Thread: Lead sinkers: Connecticut proposes ban on lead sinkers?

Default Lead sinkers: Connecticut proposes ban on lead sinkers?

Sent in by Fin, thanks.

This was already proposed and shot down on the national level by the EPA last year. Now the battle continues in CT.

I would advise folks out there to keep a close eye on this one. Even though I feel it might not pass, it still has a chance if enough environmentalists get behind it. As always, they seem to be more organized and effective than us sportsmen. We just don't get involved in these things because we feel they won't affect us.

As a guy who fishes regularly, I use lead a majority of the time when I'm out there. I can't imagine life without using bucktails or jigs.

I know we can make these from other materials, but if the ban holds, guys who make bucktails in their garages or basements will be banned from doing that.

Guys like Tropics, a member here, will not be able to make and sell sinkers anymore to supplement their income. Richie is a war veteran. Are you telling me it's right to stop him from getting the few dollars he makes each time? Home hobbyists and guys like Richie can not transition to making these things from steel because of the high temp needed to turn steel into liquid.

So for those who think it's no big deal and it won't affect them, think again.....

Thanks for reading guys and girls. Think about how a ban on lead might affect you, and feel free to weigh in here with comments. There are no right or wrong answers here, just your opinions.

Connecticut proposes ban on lead sinkers

[ 1 ] January 28, 2011 | PAA
    Anglers throughout the country should be on guard for legislative action (PAA: Chris Dutton)

Time is running out to let your voice be heard on a proposed ban of lead fishing sinkers in Connecticut.
    Senate Bill 59 would prohibit the sale and use of the most common lead sinkers in Connecticut waters. If approved, penalties could include a fine of $500 per incident.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency recently announced it would not pursue a federal ban on lead fishing tackle because it would be unwarranted. A ban would negatively affect Connecticut’s recreational anglers and fisheries-based resources that contribute more than $268 million in retail sales and a $445 million impact on the nation’s economy.
    But a ban would have negligible impact on waterfowl or loon populations. There is no scientific data to support such a ban. The impact on loons and other waterfowl is the most often cited reason for bans on lead fishing tackle, yet Connecticut does not support a breeding loon population and wintering grebe populations are isolated to a few select waterways. Waterfowl populations in Connecticut are subject to much more substantial threats such as habitat loss, water acidification and mercury poisoning. Any lead restrictions need to be based on scientific data that supports the appropriate action for a particular water body or species. The bottom line is that this proposed ban on lead sinkers and jigs is not supported by science or an identified need.
    “The EPA determined after extensive review that the threats of lead toxicity from fishing tackle did not warrant the actions being proposed by Connecticut,” said Danny Blandford, PAA Program Director. “It is unfortunate this issue is attempting to take hold at the state level, and we encourage our members to express their concern. This decision isn’t supported by scientific evidence at the ecosystem level and will have serious consequences on our entire industry.”

A public hearing about S.B. 59 will be held Jan. 31, in Room 1E of the Legislative Office Building in Hartford, Conn., at 12 p.m.

Email your thoughts to Environmental Committee members of the Connecticut General Assembly or visit KeepAmericaFishing.org and log in your zip code to send a message to your own state legislator about fisheries-related issues in your state.
    Tags: ban on lead sinkers, bass fishing, Connecticut legislature lead sinkers, fishing

That would stop EVERY guy who makes bucktails and lead out of his house? So would they then have cause to arrest these guys? I can't understand the logic with some of these lawmakers. It seems they want to make laws just for the sake of making them. They don't think about the consequences. Crazy.