Thread: Fin Nor - Questions and Answers....

Default Fin Nor - Questions and Answers....

This thread is for Fin Nor reels. Feel free to post anything pertaining to them.

Default Re: Thread Starter

I have a FinNor FST80. I bought it about 2 months ago and clean it after every use. One day fishing with my cousin and his kids my rod fell over and the reel laid on the beach. I rinsed it immediately with my drinking water. Ever since then it sounds like it has sand in there. When reeling in it sounds very grindy. I took it apart and checked it out. It doesn't seem like any sand is in the body.I added more grease and oil and it still sounds grindy. I took the line roller apart and dipped it in gasoline and all kinds of particles came out. I let it dry and re-oiled it. took it out again and it still sounds grindy. Here is the thing, if I stake the spool off, or was to spin the reem without line rolling over the line roller bearing it sounds ok (and I mean so-so) (on a side note- I went to a local store and picked up a new reel from the display and rotated the handle- it sounded similar to my reel so that may be normal) anyway, when line travels over the roller bearing it sounds grindy- so I think that is where my problem is. But like I said, I took it apart and cleaned and oiled. That bearing is not supposed to get grease, right?

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    When reeling in it sounds very grindy. I took it apart and checked it out. It doesn't seem like any sand is in the body.I added more grease and oil and it still sounds grindy. I took the line roller apart and dipped it in gasoline and all kinds of particles came out. I let it dry and re-oiled it. took it out again and it still sounds grindy. Here is the thing, if I stake the spool off, or was to spin the reem without line rolling over the line roller bearing it sounds ok (and I mean so-so) (on a side note- I went to a local store and picked up a new reel from the display and rotated the handle- it sounded similar to my reel so that may be normal) anyway, when line travels over the roller bearing it sounds grindy- so I think that is where my problem is. But like I said, I took it apart and cleaned and oiled. That bearing is not supposed to get grease, right?

rob, I am not familiar with your exact reel but it sounds to me like you still have sand in some area of the bail assembly.

Have you checked both sides?
    Good points for cleaning and degreasing. That is the very minimum. You should start again on a good workspace where you won't be disturbed. Take the bail assembly completely off. Look at and clean both sides with a q-tip and some degreaser. Take care to note exact position of the bail spring and any components related to it. Taking a digital pic might help for later when you need to put things back together,
    After it is all cleaned, put back together with a touch of reel grease in the line roller area. Depending on your model you should have at least some washers and some other hardware like the roller bearing. When I have done this I make sure all bearings get a little spot of grease and that they are perfectly clean before putting back together. The way you have described it it sounds like the line roller assembly still has some sand. Focus on that and it may solve your problem. Good luck

thanks clamchucker. Yeah if I take the spool off and turn the handle it sounds fine. I have taken that darn line roller off so many times LOL! so, let me get this straight. The line roller should be greased, not oiled, right?

Ok if it is the roller bearing or any other bearing the easiest way to clean them if they don't have a plastic shield is to heat them with a lighter and soak in a shot glass with a 1/2 inch of WD-40. Then dry off and oil well with a good oil like quantum hot sauce if not 3 in one works great. Next place on a pencil (sharpened side) and spin with your finger on it bearing should feel smooth if not repeat procedure if bearing is still rough replace as balls are rusted.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Ok if it is the roller bearing or any other bearing the easiest way to clean them if they don't have a plastic shield is to heat them with a lighter and soak in a shot glass with a 1/2 inch of WD-40. Then dry off and oil well with a good oil like quantum hot sauce if not 3 in one works great. Next place on a pencil (sharpened side) and spin with your finger on it bearing should feel smooth if not repeat procedure if bearing is still rough replace as balls are rusted.
    That's the thing that confuses me. I did the pencil thing and the bearing is super smooth. but when I am reeling in line it sounds rough, like a grind but not as bad. If I take the spool off and reel (no line on the roller bearing) it sounds normal- it's just weird. I use penn oil for the bearings. Should I be using grease?

you may be mistaking braid noise for a bad bearing. Some braids make a scraping like hiss sound under pressure on line roller.also check to see the line roller inside surface is smooth. also see if sand or salt got between the bail arm and roller washer

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Default Fin Nor - Questions and Answers....

I was thinking the same thing Bob.Either that or the bearing is worse then it appears to be under a load rather then free spinning.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

thanks guys for the answers. I think I am just nuts and there isn't any thing wrong with the reel at all.