Thread: High Efficiency Furnace

Default High Efficiency Furnace

Our parent's furnace is somewhere around 30 years old. I was wondering if someone knows something about High Efficiency Furnaces. The home is about 1800sq Ft. We currently use oil but want to convert to gas.

It would be good if you could be more specific. Based on what you gave us, I would first think about the kind of heat delivery you have now, the savings you will gain, and if it will be worth it.

For example, IMO a steam system will not always justify the conversion costs unless you are willing to scrap the old cast iron for hot water baseboards. Having a baseboard system already in place makes your decision process a lot easier, because then you concentrate on replacing the furnace without tearing the rest of the house apart. Also, oil is cheaper now, and many homeowners are hesitating before they make the conversion.

First step - talk numbers with a good plumber who specializes in oil heating systems. Ask him if it makes sense for your house. Also get another guy who seems to be more focused on gas systems. See what each of them say, bearing in mind they may be biased toward the system they install the most. Do NOT trust this exploration to your oil or potential new gas company. They have every incentive to manipulate the numbers and the proposed savings with each system. You are better off getting independent estimates, at least 2 for each.

Oil was losing popularity as fuel prices rose, but now some of that "convert to gas" hype has lessened. Personally, I like the modern energy efficient systems, but feel the high efficiency gas furnaces are at the highest efficiency (up to 98%) for baseboard applications. These are modern technology at its best. You could get one for an 1800sf house that would probably have a footprint as small as a water heater. Good brand: Weil McClain

Also, how well is the house insulated? Setting up a high efficiency in a poorly insulated older house is kind of like locking the barn door after the horse gets out. Are there any options that will give you better insulating value for your money? This would be key to look at if you are opening any walls. It's important to plan this all out in advance so everything goes smoothly.

Once you make your decisions, you will have to decide how to deal with the oil tank. In-basement? Inground? Inground you will have to contract with an oil tank excavation service. I would recommend leaving it in the ground, after passsing the leakage test. Have it sand/concrete filled, less hassles.

Finally, wait till the winter is almost over before you change over, in case your plumber flakes on you, or other problems. Let us know how it is going if you decide to do it. Good luck.