Thread: jetty safety, jetty tips

Hybrid View

I don't fish most jetties. At my age it is not worth it. I will fish the few that are paved with concrete at times when they are not overrun with people. A tip I would give would be to always go with a friend. Over the years, too many people have been lost to drownings off of a jetty. This is a good idea to have these discussions.

Here is the direct link to the guys site with pictures of him. I'm glad he is ok.

http://www.howardsview.com/Jetty/Jetty.html

Do not wear waders if you go in the drink you will never swim with them on and you will not get them off you will most likely drown from exhaustion wear rain pants they are easier to get off and if you can't you have a much better chance of swimming with them,you should fish with someone any way. I always carry a sharp knife in a sheath to cut off anything I may need to.You always have to watch the waves that are rolling along the rocks you never know when that one is going to catch you off guard.If you do catch a fish be very cautious of where you will land it pick a fairly safe spot and try to get the fish there NO FISH IS WORTH YOUR LIFE!!! If you are fishing at night walk cautiously on the rocks be aware of the holes you may fall into you could break a leg and be stranded if no one is around.