Thread: Where do I Begin?

Default Where do I Begin?

Hey, looking for some advice. Every time I go out there, run into guys with different customs. I don't even know the names of half of them, just know they seem to catch fish. Don't have a lot of $ for machines and all that stuff, but I really want to learn. Is there any basic advice anyone can give me? I am handy with tools, helped my Dad around the shop when I was little.

I thought of taking some broomsticks, cutting them up, and putting lead in them, but maybe that would be stupid? don't want to spend money on this until I know if I have "the touch" or not?

Plugaholic, I am relativly new to building plugs, as i refuse to pay that much money for the hot customs. I currently use broom sticks and dowles and i do most of my shaping on a table top belt/disk sander. I just painted an 8" spook style plug "parrot" and will put a custom wrapped siwash hook on the tail end. Just take your time and be carefull not to get hurt.

Depends on how involved you want to get with it. You could get a kit, and put it together doing the finishing touches, which I would recommend if you've never done it. If you felt more confident after that, you could get some cedar ballusters from a lumberyard, few bucks for a 4' piece, cut them into 4, and try your skill at hand-carving, if you are handy with a knife.

If that works, and it turns out ok, you will be hooked, and then it's time to buy the lathe, the duplicator, and spend evvery available moment in your garage, trying to make the ultimate plug.

That's why I never started, because that's where I would end up. Lot easier to ho them from guys who make them. We have some of the best plug makers in the surf world living on the East coast. Good luck, once you start there is no turning back.

i would be happy to answer any questions you have about plug building.
    i started out with nothing more than a dowel from the local hardware store and knife and sand paper...

this was the first plug i ever made..

and some of my new plugs for 08/09

That first one looks like a handcarved, no? How long to make it? The other ones are sweeeeet! nice work

Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedbass View Post
    That first one looks like a handcarved, no? How long to make it? The other ones are sweeeeet! nice work
    lol yup i guess you can call it a bad hand carved lol like i said it was my first ever try at plug making.
    it was all down hill from Thar its a habit worse than drugs lol.

if i recall i think i made the first one in about 30 min but it was never sealed or and of that good stuff.

oh and it swam like crap lol...

Great work man, I have to add your plugs to my xmas list!