ID:	10364

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP7525.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	10366

James from MX plugs

LI, and now NC.

This guy's plugs and table caught my eye. He had a lot of interesting plugs and some fantastic prices.

There was a steady stream of traffic to his table. It was tough to get some time to interview him.

I originally shot 2 videos. In the first one a Dad and son are raving about what a good deal his plugs are. For some reason that video failed.

I'm posting the 2nd one where he describes his plugs, and some of the other "fishing merchandise" he's designed.

I'll say this for the guy, he's a clever marketer.
    He's smart enough to realize that he can't always sell a plug to a customer, but can ALWAYS interest them in another fishing related item.

for James's entrepeneurial spirit.

Kevin of Kevin's Lures

I first met Kevin at the Berkeley show last week,

and here for the 2nd time.

Ralph of Hook R Lures

I met Ralph last year at the Asbury show.
    Ralph is also a member of the Asbury Club.

Glen Davis of Davis Lures

Met up with Glen Davis and his family again...wife Bernadette and son Glen Jr. Glen is a long-time member of the Asbury Club.

A link to some of Glen Davis's Plugs. Basically he makes 2 different sizes, selling for $20 or $25. He has a wide range of colors available, and will also make you a custom color if you want to get a few from him. How's that for service?
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=78

This video is a little confusing at first, because the (in)famous troublemaker and prankster Scotty from Lex Lures came by and was busting them about a plug they were donating to the SSFFF. For the record, they DID donate the plug, Scotty just likes to bust balls and stir things up a bit.

Default The SSFFF table

This table was run for most of the day by the famous OGB/aka Finchaser, and his friend Dave A.

I was supposed to stop by and interview Dave.
    I screwed up, my fault.

Because of that error, I'm gonna talk about the SSFFF a bit and put up some links here.

The SSFFF was one of the original fishermen PAC groups that arose to combat the fluke regulations that have been getting more restrictive every year.

I went to a SSFFF meeting and thought that they did a good job organizing and getting support from fishermen.

They were one of the key players involved in the Fishermens' March on Washington as well.

Some people are still unaware of all the good they do and how they benefit fishermen.

Here's some links so people can learn about them...

We seek to safeguard and improve fishing access to summer flounder, for those who enjoy it and to ensure the survival of those who depend on it, through scientific and legislative means.

Who We are

SSFFF is a new, non-profit organization made up of Party and Charter boat owners, Tackle and Bait Store Owners, Tackle Distributors, Bait Wholesalers, Fishermen, and others whose livelihoods are dependent on a healthy and vibrant recreational fishing industry. All of these business owners, professionals and recreational fishermen realize the importance of an equitable and scientifically accurate management strategy for Summer Flounder.

For Board of Directors and Committee Members click HERE

Our Affiliations

SSFFF is not affiliated with any other organizations. Our goal was to start a group devoted to a singular purpose: Saving the Summer Flounder Fishery.

However, we are working with every organization that shares and are trying to achieve the same goal, namely a healthy and vibrant Summer Flounder Fishery.

Why We Are Here

The tremendous economic impact of this one species, Summer Flounder, is reflected in local tackle and bait shops, party and charter boats trips, dockside and over the road fuel sales, hotel/motel accommodations, marinas, as well as shore community restaurants and cafes. We, as participants in the Summer Flounder fishery, know that the summer flounder population is NOT in trouble and that current populations are substantial. We believe that the flounder regulations we now abide by are overly restrictive and quotas are lower than they should be. The stock assessment for Summer Flounder still needs much improvement.

We cannot hope to keep this fishery thriving unless we act now as a well-organized group with a common agenda and a comprehensive vision for the future! It is our aim to assure that the assessment of Summer Flounder is as accurate as it can possibly be, and that the law has the flexibility to allow both the science and the management to be as accurate and effective as possible while still maintaining a vibrant and healthy fishery for all fishermen, commercial and recreational alike.

Our Goals

Our first, and most immediate goal will be to support HR 5425 which is an emergency legislative intervention that will enable stock managers a reasonable level of regulatory flexibility. This will be done by working with the RFA, who have the structure and contacts already in place, along with the proven ability to get things done in Washington. The commercial sector has its own lobbyists and we expect to work in tandem with them on this issue as well. We will work with existing angling lobbying organizations and public sport fishing advocacy groups. We recognize their significant political strengths and in-house lobbying expertise and will support every effort to effect emergency regulatory relief that can allow our fishery to continue.

The second initiative will be to continue to generate private funds for continued improvement of the scientific stock review (Assessment) as well as now generating the new data needed to make that assessment (and all of it's component data) the best it can possibly be.

We have already hired our own independent marine scientist(s) to generate the data needed to prove that the current summer flounder population targets and stock rebuilding deadlines, are dangerously punitive, ridiculous in their intention and truly unnecessary! The first step was taken at the 2008 Stock Assessment Workshop. We are now continuing to work with Dr. Maunder, PMAFS, RFA and others to address the concerns and data poor issues that were identified at that workshop. For an update on our progress CLICK HERE for our most recent Press Release.

How To Donate

In order to accomplish these goals, we are asking for your help. Right now, we need your financial support to fund the political and scientific goals. To find out how to donate please click the link below.

SSFFF - P.O. Box 86 - Brielle, NJ - 08730

April 16, 2010 fund raising dinner:

SSFFF Third Annual Fund-Raising Dinner! April 16th, 2010

Where: Crystal Point Yacht Club, 3900 River Road,
    Point Pleasant, NJ 08742
    When: Friday, April 16, 2010 - 7:00pm till 11:00pm
    Cost: $75.00 per person
    Menu:
    Butler Served Hors' D'oeuvres

Sliced Melon Garnished with Kiwi and Fresh Strawberry, Fresh Mixed Garden Salad, Freshly Baked Rolls with Butter
    Choice of: Boneless Breast of Capon, Roast Prime Rib of Beef or Stuffed Sole
    Dessert Platters, Coffee, Tea, Decaf
    Click HERE for directions to the Crystal Point
    -------

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS ON-LINE OR TO FIND OUT HOW TO PURCHASE TICKETS THROUGH THE MAIL.

SSFFF - P.O. Box 86 - Brielle, NJ - 08730

Gene Amato of Fish On plugs

I first met Gene and Mrs Gene Amato at the Berkeley show last week. Gene is VP of the Asbury Club as well.

The general consensus was that all the guys and girls from the Asbury fishing club did a fantastic job once again. The show ran smoothly for the most part, and a lot of that was due to the hard work and proper planning of guys like Gene and others in the club.

for once again making that show one of the best on the East Coast.

Here's a little bit about Gene and his plugs...

pics

Name:	IMGP7526.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	10367

Name:	IMGP7527.JPG 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	10368

Shel E Caris

Name:	IMGP7528.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	10369

Joe Palotto & Ron Muccie

Name:	IMGP7532.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	10370

[

Ron

Name:	IMGP7533.JPG 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	10371

Billy McFadden of MC Plugs

Billy McFadden has been around for many years, and building plugs for about 40. He's got a great rep in the fishing community, and shared some of his thoughts with us today.

Ryan's Rigs

I noticed Ryan when I was at Billy McFadden's table interviewing Billy. I thought Ryan was related.

I saw this young man excitedly hawking his hand tied rigs. What caught my attention was the way he was doing it. I didn't know how old he was, all I saw was a little kid selling some stuff, no different than any other vendor at the market that day.

But the sales pitch this kid had was amazing. The way he was talking to potential customers, you would think he had been selling his whole life. He had a small crowd gathering around at times as he went into his unrehearsed, perfectly natural, sales presentation.

From what I understood, he got space at that table as his father is a member of the Asbury Park fishing club, and I think Billy McFadden graciously agreed to let him sit there, sharing the space. I'll try to fill in the full details later.

We located his parents, Dad Bruce, Mom, and his little brother. Very nice family.

I got their permission to film Ryan as he was talking about what he does.

I understand he's been doing this since he was 8 years old.
    Most kids at 8 would have no idea that this is something that they would like to do, nor would they have the motivation.

Ryan's family seems like a very close family, with everyone involved in fishing. I spied an incredible logo on the back of his Dad Bruce's jacket and thought he might be a charter boat captain. There was a "TightLines" logo with an embroidered pelagic fish. The answer was... "No, we just all love fishing!"

Wow, amazing stuff.

Ryan is a natural as he describes the rigs he makes, how he got started, and some of the good times fishing he has had with his Dad and his family.

At the end he describes a 10lb doormat fluke they caught last year, all with one of Ryan's hand-tied rigs. What better way to promote your product than with a story like that!

It was nice to meet the family.

If anyone wants to pick up a few of his rigs, the e-mail address is listed in the video. I wish this young man and his family great success. Ryan likes what he is doing, and it shows.

Great report and videos Dark. I got there when it opened, picked up a few Cyclones, and was out of there in 45 minutes. It didn'r seem the same this year with Lefty being gone. Gary2 the year before, Lefty this year, you never know how long people have on this earth. Good show, though. That kid Ryan is great, he's a natural salesman.

Fantastic reporting job, Dark, I was there from 9-11 and didn't see you filming. Sorry I missed you, had a great time there.

Great coverage of the Asbury market and the stories behind it. Really enjoyed reading that, Rich.

BassBuddah, you will never actually appreciate what Rich does at these shows until you witness it first hand. He even sneaked out to the beach and did an episode of WEST WIND WALLY standing in the suds pants fully drenched up to his knees. This guy truly loves what he is doing for this site and I admire his passion for the sport of bass fishing. A true conservationist and a respectful student to the teachers who have kept this sport alive. The people at the shows love the attention and publicity he provides through the video interviews of their products. I think we should all tip our hats to this guy for what he is doing. Rich, thanks man it is a true pleasure having the chance to know you. Can't wait to start fishing with ya buddy.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast