Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A tale of 2 towns: Brookhaven vs Riverhead

Glad you like the pics, guys. When I first got involved, I had never seen Shoreham Beach, so I didn't have a clue what people were angry about.

Taking these pics helps me bring a better understanding to people who might not have ever heard of these places, or why they're worth fighting for.

wtg Dark.

Default Re: A tale of 2 towns: Brookhaven vs Riverhead

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Glad you like the pics, guys. When I first got involved, I had never seen Shoreham Beach, so I didn't have a clue what people were angry about.

Taking these pics helps me bring a better understanding to people who might not have ever heard of these places, or why they're worth fighting for.

Bringing this thread to the top so the OGB can look at the "pretty pictures" I took.
    These "dumb and meaningless" pictures helped to inform and sway public opinion. I want to stay humble about this because there were many of us involved. However, it is pictures like the ones in this thread that help to change the perceptions folks have, or help them understand why they should care about an issue, they often know nothing about......

**Love ya anyway, you old grouchy barnacle.
    You're getting as bad as my Dad used to be, when he was alive....sometimes I swear he came back to Earth and was reincarnated as you....

I thought this was important for anyone wanting to learn about beach access and attempted restrictions, to see that there are all sorts of sneaky ways for towns to accomplish this. Your access may be constitutionally protected....but if a town really doesn't like or want fishermen around....they can do us in with severe parking restrictions and beach fees.....

I did this comparison a few years back, to illustrate the differences in town policy, based upon attitude of the taxpayers living there....
    The most recent access battle that comes to mind for these statements, is Amagansett, specifically "truck beach".
    I'll try to write more about it when I get a chance....or someone here feel free to post a separate thread.....

It seemed to me that in access issues, different economic classes have different perceptions about whether fishermen should be allowed....or not....
    If you want to get mad at elitist homeowners who think they own every grain of sand.....that's your right....I feel the same way....
    But if you folks want to win a battle....sometimes it's good to look at different areas....and try to understand their position, strategies, game plan, and political maneuverings, as a way to learn to deal with other towns in the future....
    Thanks for reading.....

"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12