http://www.usboatsupply.com/Boating_Fishing_News2.php

Here's the latest:

Final Analysis on the Four Anglers Lost at Sea

Saturday March 28, 2009
The tragic events that took place several weeks ago cost three Florida anglers their lives, as they attempted to fish in ever worsening weather some 35 miles of St Petersburg, Florida. The Florida Wildlife Commission (FWC) issued its findings yesterday and closed their case.
The report described what happened based on interviews from the lone survivor. Although their decision to fish in the whether before them was questionable, it turns out that one really bad decision while they were out there is what turned a fishing trip into a nightmare.
As the report states in detailing the cause of the accident, the FWC charged improper anchoring as the primary cause.
According to the survivor, the anchor had hung in a rock and they were attempting to free it in some very heavy seas. They moved the anchor rope to the port stern cleat and tied it off, planning to use the power of their 200hp engine to pull the anchor free. Folks, I have done this more times than I care to admit, never really understanding until now what a danger that can be. Of course I was in calm water, and these men were in five to eight foot seas and a heavy ground swell.
As they powered the boat to pull the anchor free, the anchor line held taught, and the next couple of waves swamped the stern of the boat, flipping it and overturning it on to the port side. Moving water is a powerful force. I don't want to belabor reporting on this event, but I want to make sure people out there realize what a danger it is to attempt to free an anchor in this manner. I witness boats doing this on a regular basis, albeit in calmer seas. But the wave action always jerks and jams the boat while they drive to pull the anchor. Increase the wave size, and you are in for big trouble. If any good at all can come of this tragedy, perhaps it will be that someone else will learn not to attempt to free an anchor this way. I know I certainly won't.