mirrors an Okuma 30 reel, conventional. I suspect, that like the Omoto's, and Ming Yang's, one manufacturer makes the line of product for whomever wants to slap their name on 'em.
    EACH ONE, TEACH ONE !
    <*((())))>< <*((())))><

So, are they any good? I would say some are, and some aren't. I have had Penn's that failed with little use.
    The key is the availability of parts to repair, or service these off brand name reels.
    I know that the Hubilie 777, and Abu 7000 parts will probably work in each other.
    But IMO, most of the off beat reels, are use 'em and toss 'em if one can't get the parts.
    EACH ONE, TEACH ONE !
    <*((())))>< <*((())))><

now we need to see some nice spinners and some new bait runnersthats what i need to see

some Rockets. All I made, except the chrome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rock 2.jpg  
    EACH ONE, TEACH ONE !
    <*((())))>< <*((())))><

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy z View Post
    some Rockets. All I made, except the chrome.
    Beautiful work! You are like the master craftsmen back in the days when you had to make your own replacement parts. I could never do that, so I hope you don't mind me admiring your work.

Thank you for the kind words.
    EACH ONE, TEACH ONE !
    <*((())))>< <*((())))><

Jimmy great info. The Omoto Hubilie also includes a 555 and a 666 in their casting reels series. Did you check them out the same way as you did the Hubilie 777? If so, I would like to read your expert review. I looked at their website to find out the maximum drag on all three of these reels and couldn't come up with that info. Do you know? Also, how are they casting wise. The Abu Pro
    Rocket is an excellent casting reel. How do they compare?

Thanks in advance,
    fluke fighter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast