Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NY Fishing Reports for April 2008

Opening day not so great for me. Fished bucktail, and also sluggo 1.2oz in GK yesterday and today. bunker moving here and there, but no fish.

pinhead44 Guest

Fished gk with clams today, nothing but light taps, no fish hooked.

Out front gk last night, clams for an hour outgoing, nuttin. Had 1 fresh bunker with me, threw the head on a 12/O gami, 15 mins later a 32" bass hit like a freight train. First decent bass, put it back make the fish Gods happy. Next time I'm bringin the cooler.

Tried GSB for a change today, shads and bucktails. Hit 5 different spots before I nailed one small 20" bass, but at least I beat the skunk.

gk is getting better, 4 bass last night up to 27", clams on the outgoing, the water is heating up.

Went over to SI, heard some good reports. Fished last night outgoing. One small fish on the first cast using clams, then the bite died. Later on at another spot saw some guys coming off the beach with a decent fish, 32-34". Went out and started throwing clams and bunker, but as soon as the seal came cruising by, I knew the bite was dead at that spot.

Just wanted to say thanks for the hospitality and info some of you guys shared. Was my first time there, didn't know much about the structure. New Yorkers get a bad rap in Jersey, but everyone I met was cool. Anyone of you NY members ever come over to Jersey to fish, pm me and I'll try to give you guys the same help.

pinhead44 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fishlipper View Post
    Went over to SI, heard some good reports. Fished last night outgoing. One small fish on the first cast using clams, then the bite died. Later on at another spot saw some guys coming off the beach with a decent fish, 32-34". Went out and started throwing clams and bunker, but as soon as the seal came cruising by, I knew the bite was dead at that spot.

Just wanted to say thanks for the hospitality and info some of you guys shared. Was my first time there, didn't know much about the structure. New Yorkers get a bad rap in Jersey, but everyone I met was cool. Anyone of you NY members ever come over to Jersey to fish, pm me and I'll try to give you guys the same help.
    Hey fishlipper, guess you never met me yet, then. I woulda told you to go back to stinkin Jersey.

We don't mind you guys coming here long as you take your trash with you, and don't take all our bunker!

Fished GK last night, 3 bass to 25" outgoing.

The week in Review 4-21-08

This has been a decent week for the surf fishermen, and boat fishermen are starting to pick up some decent catches as well. The first weakfish have been reported, first in South Jersey in the back bay areas, and Saturday some were caught in Raritan Bay.

Bluefish have arrived as well, making my predictions accurate. (I was a little nervous they wouldn't turn up this week, folks, but my logs showed I caught bluefish 2 years ago on April 12. It was a little colder this year, so I gave it an extra week.).

Bigger bass were caught, but the red hot night bite seemed to taper off a bit in some places. The best spots will shift from day to day, and will no longer maintain status as "best spots" as warmer weather prevails. Fish will be caught in many locations, and now are being caught out front as well. I have seen the first sea robins caught in the ocean while on a scouting trip this weekend. Bet you folks were happy to hear that!

The week ahead brings some snotty conditions for the next day or so. If you have a chance to go fishing, remember that some of the biggest fish are caught in the worst conditions. Find a place that has currrent or a stream/river outflow nearby, and you may find some decent fish. Dress warmly, bring extra clothes, and be careful with the nasty weather.

New York week in Review 4-21

Bigger bass are still being caught in the Hudson by those using bunker and herring chunks. Eeling has also worked for some. The flounder bite is heating up, but most captains are still working hard to put decent catches together for you folks. Please remember to tip the mates if you felt they worked hard on your trip. They don't make much money to begin with, and appreciate your loyalty in these tough economic times.

The back bays have warmed up, and have been more productive for bass. Bait fishermen using clams and bunker have been hooking up, but some are successful with jigs, bucktails, and rubber shad-type baits.

Great news out of the Staten Island area, where a 47lb bass was reportedly caught this week. That's a true cow!

Further reports are available in local tackle shops about that fish, try calling Michael's for info. Remember folks when you go into those tackle shops and are not happy with the $2bunker and other prices, those shops have to pay for heat, electricity, real estate taxes, rent, and employee salaries before they turn a profit.

You may be able to buy some plugs cheaper in Cabelas or Bass Pro, but you will never be able to get bunker and clams from those big box stores. Once a small tackle shop closes, many are not replaced, so please patronize them. Where else can you get your reels serviced quickly by someone who stands behind their work?

Back to fishing, the bluefish reported in NJ should be crashing the shores of NY, if they haven't already. Take the kids out for a great bluefish fishing expedition, it's one they won't soon forget.

I went to kills park on the beach for 6 hours saturday 9to3. Used clams, I think fresh. Nothing until 3 when I wanted to leave, a striper 18" I put back. 6 hours for one small fish, I want to learn how to get bigger fish!

gk last night 2 fish bunker chunks, one 29, one 20". Beginning of the tide the bluefish were nailing the bunker, went through many pieces. Got the bass later on.

pescador, if you are spending all those hours fishing, maybe you want to change it up a little. first off. try fishing at night, or very early sunrise. Middle of the day really is a waste unless you have schools of bait all over.

Are you using a fishfinder setup for your sinker? Blues don't care for the most part, but using one for bass will improve your chances. Are you holding your pole, or dead sticking it? A lot of guys miss hits when they put too many poles out.

small bass and bluefish on bunker chunks at GK last night.

Fished out front this morning near FI inlet, got a few blues on bunker chunks near the top of incoming. Great to have the action!

Came over to SI again last night after chasing bluefish on the Jersey side. One guy was frantically looking for more bunker, said he caught a 33" bass and some blues, but ran out. I only had 2, couldn't help the dude. Figured I would snag more, but they were a little scarce last night. Many thanks to the 2 guys I met who said I could have their bunker as they left. I stretched it all to fight around 10 bluefish 6-10lbs, before sunrise. Some nice tail walkers, but no bass. Beautiful night to be fishin.

Fished Jamaica Bay this morning, found some bunker, snagged a few for chunks. 2 bass 27" before daylight, then bluefish assault for about 2 hours.

Skunked today, fishing back bay with bucktails, wrong side of the tide.

stromchaser, thank you very much! My friend and me went to gk yesterday near the sunset. We had 3 poles, One had clams and fishfinder, others we used bunker chunks and steel. We caught one small bass, 26" put back, and 25 big bluefiish, before the weather came. Thank you, much fish for my family to eat!

Fishing the last few days in the back of FI, and some places in Jamaica Bay. bunker are starting to fill in. when I find bunker, I usually snag a few and chunk, have got some big bluefish up to 13 lbs. Still no huge bass yet, biggest in the last few days was 26", most fish in dawn or dusk hours. Fish starting to hit plugs and metal in daylight.

pescador, glad you got some fish, you put in your time, and you'll get em.

The week in Review 4-28-08

This has been a great week for the surf and boat fishermen.
    Bluefish have turned on with a vengeance!

It's common to catch 4-8lb skinny "racer" blues this time of year, but the ones people are tangling with now are in the range of 6-13lbs. These are big, nasty, and full of slaughtered baitfish. It's almost as if these bluefish have been fed a plutonium diet, they are so abundant and aggressive. Must have been a good year class.

Bigger bass were caught, with some fish in the 25 to 30 lb range being caught but not reported. However, the bluefish invasion has shifted the bass bite to the deeper areas of the bays for the boaters, or certain shore areas during low light hours, where bluefish are less active.

Bass will continue to be more challenging to catch as long as the bluefish dominate.

The week ahead again brings some snotty conditions for the next few days. If you have a chance to go fishing, remember that some of the biggest fish are caught in the worst conditions. Find a place that has currrent or a stream/river outflow nearby, and you may find some decent fish. Dress warmly, bring extra clothes, and be careful with the nasty weather.

There are also some surprisingly large weakfish being caught, but not reported. Folks, these huge weakfish are breeders, and need to breed to propagate the species. If you are lucky enough to catch a weakfish over 8 lbs, you have every right to keep it.

However, please consider catch, photo, and release, so it can make baby weakfish.

New York week in Review 4-28-08

Bigger bass are still being caught in the Hudson by those using bunker, herring, and eels. The water is still cool enough to hold them, but that may change shortly after the spawn as they make their way downriver.

The flounder bite has been tough, very hard to put together limit catches this year for some.

The back bays have warmed up and are hosting hordes of bunker schools. Things are finally coming to life, though a bit slower in the northern reaches of LI.

The bluefish reported in NJ are also providing tackle busting action for NY anglers as well.

Folks, these big bluefish may only be around for another week or so. Once the water warms significantly, the larger ones will move further offshore.

This is the best time to get one, right now. If you've been waiting for the right time to take the kids fishing, now is the time!

Late report. fished SI yesterday 4-5:30 am in the driving wind and rain. Heard guys did well at night, but I could only catch a skunk. conditions perfect, no fish. No one else was there at that time.

Tried again 4-6 this morning, 6 bluefish 9-11 lbs on bunker chunks, no bass.

Hit NY looking for some stripes. Just a scouting mission.

Started in Amboy area, then SI, Belt parkway Brooklyn, all Gateway parks, Queens, Long beach areas, about 7 stops total. Saw bluefish caught on meatsticks at all places. The only place I heard of bass being caught was Staten Island earlier in the day, and East Rockaway.

Windy as hell, the last place along the JB I stopped on a highway, and saw the last of a huge bluefish bite. Some guys had buckets of them, only 2 or 3 could fit in a bucket. Wind in face, maybe gusts of 25mph, cold, but bluefish were all over.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast