Thread: back bay

Default back bay

I have been out a few times using clams. I didn't post a report because I got skunked. When is the best time to fish the back bay? Would you say there are fish in there now?

Steve, the bay bite is inconsistent now. Normally by this time of year I have beached a few stripers. Health issues have slowed me down and I have not been out yet. A few friends are catching fish in the Delaware bay and the lower Delaware river. These are mostly small fish with a few keepers. My best advice would be to wait for a sunny day or 2, like today, and then go out fishing for the night. Try to time your jaunt with the outgoing tide as the warmer water from the tidal mud areas will drain out into key areas in the bay. These areas will be alive with worms, crustaceans, and all types of miniature marine life causing the flounder and bass to feed. When the water is close to 40, you will have to use worms. As it begins to rise into the higher 40's you will have more success with clams. Don't be afraid to buy a few extra clams, smash them and throw them out in the water. When I am on the boat we go through almost a potato sack full when the bite is hot. Good luck, they are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    I didn't post a report because I got skunked.

StorminSteve, please don't feel not catching a fish makes your trip unworthy of a report. There is no embarassment here. We all have different levels of skill. Even the best fishermen out there will not pull in a fish every time. Going fishing and not catching, when we learn what we can do better next time, is part of our goal of becoming a better fisherman. You could also be eligible to win in the monthly free plug drawing, just by posting that report.

We have many members who live quite a distance from the salt. Your report, when taken in the context of others, helps them to decide when to make that long trip. Fish are being caught right now. It is spotty, and you will have to sit there for a few hours at a time. Take heed of the advice clamchucker gave you, and let us know how you do.

Great advice from the old salts. I would add in there to find some part of the bay that is deeper, or dumps near a channel, or something like that. Otherwise, spot on.