Thread: What do you see for the future of striped bass fishing?

Default What do you see for the future of striped bass fishing?

I'm looking for perspectives and opinions, or what you would like to see... anything that in your mind is related to the future of striped bass fishing.

Example - If you had the ear of a person/persons in gov't who could effect some changes regarding striped bass fishing, what would you say to them?

There are no right or wrong answers here, only our opinions. I thought it would encourage the guys who don't post a lot to weigh in on this.

I see ---------dead people. Seriously? I see more people going after striped bass because every other species, fluke, flounder, tog, seabass, has become so heavily regulated there are bound to be those folks who will give up that species and decide it makes more economic sense to spend their money going after bass. Every year in my boat I see a new crop of yahoos who don't have a clue and act offended when you try to teach them something that may save their life. Back to the bass, so more of them will be targeted, and harvested. Somewhere in this equation that leaves less bass to reproduce. I hope not, but that's where we're headed, my opinion.

I would like to see enough bass around in all sizes to my children and their children have a chance to catch one whenever they go fishing. I know their are no guarantees, I just want there to be enough fish that they have a good chance of catching one. I would also like to see enough bunker around so the bass don't go after other species of fish. In the Delaware Bay last year it seems like there were less bunker than there usually are.