I have been slinging wood since 1978,it started with
L.Coopers Goo-Goo eyes swimmers,gibbs dannys,casting swimmers and their trolling plug,atom jr's.

I,we[the fishing crew I was part of then,mostly neighborhood kids] did amazingly well with them and there were some one offs that floated in with the tide.

that was in my youth,now,there are many makers out there.
some make a very purrdy plug,some make a standard plug and still some make an artful plug thats well built that catches fishermen.

I watched,saw,looked and wondered why almost all guys basically said ya had to have a certain plug to catch or this plug is better than this guys.

I knew different and was amazed at these ideas being tossed around AND the new guys are eating it up!

I have some beautiful swimmers[not mine] that make ya want to eat them yourself BUT,the fish don't like them.they only catch once in a while.

I wanted a plug that was diff,not run of the mill but never could find one I realy liked.

I decided to try making my own,I didn't have a lathe or anything but,knowing myself and my sharp eye along with a hand thats as still as a deadmans hand I knew I could do it.

So,I tried it with 4 plugs,it went very well and once they were done,it was pedal to the floor,doing my own thing.
after a short while,a friend asked to buy one,I sold it to him.
the next time I saw him[about 3 weeks later],he gave it back and said "I love ths plug,make me a few",,I did and when he runs out,he'll be back.

for another fishermans stories,just ask Monty,he will share the truth with all of us about is major transformation and also share his stories of the big plug builders success he had with their wood.

I have created my own designs,blended others styles and have had great catching,it's really not hard at all,I would love to see you guys doing it yourself as well,my tech is unorthodox but it works well for me and if it works,don't fix it!

Now for those of you that don't know,I don't use a lathe,I use a standing beltsander.
recently I shaped 5 blanks with a handheld air-powered sander with an 80 grit disc!

I take a 2X2 piece of wood,knock off the 4 corners with a bandsaw then use the air sander to taper the tail and shape the rest of the body,I just get the basic shape I want then hand sand it with 80,120,180 grit DA-paper,even
I was amazed at how nice the blanks came out,the dimensions are 95% perfect!
I will have shots when they are done.

pretty plugs catch people before they catch a fish!
top price ain't the top performer!

R-P