Thread: Sandy Hook - back in time

Hybrid View

Great thread guys thanks for sharing.

two distinctive Sandy Hook memories for me:

1. was fishing on one of the groins that used be be prominent near the first lot, pre-"replenishment", with a friend. was brand new to the salt, fishing squid for "fluke" using a 3 way and 2 oz pyramid sinker. Friend casting one side of the end, me on the other. I went to cast and planted that pyramid square in the middle of his back on the forward cast. He has the scar to this day, is still my friend, but for some strange reason never wanted to fish with me again. Just put your time in, they said, put your time in....

2. had an old pontiac (Poor Old Newyawkers Thought It's A Cadillac) station wagon, loaded with the wife and kids... day on the beach, fishing, whatever.
    turn the key when ready to leave and engine goes "whrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr', never turned over but spun like a top. Only time I had a timing *chain* break on me.

ok, carry on. Fishing, ah yes. Wait, what?

Quote Originally Posted by surfrob View Post
    two distinctive Sandy Hook memories for me:

1. I went to cast and planted that pyramid square in the middle of his back on the forward cast. He has the scar to this day, is still my friend, but for some strange reason never wanted to fish with me again.
    Ouch! I know a sinker would hurt, but a bud would eventually forgive you. Does he fish anymore at all? Or just not with you? As for the pontiac station wagon I rememer when I was a kid I would see a lot of them in the summer and at the beach. No more. Can't remember the last time I saw a station wagon. That must have been pretty cool.

My buddy actually doesn't fish any longer for a variety of reasons, health being one. He continued to fish, and I continued to fish, just (I should have added...) not together on the end of a jetty

Yeah, the old wagons were a trip but for the most part supplanted by the minivans that were "invented" (or perhaps "popularized", if I recall)
    by Ford (not including the VW microbus LOL).

This old pontiac had the back seat that folded down for storage, or popped up and faced rear, had the rear electric window that lowered.
    Kids use to love riding back there. Of course, now considered too dangerous (and compared to the passenger compartments of today's
    cars, it was)

I don't fish sandy hook anymore Rob but your post brought back a lot of memories. Go back 30 years or so and the Park was a different place. You could definitely find a few of those station wagons filled with families and screaming children eager to a day of recreation at the beach. A neighbor of ours, old time fisherman, used to have a station wagon with the wood sides. They were called woodys. He fished from Perth Amboy to Cape May. The back of his station wagon looked like a tackle shop with shelves and compartments he hand built out of 2x4's to hold all his fishing gear.

Great memories thank you for sharing.

That post about the old wagons was like a time capsule. Photo I saw online today from 1973.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5f4b.jpg  

Mustang wagon bet that thing took off like a bat! Thanks for sharing.