Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: jetty safety, jetty tips

PLenty of shoreline though Jon.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonthepain View Post
    no jetties down here. a coupla inlets have them but that's it.

i miss 'em.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Quote Originally Posted by rockhopper View Post
    I like that riot gear pic bababooey!
    Pebbles has the same gear that she uses when Dark takes his waders off. hahahahahahaha I'll teach ya to make fun of me and my Desi fetish. You googan. hahahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by rip316 View Post
    Pebbles has the same gear that she uses when Dark takes his waders off. hahahahahahaha I'll teach ya to make fun of me and my Desi fetish. You googan. hahahahahahaha

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by jonthepain View Post
    no jetties down here. a coupla inlets have them but that's it.

i miss 'em.

Half the guys who catch fish in the bunker blitzes here in Jersey...if there were no jetties, they would probably quit fishin.

Jon, if ya ever come up here, I'll take ya out on some of the coolest rocks you've ever seen.

Time for a bump to the top for this, some good and timely info in this thread.

Thank you for this thread. My cousin had a fall last year on a jetty and almost smashed his skull. He wasn't wearing korkers. Now he always wears them.

Crouch a little when rock hopping, and plan your move to the next rock well in advance as the tide is coming in.

Don't do what these guys did, go out on the rocks in Rye, NY on the incoming tide.

3 plucked from Long Island Sound in Rye after surging waters strand them on rock while fishing

2:51 PM, Oct. 13, 2011 |
    13Comments

Three Queens residents stranded on a rock in Long Island Sound were rescued Wednesday afternoon Oct. 12, 2011, by the Westchester County Police Aviation Unit and marine units from the Rye and Greenwich, Conn., police departments. / Westchester County Police

Written by

Shawn Cohen .

RYE — As choppy waters rose around them, three Queens residents stranded on a rock in Long Island Sound were rescued Wednesday afternoon by the Westchester County Police Aviation Unit and marine units from the Rye and Greenwich, Conn., police departments, authorities said.
    The harrowing rescue effort came after the trio — a woman and two men — walked out to a rocky outcropping at low tide to do some fishing off Oakland Beach in Rye, county police spokesman Kieran O'Leary said. The three became trapped when the tide surged in faster than they expected and the surf turned rough, stranding them about 50 yards offshore.
    Officers from Rye and Greenwich responded about 11:45 a.m.
    "Four- to six-foot swells, coupled with the rocky area where the trio was stranded, made the rescue effort difficult," O'Leary said.
    The woman was eventually taken aboard the Rye police boat, manned by officers Michael Kenny and Mauricio Gomez. Rye officers also tossed life vests to the two men.
    The Westchester County police helicopter moved in as the tide closed around the two fishermen, submerging the small spot where they stood. Detective Christopher Lieberman, the Aviation Unit's chief pilot, hovered the aircraft at the water's surface while police officer Michael Brady went out on the aircraft's skids and hauled one of the men into the helicopter.
    The second man lost his footing and fell into the water but stayed afloat with the life vest. Lieberman repositioned the aircraft as the man drifted away, and Brady was able to reach that man and pull him up and into the helicopter as well, O'Leary said.

"A day of fishing might have ended in tragedy except for the skillful actions of all the officers involved," Westchester Public Safety Commissioner George N. Longworth said. "I commend the members of the county police Aviation Unit, and the Rye and Greenwich marine units, for the perseverance and teamwork they displayed under very difficult conditions."
    Those rescued were treated at the scene by members of the Rye-Port Chester Volunteer Ambulance Corps

If you are on the rocks on the incoming tide either you are not dealing with a full deck or you have a death wish.

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    If you are on the rocks on the incoming tide either you are not dealing with a full deck or you have a death wish.
    I saw some Spanish guys almost get washed off the tip of the Barnegat Jetty last week. They were out there with big swell on the incoming. Stupid is as stupid does. I guess that's God's way of making the gene pool stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by jigfreak View Post
    I saw some Spanish guys almost get washed off the tip of the Barnegat Jetty last week. They were out there with big swell on the incoming. Stupid is as stupid does. I guess that's God's way of making the gene pool stronger.
    I saw a guy slip and smash his knee pretty hard tonight. Be careful dudes!

Very timely post, plugcrazy.

I was having a few discussions with some friends about this today..
    Guys have mentioned they see some fish caught off the rocks, and are thus motivated to try there too...

If you're new to this, please re-think that strategy at this time of year...
    It's January, and while the air temps this weekend hit the mid-60's, the ocean is still in the mid to high 40's

These temps, if you are not wearing a wetsuit or drysuit, can disable you completely within 10 minutes, resulting in a slow agonizing death, if you fall in and are not able to self-rescue.

Look no further than this thread to see an example of one of our own who died less than 2 months ago because he fell or got washed off a jetty.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...t=jetty+safety

Some new members here have asked me, in light of the success I have been having, to take them out on some rocks as well...

I put these cautions here not to scare guys away or "keep the fish all to ourselves"...I hope my posts explain that anyone who's catching multple digits of fish is working hard for each and every one of them. My reports may make it seem like it's easy, but it's not...there are risks associated with each trip..and the penalty of aches and pains to be paid for after each trip.

As I sometimes cannot contain my enthusiasm, I apologize if it seems that my fishing excursions are too easy,

They are the result of hitting it hard, taking calculated risks, and years of experience walking those rocks, studying the tides, rips, and holes, and applying that to hopefully catch fish.

Some nights it all comes together for nice action.

There have also been many nights where I've had no action at all, not even a tap. So when it seems the level of activity has increased, I'm out there as much as I can be, giving it all I've got...to get these fish.

Truly, I'm having a hell of a time, very happy nights, but I want to be clear about the level of risk involved, and maybe with the honesty in this post get some out there to think very carefully about their plans for venturing out there at night..
    Many may have read that I'm now wearing a PFD. Some may think of this move as beneath them, but I will continue to encourage people to wear one for cold water fishing off the rocks...even the best of us have accidents...

Please, folks.... from the mistakes of others, and don't think you can't die out there...for at the very moment you convince yourself of your invincibility, FATE has a cruel way of throwing a curve ball into your life....

The OFFC were out last night. They related to me that as they were done fishing, they saw a guy crawl off a jetty...that's right, he was crawling on his hands and knees...

I relate this not to make fun of the guy, but to say that something must have happened to him out there that caused him to take that posture when coming back...

maybe he fell in a bit...
    maybe he fell down and bashed a knee, or twisted a joint or part of his back,
    maybe he slipped, didn't fall, but the incident was too close for comfort, and it spooked him (self-presevation instincts come into play here)

And in fearing that he was not going to come back aliive to his family and loved ones, he humbled himself and crawled off that jetty...

In addition to that, Pebbles and I met some pretty experienced fishermen when we went to the next stop. Even so, one of them fell out there on the rocks. He quickly regained his footing, but these are the types of things that can change your life, in an instant...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    I apologize if it seems that my fishing excursins are too easy.
    Anyone who thinks fishing with you is a walk in the park, pleasant experience is off their rocker.

People need to know their limits.
    I do not go on rocks at all. Just to dangerous for me. I can have enough fun and excitement on the sand (or throwing a lure at a branch on my lawn).
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

^^Thanks for the feedback Monty...as always you have a diplomatic way of expressing your point....

As for hooking yourself while casting to trees...well I think we ALL have a little GOOGAN in us....

Here's another cautionary tale I wrote tailored to kayaking,,,but edited to include surf and jetty fishing...I know some of this may seem redundant and repetitive, apologies for that...but if it ends up saviing someone's life, then I make no apologies...

Some basic lessons for the new guys here, and the rest of us as well

1. Always have a location plan written and available to someone you trust back home. (If fishing a jetty or jetty area write down where you should be that night)

2. For the new guys, don't go out alone until you are extremely confident in your abilities.

3. Don't go out at night until you are confident with your safety precautions and have run a list of "what if" scenarios in your mind. If you are not good at strategizing Plan B, C, and D scenarios, you could get yourself killed out there.

4. I hope my words about guys "challenging" themselves aren't taken the wrong way here.You never want to challenge yourselves by compromising your safety. If something goes wrong, you not only put yourself at risk but put the safety of first responders at risk. You should also think about the family or friends you leave at home, and what will happen to them if you don't come back from a trip.

Ex - I thought about the people at home who depend on me, and instantly knew I had to leave. No shame in that.

I hope these poiints will give the new guys some things to think about. We're not pushing anyone to go out there who doesn't feel it is within your skill set.

If it's not within your skill set, you will find out very quickly, and remember that things can turn around on any jetty or inlet, in a moment's notice.There's no shame in being careful, cautious, or saying to yourself..."Things aren't right for me today, to do this...I'll re-assess, do something else, and come back when conditions are better."

Hope this helped some of you guys.

Last but not least...
    *How important are your family and loved ones to you?
    *What would happen to them if you didn't make it back from a fishing trip?
    *What kind of pain would they go through knowing you drowned out there at night?
    *Is it fair to put them through that, all for a fish?

Please be safe out there, guys and gals...no fish is worth your life...

check this guy out. a few years ago he was trying to take photos of the ny skyline and met some rocks

although he wasnt fishing it shows how safe u need to be even when not on the rocks

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/loca...erg_new_jersey

that is some of my stuff dark

Alcohol and Rocks don't mix..

a few years ago I was on the Shark River north jetty. I thought I was fishin by myself...until to my surprise 2 drunk dudes who had climbed the tower above began singing to the seas for me to catch a fish....they were so drunk, and swaying over the rail so much, I thought one of them was going to fall down and smash his skull like a cantaloupe on the rocks next to me...

Luckily, someone (not me) saw them and called it in to the Bradley Beach PD. They came out and arrested these guys...I know they weren't hurting anyone, and were in fact the best entertainment I had that night...but they were in a dangerous position, and really were too blazed to know that....

Thanks for sharing that Extreme...
    ....tell me, how did you get to that accident scene so fast to film that video?

i move like the wind

Move like the wind, funny. I wonder if you're old enough to rember Ali, float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.
    Nice work, did it pay well?

Move like the wind, funny. I wonder if you're old enough to remember Ali, float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.
    Nice work, did it pay well?

I don't do the rocks/jetties anymore, matter of fact it's been years since I did them. My fear of them has overcome my catching at any cost. I don't preach not to go out on them, just take note of what Dark states. If you think something can't happen to you, then maybe you should keep in mind those that have slipped or taken a dunk- I'm sure they didn't wake up one morning and say that today I will have an accident on a jetty. Just think before you step or take that extra stroll, especially in the cold. Don't be one of the ones who say what a stupid thing I did- after the fact, if you're lucky enough.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast