Thread: things from the past that you miss

Default things from the past that you miss

Anyone old enough to remember drive in movies? I was talking to my father-in-law tonight, and we had great memories talking about going to the drive in. I went with my Mom, Dad, and brothers. The speakers were lousy, and you had to drive around until you found a good one. The buttered popcorn, lousy intermission music, the longest walk to the bathroom, and you had to hurry back so you didn't miss the movie, good times.

Other things, who remembers when they used to deliver potato chips and cookies in the vans, Charles chips?

I miss all the bagel places that were around, Steve. You can still find them. They are a dying breed like the old hardware stores. There was nothing like going to the bagel place in your neighborhood at 10pm and buying the bagels as they were hot and freshly made. I also miss the old neighborhood hardware stores. My Dad used to take me in there in Saturdays many many years ago. He and his buddies used to sit around smoking pipes and cigars and tell stories. Many of them were good fish stories, and were how I developed a passion for fishing. I also miss the old tackle shops for this reason. There are nowhere near the amount that you had 40 years ago. The Cabelas and Bass pro may be praised by anglers, but they cannot compare to the gritty atmosphere, salty language, and memorable characters who you used to find in the old places.

I remember being about to leave the house at 8:00 am and not return until supper time, no questions asked. Now a days you always have to know where your kids are.

^ I remember when you could let the kids go down the block to get ice cream from the Good Humor man and not worry about them being exposed to a sex offender.

I also remember the great summer block parties we used to have when I was a child, and that all the neighbors knew each other. Now you're lucky to know your neighbor next door.

The corner hardware store