Thread: jetty safety, jetty tips

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by nitestrikes View Post
    Helo pilot:
    I've never picked up a fisherman who drowned while wearing a life jacket.
    Why are there no life jackets? - Arrogance."
    Nitestrikes thanks for bringing this up. I watched the video and have come to the conclusion that a lot of Aussies have a different mindset than we have here. They seem to embrace danger, even to go so far as taunting death.....because IMO that's what you're doing when you fish craggy points like that that have waves crashing over them, without a PFD.

I was at the Nissequogue River the afternoon last summer that father who wasn't wearing a PFD died. It has affected me deeply.

I have been to Montauk many times, and never thought of wearing a PFD.
    Like some of you have mentioned, I probably would have thought that others would think you were a sissy or wimp for wearing one. We are all self-conscious about looking stupid when we're out there....

Since that Dad drowned in the Nissy,
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...quogue-8-12-11

I've gotten beyond that apprehension of what others might think, and am now actively trying to promote guys to wear a PFD when fishing dangerous areas. I try to set an example by wearing one every time.

So far, it doesn't seem many are listening, or feel they would benefit from wearing one....
    I understand the apprehension and fear of looking stupid....

A guy kind of laughed when he saw me putting on mine a few weeks ago, we had met out there and decided to fish together...in his culture they laugh at those kinds of preparations....when he saw the way I fish, he wasn't laughing any more and told me it was a smart thing.....

Will guys start wearing them just because I'm preaching about them?
    Absolutely not....

But if I can get one person, at a time, to change the way they look at their safety, and the families they leave behind if they end up dead...then it will have all been worth it...

Thanks for pointing that out, Nitestrikes. We have surf fishermen and kayakers who die every year, right here in the US, because they didn't place a high degree of importance on safety and protecting their lives....

UrbanFishingMan, thanks for posting a pic of your gear. I thinik people would be amazed if they knew the level of preparation you go through before you go out there. IMO that's because you've seen the worst that can happen, and are mature enough that you don't want to put yourself in the same situation.

Also, to those folks who think this level of preparation is stupid, I ask you if you've thought about the First Reponders who will be at risk as well, if they have to go and rescue you...isn't that something that we should also be thinking about?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Also, to those folks who think this level of preparation is stupid, I ask you if you've thought about the First Reponders who will be at risk as well, if they have to go and rescue you...isn't that something that we should also be thinking about?
    I think it the opposite of stupid.
    IMO its smart, well thought out and properly prepared for his fishing experience.
    Nothing but respect for a person properly prepared.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Default No one will Laugh @ you in da Mecca

Thanks Dark Skies!
    when you live 5 miles from the most dangerous spot on LI
    you evolve. In this spot a well established plug makers/ MTK contest winners has been swept away & had to swim 50 minutes to get back. BTW the rescue for that plug maker took 70 minutes to deploy. He had been on shore almost 20 minutes when they showed up. The 2 men ditched their VS reels, lami rods & plug bags losing thousands but keeping their lives. But don't feel too bad for him cuz most of you guys probably own a few of his bottle darters.

In light of this event; i began to practice swimming in fins & boots. Eventually i began carrying glow sticks, energy gel,gatoraid & protein bars, all in a camalbak i can swim with. I'm considering purchasing a spot GPS locator too. That was Zeno's suggestion.

MTK locals will never laugh at you for wearing a PFD! go out with out korkers & toss a popper durning a buck tail blitz & cross a few lines..... then they'll laugh at you.

I'll wear that same set up at IBSP too in certain situations. Even a sandy beach can
    mess you up: remember the guy who almost drowned on Dec 1st this year at IBSP?

Bottom line is ......no fish is worth your life.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rock star.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanFishingMan View Post
    MTK locals will never laugh at you for wearing a PFD! go out with out korkers & toss a popper durning a buck tail blitz & cross a few lines..... then they'll laugh at you.

I'll wear that same set up at IBSP too in certain situations. Even a sandy beach can
    mess you up: remember the guy who almost drowned on Dec 1st this year at IBSP?

Bottom line is ......no fish is worth your life.

Crossing lines with a popper when everyone is using bucktails, yessir, that is a quick way to get yer line cut. Great photo, urban. Looks like the edge of the world.