Thread: granite countertops

Default granite countertops

We want to install a granite countertop, but I heard that you can get stains on the granite. Is this so? If it is how come so many people are getting them?

Granite is porous stone and can stain. The prevent this and protect the surface the granite should be sealed at least once a year.

It is a very popular choice. Be careful; don't ever stand on them to clean upper cabinets because it will crack.

Also, only use neutral ph balanced cleaners made especially for stone products. NO HARSH CHEMICALS. Do not clean with vinegar and water as the vinegar is a natural acid and will etch the surface of the stone. No oil and vinegar salad making either. Oils (butter, margarine, etc.) will leech into the stone causing a dark spot not very easily removable.

Stone countertops maximizes your return on your investment. Nothing better.

I would never want granite. Why would I want to seal something every year. I like corian. It is easy to clean and durable.

Just be careful with corian. Dont put a boiling pot directly on the surface or pour boiling water directly into a corian sink. It will warp. Overall a very maintenance free product.