Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Jersey fishing reports for March 2009

Fished RB tonight 7-8:30pm, incoming.
    There's one area where a few reports are starting to come from. I didn't want to fish in a crowd, so I went to somewhere a little away from there. It was nice to have the whole spot to myself, not another soul in sight.

The water was a little cold, no sun to warm it up today. One pole for clams, another for blood and tapeworms. I spazzed out and only brought 3oz sinkers wiht me, so I ended up throwing without the sinker. The fish are hitting light, and the water is so calm, that 1/2 to 1 oz sinker with fishfinder rig is more than sufficient for the back.

Nothing, not even a tap. It was a beautiful night to fish, no breeze at all, calm water, and mild temps. My first official bait fishing excursion for the season. Felt great to be out there, really helped to recharge my batteries.

I fished Raritan bay this morning using clams. I started before sunrise, and got 2 very light hits around when the sun came up. I couldn't hook them, and was wondering if you guys are using circle or regular hooks at this time of year?

cowherder, downsize your hooks for now 5-7, you might want to go to regular hooks, or only fish one pole, hold it in your hand for that light hit. clamming the last 2 days after work, nothing to show for it. swiss got some keepers, i'll have to fish harder.

You also might increase your success using a high/low clam rig cowherder. As wish4 said, you should be holding the pole in your hand, or remain very close to it. The hits are quick and light.

out back last night, one skinny rat on clams, 26". where are the fat fish?

Quote Originally Posted by wish4fish View Post
    cowherder, downsize your hooks for now 5-7, you might want to go to regular hooks, or only fish one pole, hold it in your hand for that light hit. clamming the last 2 days after work, nothing to show for it. swiss got some keepers, i'll have to fish harder.
    I did downsize my hooks, thanks guys. Fished this morning in the back of raritan bay, it was snowing! The skunk followed me, but this time I held the pole. When mama bass comes by I'll be ready!

RB 5-8am. middle of the ebb. Fresh clams, little breezy, 3 oz to hold bottom. Wind died down around daylight, it wasn't that bad. Perfect conditions, wind blowing waves onshore, some snow and rain, but no fish. I did some scouting after that, seems it was pretty slow today, a few small fish caught in the places I visited. Drove to the ocean, water temps there are 44 today. Great day to be out.

Talking

RB last evening, used fresh clams and B.worms. Fished outgoing tide, landed my 1st keeper, 31" , few other bumps.

Hit the beach again this morning, few bumps and 1 nice bite. No fish. Frigid cold.

WTG Lenny! Nice fish! Did you get that fish right near the top of the outgoing or closer to sundown?

Nice keeper LennyD!

Nice going Lenny, did you get that one on clams, or the bloodworms?

for Lenny. Dark, still waiting to hear about your first keeper. Me, I'll wait until the end of April when the water is warmer. Keep em coming guys.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    WTG Lenny! Nice fish! Did you get that fish right near the top of the outgoing or closer to sundown?
    Hey R!
    Top of the outgoing!

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    Nice going Lenny, did you get that one on clams, or the bloodworms?
    Hey cowherder!
    the answer is clams.

Nice fish Lenny. I have been fishing Barnegat Bay, only a few small runts to 25" so far. My buddy was out front in OC one day last week when it was real sunny, he got 2 small bass on shads, but after that, nothing. It's still as little cold, but at least we're out there.

That's right fishinmission78, its great to be out there again. we have the whole year ahead of us, lots of fishing, great times by the water.

Quote Originally Posted by LennyD View Post
    Hey cowherder!
    the answer is clams.
    Thanks Lenny, I fished Raritan Bay with clams tonight until sunset, got 2 taps on the rod as I was holding it, didn't hook anything. I'll get him next time.

Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
    for Lenny. Dark, still waiting to hear about your first keeper. Me, I'll wait until the end of April when the water is warmer. Keep em coming guys.
    Would you like us to catch the fish for you, fillet them, and start them on the grill in order for you to leave the house to go fishin? I don't mind strikin out, as long as I'm in the game. Ya can't catch a fish on a couch, man.

shooting gallery last night, line em up, lol. 6 bass to 28", most were smaller, eating clams like it was their last meal. All put back ds check your email.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast