Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Expensive Plugs are they worth the $$?

The way I look at it is when I catch a bass on a plug that my friends like Rip-Plugger or Surfstix made, its like a little bit of them is out there with me, it feels better catching on a plug they made. Get some of that feeling when I catch on a Habs plug or G2.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Its always better when you or a personal friend of yours makes them. I have some of Speedys plugs and I hope I can get them in the water this year a little longer then last year.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

This is really getting crazy with the dmag fever. Was just checking out ebay and one of big ed's plugs was only bid about $6 and the Dmag/Arsenal is now at $205. They are both pieces of wood and both will catch fish. Big Ed has passed on God rest his soul. Dmag Dennis is still alive. It makes no sense. Nothing against Dennis but I knew Big Ed he made good plugs that catch. There is no way that one plug from a reputable builder is 20 times better at catching fish than another one. No way. what do you guys think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-Ed-Custo...37289602&rt=nc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arsenal-Cust...37289602&rt=nc

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    Its always better when you or a personal friend of yours makes them. .
    Thats exactly how I feel about big Eds plugs. He wasn't a great personal friend but still a nice guy that I saw often. I liked his work and his plugs catch. Crazy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinmission78 View Post
    There is no way that one plug from a reputable builder is 20 times better at catching fish than another one. No way. what do you guys think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-Ed-Custo...37289602&rt=nc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arsenal-Cust...37289602&rt=nc
    see that's where you have to pay attention to the little detaills dude.
    Arsenal custom -"There are several black dots placed through out the plug, especially around the eye."

Very important those black dots are. They are scientifically designed to call the cows in and scare the little runts away.
    Obviously why it's 190 more.

You have to remember this if you have been fishing a long time. We used tin squids, bucktails, diamond jigs, and small handmade plugs. Sometime making them out of broomsticks. We caught a lot of fish with simple tools. The guy that caught the most fish was because he had his technique honed after spending long hours on the water. We didn't need much more than that to catch fish.

When plugs first came out they were expensive to us because we didn't have a lot of money. I remember they introduced the needlefish and some of my friends didn't want to spend the $10 to buy them. Some copied the designs and made their own. When wooden poppers were first mass produced some wouldn't pay more than 10 either. That was a lot of money to us. We also sold fish back then to pay for the cost of going. I did this and many of the other folks I know. We just didn't have that kind of money so we made do with less. The new generation out there seems to have forgotten technique. Instead focusing on a lure or plug that will be a magic solution to instantly catch the fish of their dreams.

Catching big fish requires work, understanding the tides, knowing when to move on. Folks would rather leave it to the plug to catch the fish instead of sharpening their skills.That is what I see in much of the younger folks today. If you work on technique and the other things I mentioned you can become a better fisherman. The most expensive plugs now are for the collectors. You can catch just as many fish with a beat up old handmade Danny if you know how and where to tune it and fish it.

Agree with above. Simply said, it is the fisherman whose skills catch the fish.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12