Thread: Fisheries owner may face human rights action

Default Fisheries owner may face human rights action

'They can lock me up' - fisheries owner may face human rights action

Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 09:00

A GRIMSBY fishery owner says he is prepared to go to jail to defend his ban on Eastern Europeans fishing in his waters – after calls to prosecute him.
    As reported, Tony Booth, owner of Trentside Fisheries, in Burton-upon-Stather, banned all foreigners from his ponds, over fears they might steal and eat his prize fish.
    This ban has since been relaxed to include only Eastern Europeans, as carp and other coarse fish are often considered a delicacy in their home countries.

Now, The Federation of Poles in Great Britain has made clear their intention to refer Mr Booth to the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) if he refuses to drop the ban.
    In a letter to the Telegraph, Federation spokesman Wiktor Moszczynski said: "We have noted with considerable concern a statement by the owner of Trentside Fishery in your newspaper that he has imposed 'a ban on foreigners from fishing in his waters' and that he is now planning to amend his ban to encompass only 'East European' anglers.

"We are sorry to point out that either decision – but particularly the latter – is discriminatory on grounds of race and national origin and, unless it is withdrawn, would have to be referred to the Equalities and Human Rights Commission."
    The Federation expressed its sympathy with Mr Booth, but said he should prosecute thieves individually, rather than imposing a blanket ban.
    However, Mr Booth has responded by saying: "When these people buy a ticket to fish, I tell them the rules of the fishery and I also point out the sign that says all fish must be returned to the water – and most of them seem to understand English.
    "I have told them time and time again not to kill my fish but they look at me as if I am from the moon."
    Mr Booth also told Angling Times that he did not think anyone "had the bottle" to prosecute him, and added: "I'm making a stand, because if the current situation continues, then most of the nation's waters will have no fish left in them within a few years' time.
    "I'll be keeping the rule regardless of what they throw at me – and they can lock me up if they like,"

http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/news/...l/article.html

Not only the Polish people. Go to the Canarsie piers in the summer, the Russians keep everything they catch. Why is it discriminating or wrong if it's the truth?

Happens in Jersey too, either they have a bag stashed somewhere for the fish or bury them in the sand, and pull them out when they leave. It's discriminating because we have to be pc in this whacked out world. I salute that guy for having the balls to take a stand.