Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Wooden Plugs Review and What's New

Hybrid View

Default Capt Nick's plugs

Capt Nick is a small plugbuilder out of Keyport NJ who's been making plugs for many years. He's not looking to get bigger, sell more plugs, OR sell plugs out of season

... there ain't nothin gettin in the way of his fishin time once the season starts.

You can only get his stuff at Asbury, and it's priced to sell all in one day. One hook poppers are $5, 2 hooks are $10. He's been doing the Asbury show for 6 years. He started building because he couldn't find a plug to cast the way he wanted. Nice meetin ya again, Capt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 082.JPG   079.JPG  

077.JPG   078.JPG  

081.JPG  

Default Mc Plugs

Billy McFadden is an icon in the plug building community. He's been doing it for many years, and has the weighting, sealing, and finishing down to a science. Richt now he's focusing on Atom40 profile plugs, and some small needles. Atoms $20, needles $10. Billy is pictured here with Mike Commune, another saltwater legend.

Many of the builders I talked to had nothing but good things to say about his generosity and advice he gave them. Billy and his friend were there, nice meetin you guys.

Attachment 5546

Attachment 5547

Attachment 5548

Attachment 5549

Attachment 5550
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 090.JPG   092.JPG  

093.JPG   091.JPG  

094.JPG  

Default Dingbat Lures

Bob Hessel from Dingbat Lures. Been doing it for 7 or 8 years, one of his biggest influences was Skippy Lures. These pics don't do justice to the sweet airbrush skills this guy has. Cool meetin ya.

Attachment 5551

Attachment 5552
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 101.JPG   102.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Billy McFadden of MC Plugs

Billy McFadden has been around for many years, and building plugs for about 40. He's got a great rep in the fishing community, and shared some of his thoughts with us today.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Billy McFadden is an icon in the plug building community. He's been doing it for many years, and has the weighting, sealing, and finishing down to a science. Richt now he's focusing on Atom40 profile plugs, and some small needles. Atoms $20, needles $10. Billy is pictured here with Mike Commune, another saltwater legend.

Many of the builders I talked to had nothing but good things to say about his generosity and advice he gave them. Billy and his friend were there, nice meetin you guys.

Attachment 5546

Attachment 5547

Attachment 5548

Attachment 5549

Attachment 5550
    Billy and Mike, 2 of the greats. Got me misty eyed to look at those posts.

Anyone know when the asbury and berkeley shows are this year? thanks

Default Davis Lures

Glen Davis, another Asbury Club member. He's also a locksmith, been fooling around with fixing things and working on machinery his whole life, so plug building was a natural extension. 5 1/2 and 6 1/2" swimmers with bucktail, $20-25. Nice meetin ya again, man.

Attachment 5553

Attachment 5554

Attachment 5555

Attachment 5556

Attachment 5557
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 126.JPG   120.JPG  

121.JPG   123.JPG  

125.JPG  

Default Hook'R Lures

Hope I got the name straight guys, I was writing notes faster than I can talk at the end, and can't read my own handwriting.

2 guys, Larry and Ralph. Members of the Asbury club, been doing it since 2004. Plug prices from $15-20. Nice meeeting you both.

Attachment 5569

Attachment 5570

Attachment 5571

Attachment 5572
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 104.JPG   105.JPG  

106.JPG   107.JPG  

Default The Asbury plugmakers!

I managed to shoot most of them, but still missed a few, my bad.

Scotty from Lex Lures

Sharing a table with Scotty was Charlie K from Shark River fishing club. Charlie K is an old school surfcaster, and is well regarded by many in the fishing world.

Last year Charlie had some rare Habs and Gary2s for sale. This year I think he had some more Habs and some others. You never know what Charlie will bring to the show, that's why it pays to stop by.

This year his special was a tub of unfinished Pencils and Needles for $1/EA.

That's right folks, only $1 for a plug that could be the beginning of a DIY plug project, or a Father/Son project. Where else can you get a simple unfinished plug blank for $1?

He had a huge tote filled with them.

By the end of the show he was almost sold out.

Nice seeing ya's again, Scotty and Charlie.

T Bone Tackle Co, Point Pleasant

Run by Steve

Choopy Lures... Charlie from Neptune

Ron Muccie Glitter plugs and teasers

Talked with Ron, his friends Ellen and John as they talked about Ron's plugs...

and the fall run of 2009, where Ron and some of the other sharpies outfished many other guys on the beach that day using tin squids instead of Avas, tipped with Ron's custom tied teasers.

Ron Muccie and the magic tins and teasers
    Nice meetin ya again Ron!

Ron's custom teasers

Sandeels all over

Pics of Ellen reeliing in one of her 16 bass that day, and a link to that thread...

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=5385

Ellen catches a few

Video:

BigWater Lures...Gary Soldati

Gary hails from Western MA.

James from MX plugs

LI, and now NC.

This guy's plugs and table caught my eye. He had a lot of interesting plugs and some fantastic prices.

There was a steady stream of traffic to his table. It was tough to get some time to interview him.

I originally shot 2 videos. In the first one a Dad and son are raving about what a good deal his plugs are. For some reason that video failed.

I'm posting the 2nd one where he describes his plugs, and some of the other "fishing merchandise" he's designed.

I'll say this for the guy, he's a clever marketer.
    He's smart enough to realize that he can't always sell a plug to a customer, but can ALWAYS interest them in another fishing related item.

for James's entrepeneurial spirit.

Kevin of Kevin's Lures

I first met Kevin at the Berkeley show last week,

and here for the 2nd time.

Glen Davis of Davis Lures

Met up with Glen Davis and his family again...wife Bernadette and son Glen Jr. Glen is a long-time member of the Asbury Club.

A link to some of Glen Davis's Plugs. Basically he makes 2 different sizes, selling for $20 or $25. He has a wide range of colors available, and will also make you a custom color if you want to get a few from him. How's that for service?
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=78

This video is a little confusing at first, because the (in)famous troublemaker and prankster Scotty from Lex Lures came by and was busting them about a plug they were donating to the SSFFF. For the record, they DID donate the plug, Scotty just likes to bust balls and stir things up a bit.

Gene Amato of Fish On plugs

I first met Gene and Mrs Gene Amato at the Berkeley show last week. Gene is VP of the Asbury Club as well.

The general consensus was that all the guys and girls from the Asbury fishing club did a fantastic job once again. The show ran smoothly for the most part, and a lot of that was due to the hard work and proper planning of guys like Gene and others in the club.

for once again making that show one of the best on the East Coast.

Here's a little bit about Gene and his plugs...

Billy McFadden of MC Plugs

Billy McFadden has been around for many years, and building plugs for about 40. He's got a great rep in the fishing community, and shared some of his thoughts with us today.

Glen Davis and family, Davis Lures
    Nice to meet the family again, Glen!

Interview with Big Gene Amato of Fish-On Custom Plugs, and his family.
    Billy McFadden was sitting at their table as well.

For the last 3 years, he was teaching his 14-year old daughter the ropes. Yesterday she was selling her own plugs at the show. Great example of entrepeneurial spirit. Best of luck to you all!

Chumbucket Customs --

Almost anyone who buys custom plugs in NJ knows of Chumbucket (Matt)
    He's been doing this for about 10 years now, and not only does he make the plugs, he fishes them hard, and by virtue of that knows what's needed to make a good plug....

For a long time he wasn't selling anything, donating his creations to various gigs.
    His painting was elaborate with 5-7 colors usually coloring each plug...amazing level of detail.

I say this because I know him and know he won't be embarassed by it, but IMO that level of detail, puts the plug in the realm of the collector, and not the fisherman..but now he's making and selling plugs... to be fished...

Nice to meet ya again, Matt, and good luck for the year (BTW he was completely sold out by 11:30am)

Attachment 15023Attachment 15024Attachment 15025Attachment 15026
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP1229.JPG   IMGP1230.JPG  

IMGP1231.JPG   IMGP1232.JPG  

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast