Thread: How many before perfection?

Default How many before perfection?

You guys do a great job of building your plugs. Since it is so time intensive I was wondering how many prototypes you actually have to throw out when you are designing a new one?

I bet knowing exactly where to place the wires and hooks, the correct weight and making sure you get the right action has taken all of you a long time to get perfect. The painting alone is in its own class.

No such thing as perfection
    What is perfect to you might not be to the next guy

Examples.
    I prefer one big belly hook over two smaller ones - I know lots of guys who like two smaller ones. Which plug is perfect? Depends on your preference.

I don't like sealed hanger plugs, I like swivels (IMHO, hangers give too much leverage to the fish). However there are LOTS of guys who like hangers.
    I've done the same plug both ways to satisfy different guys but again- Which one is perfect?

No such thing as perfect

As for setting a design, in my experience it generally takes at least a half dozen generations/variations before I'll build the jigs to copy it exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
    I prefer one big belly hook over two smaller ones - I know lots of guys who like two smaller ones.

I have built a ton of plugs over the past year. I never think they are perfect. I made a bunch recently to benefit a friend of mine in need and wound up by sending an extra to two of the guys because I wasn't happy with the epoxy on the plug. They were thrilled with the plug even though I felt it should have been better.

I will make 5 bodies identical and make each slightly different (weighting, lip position, lip style, hook placement, hook size and record which one is which by a number) I swim em and then decide which one I want to finalize on. After you do a few plugs you have an idea of how it will work to an extent based on different plugs you have built in the past that worked a certain way. It is all fun and games to me.

Once I get one perfect I will let you know. Until then I will keep trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbass View Post

I have built a ton of plugs over the past year. I never think they are perfect. ...Once I get one perfect I will let you know. Until then I will keep trying.
    Jackbass striving for an ideal is admirable. It seems like you are on the road to improvement by the posts of yours I have read. Maybe this quote is a good one then.

" A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault." ~John Henry Newman

It must take a great deal of time when making plugs. Especially if you test them out and decide which ones are the best to complete. It's one thing to love fishing it's another thing to make plugs.