Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 LI Fishing Reports

Default 2014 LI Fishing Reports

Dark I didn't see one so figured would start it off for the year.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Fished ocean side from 5:30 to 10:00 this morning.
    Didn't catch anything but it was great getting out there.
    Threw some new plugs to see how they swam and checked out some new water (to me).
    Great time, thrilled the season has finally started (need some warmer water now).

I am going to miss seeing you on they Jersey side

Does this mean you are abandoning nj? Care to share your secret njspots if that's true? Just kidding, liked the report and awseome sunrise pic,

"White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)"
    Last week you were 1.90 now you are 2.0. Is this the final version or will there be add ons? Just busting, glad to hear of you fishing again.

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    "White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)"
    Last week you were 1.90 now you are 2.0. Is this the final version or will there be add ons? Just busting, glad to hear of you fishing again.
    Its the final version, 2.0,. Have some sourness after 3+ hours of casting, but think I came out of it OK

Does this mean you are abandoning nj? Care to share your secret njspots if that's true? Just kidding, liked the report and awseome sunrise pic,
    Hopefully just a couple trips in Jersey this year, will see how things go (when need to load up on the dead stuff).
    Going to keep the secret spots to find dead stuff to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    I am going to miss seeing you on they Jersey side

A few visits hopefully.
    Will start throwing your teasers soon when the water starts warming and the fish start eating.

Nice- thanks for the report. Don't know exactly where you were but if you are ever close to jbay the flats in the back will give up some fish before the ocean does. Every year I catch em before 4-15 (catch and release before the season opens). Small bucktails or teasers can get it done.

Fished this morning 4:30-9:30.
    Ocean side for most of it, bay side for an hour. Skunkaroo Threw lots of rubber and some plastic. Water was murky. Great morning to be out, checking out areas for the first time, lots of walking today. Looking forward to warmer water.

A pic of the sunrise...The ones in Jersey are nicer with the water in them....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014_4_13_SR2.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	18156

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Its the final version, 2.0,. Have some sourness after 3+ hours of casting, but think I came out of it OK
    whats that like the 6 million dollar man? haha good luck to everybody this spring! Monty you should fish Jamaica bay the cows should be in there soon. I am prob going to Montauk this weekend. There may not be any fish there but its good to get out on the rocks again and check it out. good luck to everyone today finally opening day!

Quote Originally Posted by rockhopper View Post
    whats that like the 6 million dollar man? haha good luck to everybody this spring! Monty you should fish Jamaica bay the cows should be in there soon. I am prob going to Montauk this weekend. There may not be any fish there but its good to get out on the rocks again and check it out. good luck to everyone today finally opening day!
    Last 2 Sundays just getting familiar with a few beaches, getting some casting in, trying to rehab the shoulder, its like a 3.5 on a scale of 0-10 now...lots of room for improvement, but at least I'm getting out there.
    It has been fun walking the beach, making some casts.

Fished the jbay area last night, outgoing tide, bucktail and pork. Three rats halfway through the out. monty stay to the west this time of year. Always works for me.

Did a spring shakedown boat trip yesterday after work in the western sound. Was trolling an x rap around the islands off Mamaroneck. Managed one short striped bass 22". The water is still cold. I feel things will turn on soon.

I fished an inlet E of jbay last night. last hour of incoming. 1 rat on bucktail and pork. This is Capt Gene's report from Montauk sportfishing-

It’s getting closer to the start of the fishing season. I always consider the start as when the LAZYBONES starts sailing and that will be on May 9, with diamond jigging for stripers and bluefish. They will stick with that until the official start of the fluke season which is going to be May 17 with a five fish limit at 18”.

One of the local pinhookers was out earlier in the week fishing commercially for fluke and brought back around a hundred pounds. A couple of days later he tried it again and only caught one fish, but there was still a bit of a heave on and fluke don’t like that.

There have been reports of some small stripers being caught in the surf, so they are more or less on schedule. Their season is already opened and the boats should be able to start catching them by the middle of the month or so.

There also have been some vague rumors about the squid showing up at Rough Riders, but that has to be kept a little quiet because when it gets too busy there the dock will be closed.

Capt Joe McBride of the MY MATE finished last season on the disabled list when he got a hip replaced. Hips and knees are to fishermen as elbows and shoulders are to baseball players. Now he’s starting out on the DL once again to get the other one done. Capt Pete Casale will be running the boat in the meantime, and it kind of looks like he will end up buying the boat from Joe at some point.

Capt Michael Potts of the BLUEFIN IV had his engine blow up over the winter and is fighting with the insurance company over coverage. In the meantime there is no engine in the boat, so his season is kind of up in the air as well.

And last but not least, over the winter, Capt Bart Ritchie of the MISTRESS TOO took a job running a boat cleaning up the south shore bays from Sandy and might wind up sticking with that rather than running charters here in Montauk

The annual Surfmasters tournament starts May 9 and will run until the end of June. If you are good enough and want to enter it, check in at Paulies Tackle Shop in town.

Thanks for that nitestrikes can't wait till the stripers are running at montauk. Fished Jam Bay this morning 3-5am. There were some bunker flipping. I snagged a few and chunked one. No stripers only crabs eating the bunker.

Nice effort willie. I haven't caught a bass yet this year either. Out 5 times so far

Hey willie same for me too but I couldnt find bunker. I was there from 3:30-5:30 today on the incoming tide and nada. Tossed bucktail shad and metal nothing what so ever. I heard the bass and bunker finally came in and will be trying for them. Good luck to all.

Have to be in it to win it right? Soon fellas!

Dark has got to be behind this. Hopefully he won't take up sleeping in Porto johns on the side of the road like DS

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast