Thread: Fix it: replacing a toilet, sink, or vanity shut off valve

Default Fix it: replacing a toilet, sink, or vanity shut off valve

Whenever you replace a fixture, might as well replace the shutoff valves It's a lot easier to do it all at once, and the lines are frequently crudded up, good time to look at everything.

pics to follow

1. Look at what you need, make a parts list, get everything at once. Even if you might need it, get it anyway. The worst thing for me is to stop in hte middle of the job and go back to the store.

Make sure you know if you ned an angle or straight valve, and its threaded on (easy) or soldered on, a little harder. Unless the old lines are less than a year old, get new lines too.

2. Set up your workspace so everything is within reach. I use the led fishin light for under sink work, pretty cool to see everything clearly.

3. Make sure you shut off water at the main if there is no other shutoff. On older houses, lots of times the valve is threaded. Take your time and wrench it off.

Wipe off the threads, clean out the line if it's got crud in it. Careful not to push the deposits back into the wall. The last valve I did was 90% closed with deposits. Pays to check.

Sweating a fitting:
    If it's soldered, cut using the right size pipe cutter, Cut as close to the valve as possible, sand the cut area with plumbers mesh, clean it up good, no water trickling out, hit it with flux, heat up your torch.

I got tired of the mapp gas BS, haven't used it in years. I have an acetylene tank, and turbo tip. Heats to 1000-1200 degrees, watch your hands. Please don't use a setup like this if you've never used one before unless someone gives you some pointers first.

Wait till the pipe gets hot, run the solder around it, let the flux suck it around the fitting. They key is heat and working quickly. Have a wet rag handy to wipe the fitting while hot. You can tell a lot about someone's skill level by looking at the joints they sweat. Learn to do this well and you'll never have a leak, or redo.

4. Threaded fittings cont. - clean the threads, run a couple turns of teflon tape. Usually clockwise, just ask yourself what direction the fitting you're putting on is going, you want the tape to go in that direction.

Replace the shutoff valve, making sure it's tight, and wrenching it so the fitting end will come up level on top. I always use 1/4 turn valves now unless I can't get one when I need it. They're so much easier, for the people, only cost a little more.

5. Replace the sink, toilet, or vanity line. If you're doing a new sink and countertop, its a lot easier to have these lines connected to the faucet before you install everything. Then you only have to deal with the connection to the shut off.

6. Turn the water back on, check your work for leaks. Sometimes you need to tighten an extra 1/4 trun on the nut, don't overtighten.

Step back and admire, pat yourself on the back for saving $50.

I started these threads for people who are competent enough to do their own repairs. Only you know the depth of your skill set. Sometimes it's not a bad idea to call a plumber if you're not sure. People complain about the prices some people charge, but it 's an honorable job like anything else, and the guys need to make a living. They get things done so quickly because they have been doing it for years, and know the tricks to do good job and effiiently use their time.

Also, you should ask yourself how quick you are at getting projects done. A good plumber or contractor will come in, get it done, and be out of your hair, letting you focus on other things.