Thread: Alaskan Fisherman net 5.5 million

Default Alaskan Fisherman net 5.5 million

Seine fishermen in Alaska grossed 5.5 million dollars netting silvery pacific herring in one day. That equalled 10,000 tons of herring. The limit for the year is 14,723 tons.
    I must be in the wrong business.

You should at least put up a few paragraphs from the article to support a statement like that. Otherwise, it could be misleading. How many commercial guys were involved?

I had a friend who worked on the crab boats in Alaska. there's money to be made, but you work like a dog, and if something screws up and the boat sinks, you will be floating in 600-2000 feet of freezing water until you are rescued, IF they get to you in time.

Salmon/herring is a little easier fishing, but it's no picnic either. The season is limited for commercials.

Now, if you were to say that 10 guys particpated in that pot, I would have to agree with you. without numbers, it's hard to put it into perspective.

I as reading up on that a little. Apparently the licenses are tightly controlled, handed down from generation to generation. There are a limited number of them. The one boat I read about made over $700,000 for 2 hours of netting herring with a purse seine. The licenses are rarely sold, and now I understand why. If I had a goldmine like that, I wouldn't sell it even if gangrene caused them to chop off my legs, I would still net the herring.