Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sandy Hook - back in time

The Hook is such a place of history. Don't go up there any more since they changed the beaches. DS the jetty you posted was only part of it. Monty the area of the concrete bunkers used to hold a tremendous amount of small bass and large weakfish. That was long before skeleton island got eroded by the hurricanes and harsh winters. There were ferry landings, other docks, and lots of structure to pitch artificials from. Also the highlands bridge changed immensely since they built the new one. Then there were the nights we would take turns walking eels up at the real tip of the Hook. Those were fun times. This is a good thread. Brings back a lot of memories.

Something I found on the net. Highland Beach. Contains a good bit of early history. By Chris Brenner.
    http://www.redbankgreen.com/2015/06/...ived-on-video/

I wanted to give a belated thanks to FinnsNGrinns, Jeff, for starting this.

Since then, you folks have done a great job of adding to it. I don't remember if I gave thanks to Jeff before. I knew him for quite a while, back when we used to fish the nasty weather early Spring down through the fence in Keyport. Early season clamming for bass is not that much fun in bad weather, and it can be hit or miss. Jeff always had a kind or positive word, no matter which knuckleheads came down there to mug us.

One of the most memorable times was when I first met him.....
    It was a cold, wet, rainy morning in March. There were really no fish that weekend. We were there anyway, freezing our asses off........chucking clams hoping for an early miracle keeper bass.

As he left, we were both cold...the wet freezing rain had turned our lips blue......
    He gave me his gloves to wear, so I could still fish....When I declined, he insisted I take them....and knowingly said we would meet up one day soon after that...and I could give them back to him then......
    This to a guy who he barely knew.....all these years later it still leaves an impression on me....of guys from my generation and older....who were real class acts.......

These were people who you wanted to be around.....because they were true sportsmen, and respected the outdoors, the environment.....always bringing any trash home with them....and behaving respectfully like most of us were brought up at that time (I got beat with a belt if I didn't behave....)

We lost touch over the years....next time I saw him he said he had a heart attack...he was early 40's at the time....and the next news I heard about him...was that he had passed away.......

He was a good guy......very soft spoken, but a lot of wisdom to listen to.
    He loved fishing the back bays, Sandy Hook, was also in a few fly fishing groups...
    He even made me a few custom plugs out of broomsticks...which caught fish.....
    I miss him....

I think it's appropriate in this Holiday Season, and end of year as we reflect on the lives we have lived this year...to bring up a reminder that sometimes we lose touch with our old pals....folks go their separate ways......
    That's part of life....but let's not take for granted.....that those we lose touch with.....will always be here....because they won't...

I say this, because I have made this very mistake several times in my life.....and know we all do it....getting caught up in the busyness....telling ourselves "we'll make that call, make that visit...during Holiday time"...because many of us lead busy lives.....and often lose sight that another year has gone by........

Let's keep that in the back of our minds.......and remember that as folks we know get older...life becomes a revolving game of musical chairs for some of them....who is the next one who will be called home to God?
    We can't really say....we can't count on them being around tomorrow....

Better to reach out today....even if only a text or phone call......
    Try it....
    I promise ya's...you'll be glad ya did...

**RIP Jeff...thanks for your unselfishness...and the way you extended yourself to others....my life is better for having met ya....I hope there are striped bass and trout streams in Heaven....Pal.....I pray that God continues to watch over your family members that are still here.....

"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau.

Quote Originally Posted by captnemo View Post
    Something I found on the net. Highland Beach. Contains a good bit of early history. By Chris Brenner.
    http://www.redbankgreen.com/2015/06/...ived-on-video/

This is video is a must watch for anyone who has ever fished SH. Ever since I started fishing SH I was always curious about that old house near the bridge. It's amazing to think what it has survived.

I can't believe the hook use to look like that.

Awesome video thanks for posting.

One of the greatest things about the hook was the Highlands Bridge. Go back 15-20 years and the biggest fish in moco would come from the bridge and the see bright gauntlet. Really miss those days. Thank you for sharing that.

fascinating video.

The new bridge wiped out several good money spots, changing the current and channels.

You are right on the money about that. I posted that in the other thread before I read your comments.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...you-ll-miss-it

Quote Originally Posted by surfrob View Post
    fascinating video.

The new bridge wiped out several good money spots, changing the current and channels.

I've heard so many stories about that. Wish I could have been around to see some of those stripers that you guys were catching back then.

good thread. Might actually get the night pass this season for the first time in years.

I really enjoy reading this from time to time when it bumps to the top. I remember when access to the point was free and you didn't need a night fishing pass. Long time ago. Also when there were jetties along the front side. The beach replenishment changed a lot of that. And not for the better.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234