Thread: Tidal rivers in NY

Default Tidal rivers in NY

Anyone know of any good tidal rivers to flyfish in NY? I'm not looking for anyone to give up their special spots just general info for a beginner?

The Hudson is the only tidal river north of Long Island in NY.

What part of NY do you live in?

If you haven't read Ed Mitchell's book "Fly Rodding the Estuaries" You need to get it. Ed covers coastal rivers, salt ponds, tidal creeks and backwaters better than anyone I know.

You can order it on Amazon. I'd give the Used book section a look. That's were I get most of my fishing material and the books are in excellent shape for less than half the cost.

If you live near the City - Jamaica Bay has tidal creeks galore.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by RJC View Post
    You could get lost for days trying to find all the tidal creeks emptying into that bay. Good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedbass View Post
    Anyone know of any good tidal rivers to flyfish in NY? I'm not looking for anyone to give up their special spots just general info for a beginner?
    Enable your PM's and I'll shoot you a location.

RJ, I will take a look at Ed Mitchell's book, thank you very much. Mick, I didn't realize the pm thing, I think I can now get them.

Crosseyedbass, you couldn't have picked a better place to want to fish: estuaries are such productive and diverse environments. I do a tremendous amount of fishing at two tidal estuaries within five miles of each other on the North Shore of Long Island.
    The river I fish has been dredged over the past two winters, so all the seams and rips I had practically memorized have changed. It's like god got tired of the old river (and me and some others catching too many fish), and decided to rip it out and start all over again. I'm lovin' it, though. I've been out several times already re-learning how the water sets up on the flood and on the ebb; how it sets up over and around structure like sand-bars, points, all those invisible depressions out on the flats (that you don't find with your eyes, but with your feet). And contemplating how, when and where each tide is going to move bait; how and when predators are going to move in, where THEY'RE going to set up to feed.
    I'd be interested to know where you finally decide to fish. Incidentally, you won't go wrong studying the book RJ recommended. I cut my teeth on Ed Mitchell (curtesy, by the way, of Mick 2360).

Quote Originally Posted by RJC View Post
    The Hudson is the only tidal river north of Long Island in NY.

What part of NY do you live in?

If you haven't read Ed Mitchell's book "Fly Rodding the Estuaries" You need to get it. Ed covers coastal rivers, salt ponds, tidal creeks and backwaters better than anyone I know.

You can order it on Amazon. I'd give the Used book section a look. That's were I get most of my fishing material and the books are in excellent shape for less than half the cost.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

That's a great book. every once in a while I re-read it for a refresher.

I re-read it every winter when the walls start to close in and the wind moans every night.

The first 40 inch striped bass was caught at Catskill, NY 120 miles north of NY City last Sunday.

If you check out the Riverbasin internet site the Owner posts two to three reports a week. Tom Gentalen is a great angler and has over 25 years of striped bass, lagre and small mouth bass and trout records.

RJC--

Do you miss being on the Hudson?

I might be hooking up with Mick 2360 this weekend. We were thinking some trout fishing up in Sullivan County. But I was thinking stripers in Haverstraw Bay. Is that wade-able? Or is a boat an absolute necessity?

P.S. You ought to write your own book. Especially on Hudson River Stripers. I'd be your first customer.

Still waiting for the water to warm enough to draw the bait into the estuaries. This rain has been killing us!

^ Well you're not the only ones that's happening to, don't feel bad. The rain had put a damper on fishin some of the rivers down here as well.