Thread: Seeking advice from plugmakers

Default Seeking advice from plugmakers

I have seen some really amazing creations here, it looks like some of you guys have been building for 20 years.

So what got you started?

How did you go about it in the beginning? - handcarves, ready to go kits, then graduating to the lathe, or the sander, in the case of rip plugger?

What were some of your biggest mistakes in the beginning? Was there a time when you said: this sux, I'm terrible, the hell with it, time for the beer! when you couldn't get something to turn right?

How did you guys learn about the weights, it seems they can make or break how a great plug swims - how long did it take you to figure that kind of stuff out?

I appreciate all advice guys, as much as you can to help a newbie who is on the fence. thanks

Default plug making

Quote Originally Posted by stripercrazy View Post
    I have seen some really amazing creations here, it looks like some of you guys have been building for 20 years.

So what got you started?

[SC,

being a member of another large site with waay too many restrictions I saw many plugs built by big names,small names and such,Rm Smith,afterhours,habs,beachmaster,whomever.
    I became stagnant at the newbies that really believe that they need to have any of the mentioned names to catch a fish.
    Then,folks charging super high prices for these pieces.
    are they purrdy?,yes they are,are the built well?,yes they are,do they catch more fish than other plugs?,,,NOPE!
    I became sick of hearing about this designer plug crap and ya gotta ave one of these so,I decided to go at it.

I pondered the idea of making my own for about 2 years but I had no space for a lathe BUT,at my shop,I have a stand up belt sander.

my borderline genius mind began churning,my knowing that I have an eye that can see a 25 foot straight piece being 1 inch off from level at either end decided to try it.
    I took an oak shovel handle that was broken and began shaping it on the belt sander.that day I did 4 blanks.
    they were 99% perfect and with some fine sanding,they were 100% true.
    after I had them finished,it was full speed ahead till now.
    what you see posted on this wonderful site is what I progressed from last februaray 11th.

I also got tips from Jerry Kelly on Hot epoxy wood sealing,which worked perfectly and I use it on all my work.
    Now,for my success fishing with my own,lets just say my 08 was wonderful!
    if you need more info about that aspect just ask Monty to tell his story he'll share with us all.]

How did you go about it in the beginning? - handcarves, ready to go kits, then graduating to the lathe, or the sander, in the case of rip plugger?

What were some of your biggest mistakes in the beginning?

[actually,I had no mistakes at all,I built the plug in my head first then copied it to wood.I did have 3 out of 102 that did not swim right but I made a new lip and it did it's thing,,,I didn't tell you,I make my own lips as well,from 040 or 063 gauge aluminum.]

Was there a time when you said: this sux, I'm terrible, the hell with it, time for the beer!

[Hell No,I pushed the hammer down even more and now,I am doing very well with it,although,I am known to do a Ballantine ale at times!]

when you couldn't get something to turn right?

[I have been lucky I guess,it always goes smoothly.]

How did you guys learn about the weights, it seems they can make or break how a great plug swims - how long did it take you to figure that kind of stuff out?

[I don't do many weights at all,I believe I only did weights 5 times or so,I can feel the correct placement and shape of the lip to handle any waggling problems.]

I appreciate all advice guys, as much as you can to help a newbie who is on the fence. thanks
    [I don't claim to know much about lathes,but I know how to do it on sandpaper,,rotating sandpaper that is!
    if you have a specific question,just pm me m8,K?]

Rip-Plugger
    Takes a Big Man to sling Big Wood,,,,boys sling plastic,,,,,,,

Wow thats a tall order. My biggest reason was im cheap an didnt have the money to blow on twenty an thirty dollar plugs.i also was bored an figured i didnt have enuff hobbies(lol). Everything else was an still is trial an error. Shot me a pm with a # an we could shot the s%$t on plugs an building any time.

Good luck an welcome to the insanity
    nothing but wood will do

well lets see i can tell you my story if you care lol....

im the kind of guy that when i see something i always think of how did thay do that and how can i ....

simple as that i went to the local home depot and got my self a dowel some sand paper and a can of yellow spray paint.
    started to sand and sand till i got something i thought would work lol boy was i wrong thing never worked.
    im not one that likes to fail so i keep at it.
    i started to take a closer look asking a bunch of questions along the way.

the number one thing that all the better guys told me is to stick to one style lure and work on it to do what you want it to do.
    so i did that i keep making duds and turds yes i did get fed up at times but always went back to it.

today im a small time commercial builder that still makes many mistakes and learn from it each time.

now to answer all you questions is going to be hard so what i will recommend is what was told to me pick a style lure and run with it.

example take a plug you have had in you bag that you like swim it take notes.
    than try to make one as close as you can to the same shape.
    try different weighting to see how it will make it swim.
    just by doing this you will quickly under stand the basics of plug building.

now for some pics of mine
    my first ever plug dont laugh to hard.

and this is something i just painted about 20 min ago lol not done yet but i think it looks cool ...

some of my regular stuff.

point is dont give up if you run in to bumps along the way i will be more than happy to pass on what i Have learned over the years to you as it was taught to me.

stripercrazy, I am also in awe of the plugs these guys are making.
    The creativity, the quality, the complete deal.
    I am not set up to make plgs (sometime down the road), but have started putting topcoats on plugs, really makes some plugs look a knotch higher on the quality/durability side. I have seen that others start by painting and putting top coats on. I have met a few guys fishing that build there own plugs, they would show be there plugs and talk about the fish caught on them. Great satisfaction in catching fish on something you make with your own hands. I tied flies when I trout fished and nothing was better than fooling a trout with your own creation. Takes the gratification, accomplishment up a knotch. I imagain plug building could become an addiction..........
    I'm not on the fence yet, its more like I can see it, know I want to cross it, but I plan on getting there in a few years when I have some more spare time.

So what got you started?

What were some of your biggest mistakes in the beginning? Was there a time when you said: this sux, I'm terrible, the hell with it, time for the beer! when you couldn't get something to turn right?

White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by Rip-Plugger View Post
    [I don't do many weights at all,I believe I only did weights 5 times or so,I can feel the correct placement and shape of the lip to handle any waggling problems.

I don't claim to know much about lathes,but I know how to do it on sandpaper,,rotating sandpaper that is!
    if you have a specific question,just pm me m8,K?]

Rip-Plugger
    Wow, Rip-Plugger, that's a real education. I was worried the most about the weights. I may start with a simple kit when I take the plunge. Your reply helped to ease my mind, the weights would complicate things too much for me in the beginning. Thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by baddog23 View Post
    Wow thats a tall order. My biggest reason was im cheap an didnt have the money to blow on twenty an thirty dollar plugs.i also was bored an figured i didnt have enuff hobbies(lol).
    Good luck an welcome to the insanity
    Baddog, that's one of the reason I was thinking about jumping in. I think some guys are happy only to collect expensive plugs. I would rather fish them, mine get beat up regularly. Thanks for the words.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by smittyplugs View Post
    im not one that likes to fail so i keep at it.
    i started to take a closer look asking a bunch of questions along the way.

the number one thing that all the better guys told me is to stick to one style lure and work on it to do what you want it to do.
    so i did that i keep making duds and turds yes i did get fed up at times but always went back to it......

example take a plug you have had in you bag that you like swim it take notes.
    than try to make one as close as you can to the same shape.
    try different weighting to see how it will make it swim.
    just by doing this you will quickly under stand the basics of plug building.

now for some pics of mine
    my first ever plug dont laugh to hard.

and this is something i just painted about 20 min ago lol not done yet but i think it looks cool ...

some of my regular stuff.

point is dont give up if you run in to bumps along the way i will be more than happy to pass on what i Have learned over the years to you as it was taught to me.

Smitty, that was inspiring! It helped me to realize like anything else there will be obstacles along the way. I liked what you said about not giving up, and taking notes, and sticking with one type till you get good at it.

I liked that you admitted that you made some bad plugs along the way. It makes it easier to understand you guys and why you do it. I know if I get started the plug I make will probably catch fish. I also know there's a lot more to it than that. Smitty, your first plug doesn't look that bad, I only hope I can do that well.

You guys all make it seem easy with your talent. Maybe I was a little intimidated by that. I know not everyone can be a great plugmaker, it takes more than determination. You have to really want to do it, and I guess that's why some guys drop out after making one or two plugs. I can also see why it's so compelling to make your own plugs, as each of you described your motivations, or levels of insanity, lol.

Thanks for sharing that, guys. I'll keep you posted.

Smitty, that was inspiring! It helped me to realize like anything else there will be obstacles along the way. I liked what you said about not giving up, and taking notes, and sticking with one type till you get good at it.

I liked that you admitted that you made some bad plugs along the way. It makes it easier to understand you guys and why you do it. I know if I get started the plug I make will probably catch fish. I also know there's a lot more to it than that. Smitty, your first plug doesn't look that bad, I only hope I can do that well.

You guys all make it seem easy with your talent. Maybe I was a little intimidated by that. I know not everyone can be a great plugmaker, it takes more than determination. You have to really want to do it, and I guess that's why some guys drop out after making one or two plugs. I can also see why it's so compelling to make your own plugs, as each of you described your motivations, or levels of insanity, lol.

Thanks for sharing that, guys. I'll keep you posted.
    mess up lol boy did i have a lot of them and still do.

i feel if you take your time in the start and pay close Attn to detail you will be pleased no mater what.
    the more you do the faster you will get at it to the point it wont be over whelming to make one.

now days i do most of my plugs in lots of 20 to 50 at a time .
    it makes things go by quicker you spend a day turning one day sealing some and than paint the next day so you always have something to do and you dont get in a rush and take short cuts on one plug just to get it done..

Thank you very much for all the advice. You guys are amazing and very generous.

so stripercrazy how are you making out?????

I started out repainting old lures I had lying around...still waiting to graduate to a lathe one day i will be able to make my own danny !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0922.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by smittyplugs View Post
    so stripercrazy how are you making out?????
    Smitty I was sick with the flu after it passed around my whole family. I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. I thank you for all your help to a newbie like me who never even got a chance to buy one of your plugs yet.

Your advice was not wasted. I don't have a lathe, but little by little I will be posting some stuff I am working on. First project: a 7" block of pine I am sanding by hand into a small pencil popper. I already feel like it's going to come out crappy, but I will give it a shot. Thanks Smitty and all you other guys!! You're the best, and so cool about giving advice to us plug making googs.