Thread: who read the most important fish in the sea?

Default who read the most important fish in the sea?

I started reading this book, it's amazing the knowledge that is packed in there. The guy H Bruce Franklin is like a bunker encyclopedia. I'm starting to not like Omega Protein. Is seems like all they care about is profit for now. What about if the bunker are no longer there, what will they (and we) do then?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cover_smaller.jpg  

That's a great book. Omega Protein sux, I think they were connected with the Bush family. Raping all the bunker until there are none left, yay Omega.

Default Bunker

I read the book and found it very informative. Money is their only objective,at any cost. I remember seeing those reduction ships in close, made me sick. As stated in the book, they are not only food for the Bass, and others, but also are natural ocean filters. They are a vital part of the system. I am happy to see more bunker schools around in recent years. I'm not a bait guy, but I find nothing more satisfying than snagging a Bunker and live lineing it.

Happy Trails

I have read parts of his book. It's a good read. If I told you how many bunker there were 45 years ago you wouldn't believe me, acres and acres of them.

the heck with omega, the only reason we are now getting a better shot at bass is they stopped the bunker reduction boats from coming in close.

I know companies have to make a profit, but there are millions and millions of dollars spent in restaurants, tackle shops, gas stations, and marinas by people in search of striped bass and saltwater fishing. If that was ever affected, the profit that Omega made from getting a few extra bunker would not matter much. I'm glad regulations are in effect, and hope they keep enforcing them.

Quote Originally Posted by surfwalker View Post
    I read the book and found it very informative. Money is their only objective,at any cost. I remember seeing those reduction ships in close, made me sick. As stated in the book, they are not only food for the Bass, and others, but also are natural ocean filters. They are a vital part of the system. I am happy to see more bunker schools around in recent years. I'm not a bait guy, but I find nothing more satisfying than snagging a Bunker and live lineing it.

Happy Trails

My uncle told me stories years ago how the reduction boats would be right off the coast. They had spotter planes, and would come in an sweep up entire schools in a few hours. He would be standing there waving his arms and screaming at them when he was fishing from his boat. Of course there was nothing he could do, but it made for a great story. I'm glad he never carried a gun with him. There is a big diffeence now with the number of bunker around.

Default Reduction ships

Yes, they were a horrible site to see. I think the only boats now allowed to net Bunker are the ones that do it for bait only, I think some are out of Belford, not sure. They used to have stationery nets set off of Sandy Hook. They don't devastate the stocks like the reduction ships did. I love my plugging, but let me snag a nice size Bunker, walk it along the surf, feel it start to get a little nervous, tip starts vibrating, line starts comming off the reel, casual, then set the hook, play the Bass, smiles are abundant.

Happy Trails

Default The most important fish in the sea

Here is a video that details what bunker boats do, with some stats, all by Bruce Franklin.

Very good book truly explains why they are the most important fish in the sea their oils are used in so many things if woman only knew what they were putting on their faces lol sadly their demise is coming quickly if they are not stopped capturing them in the numbers they are.The next book will be the empty polluted oceans.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Thank you for this topic. Someone mentioned this book last year and I really wanted to read it. However, I could not remember the name. thanks!