Thread: The best job in the world?

Default The best job in the world?

OK, $105k/yr, all the fishing and snorkeling you want to do...
    Where's the catch? I would do this for free.

Australia offers 'best job in world' on paradise island

• Mon Jan 12, 10:16 pm ET

AFP/File – An Australian state is offering internationally what it calls "the best job in the world" -- …

SYDNEY (AFP) – An Australian state is offering internationally what it calls "the best job in the world" -- earning a top salary for lazing around a beautiful tropical island for six months.
    The job pays 150,000 Australian dollars (105,000 US dollars) and includes free airfares from the winner's home country to Hamilton Island on the Great Barrier Reef, Queensland's state government announced on Tuesday.
    In return, the "island caretaker" will be expected to stroll the white sands, snorkel the reef, take care of "a few minor tasks" -- and report to a global audience via weekly blogs, photo diaries and video updates.
    The successful applicant, who will stay rent-free in a three-bedroom beach home complete with plunge pool and golf buggy, must be a good swimmer, excellent communicator and be able to speak and write English.
    "They'll also have to talk to media from time to time about what they're doing so they can't be too shy and they'll have to love the sea, the sun, the outdoors," said acting state Premier Paul Lucas.
    "The fact that they will be paid to explore the islands of the Great Barrier Reef, swim, snorkel and generally live the Queensland lifestyle makes this undoubtedly the best job in the world."
    Lucas said the campaign was part of a drive to protect the state's 18 billion Australian dollar a year tourism industry during the tough economic climate caused by the global financial meltdown.
    "Traditional tourism advertising just doesn't cut it sometimes and we are thinking outside the box by launching this campaign."
    Queensland Tourism Minister Desley Boyle said some people might question whether it was risky to let an unknown person become an unofficial tourism spokesperson for the state.
    "I think the biggest risk will be that the successful candidate won't want to go home at the end of the six months," she said.
    "This is a legitimate job which is open to anyone and everyone."
    Applications are open until February 22. Eleven shortlisted candidates will be flown to Hamilton Island in early May for the final selection process and the six month contract will commence on July 1.
    Job-seekers can apply on .

1. Islandreefjob.com

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090113...71sZd7lgEazJV4

Where's Steve Irwin when you really need him?

Quote Originally Posted by jonthepain View Post
    Where's Steve Irwin when you really need him?
    I guess Steve would have done that job for free if he were still alive.

Here's the latest, the applications crashed the web site: I guess that means they won't be processing mine.

SYDNEY (Reuters Life!) – The chance to be the caretaker of a tiny tropical island in Australia has sparked so much interest around the world that a rush of applications crashed the website advertising the post.
    The job, which offers a salary of $105,000 to spend six months on the Great Barrier Reef island of Hamilton, has been inundated with hundreds of thousands of prospective candidates.
    An official from the state of Queensland, which is offering the position, said the job was created as an antidote to the global economic slump and was being advertised in 18 countries including the United States and China.
    Local media said technicians had to restore the website (www.islandreefjob.com) after it could not cope with the volume of interest and crashed for several hours. Some sections are still not up and running.

man I woult take that job for free, iI would pay them to let me live there...