Thread: 3/22/09 Essex-Middle River Chapter MSSA fishing flea market

Default 3/22/09 Essex-Middle River Chapter MSSA fishing flea market

Took a ride down to Essex Maryland today for the annual flea market run by the MSSA. They have been doing this for over 15 years.

Some of the shows lately have been poorly attended, and I didn't know what to expect with this one. The parking lot was full when I got there, and there was a good turnover of cars and trucks in and out. They told me that around 1300 people came in on Sat, and 2000 came in today. That's an impressive set of numbers for any fishermens flea market. The members of the MSSA and their families did a great job putting this together, from organizing the exhibitor areas to cooking the great pit beef sandwiches.

It was a pleasure to meet you guys for the first time, and also run into a few people I had seen at other shows and markets.

The saddest thing about today was leaving. Maryland is about 10 degrees warmer than NJ, and you could feel Spring in the air as you drove down the road. Buds are on the trees, all of the lakes and rivers looked so fishable I had a hard time not to stop and do some scouting or picture taking.

As I drove over the Susky bridge, I had to stop a strong desire to take a detour and find my way to the mouth of it. I really wished I could have spent the whole day there, but I had to make another show in NJ.

And you guys have good rockn'roll and country music! Station 98 is great, playing anything from Hendrix to Rage Against the Machine. Our NY/NJ Krock recently sold out to canned Top 40, it's almost suicidal to listen anymore.

Look forward to coming back there again, and I enjoyed the hospitality, thanks.

Default MSSA Maryland Saltwater Sportfishermen's Association

Met Frank Holden of the MSSA, one of the organizers of this event. Nice meeting ya, Frank.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P3-22-09 001.jpg   P3-22-09 003.jpg  

Default Who is the MSSA?

A little info about them:

http://www.mssa.net/

In the 1980's, the Atlantic Coast and Chesapeake Bay striped bass stocks were on the brink of extinction, and many other gamefish and marine resources were severely depleted. To save this prized gamefish --and rebuild recreational fishing overall in the Chesapeake and mid-Atlantic region --a small group of passionate recreational anglers banded together to form the Maryland Saltwater Sportfishermen's Association (MSSA).
    For more than 25 years later, the MSSA has worked tirelessly to protect and enhance recreational fishing and conserve marine resources. And today, the MSSA is the voice for more than 7,000 recreational anglers in the Chesapeake Bay and mid-Atlantic region. Our conservation ethic, rooted in the 1985 striped bass moratorium, gets stronger with each passing year.
    To protect your right to fish, the MSSA works with state and federal elected officials and other decision makers. The MSSA also serves on major fisheries advisory boards within the state Department of Natural Resources, Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission, and National Marine Fisheries Service. MSSA makes sure the concerns and views of Chesapeake and mid-Atlantic recreational anglers are heard.
    But MSSA is about more than protecting fish and fishing. With 13 active chapters throughout Maryland and Pennsylvania, MSSA fosters camaraderie and fun. We also host four major tournaments, including the largest striped bass spring tournament on the East Coast.
    Each month at chapter meetings, professional anglers and guest speakers give lively and informative presentations on a variety of topics, from fishing techniques and tackle to fisheries conservation and marine electronics. MSSA chapters also sponsor fishing events for young people to teach our future fishermen the joys of fishing. We’re driven to ensure future generations of anglers are able to enjoy recreational fishing.
    MSSA chapters hold fishing contests as well as charter trips to local and out-of-state hotspots. Other chapter-sponsored activities held throughout the year include fishing seminars and flea markets, auctions, bull roasts, and crab feasts. Many of our members have stated that their fishing skills have greatly improved due to attending chapter meetings. Join now and help the MSSA safeguard recreational fishing for today and tomorrow!

Default MSSA Scholarship foundation

$127,000 in scholarship money awarded so far. Wow, impressive!

http://www.mssa.net/scholarship.html

In the fall of 1992, the Maryland Saltwater Sportfishermen’s Association decided to expand its efforts to enhance the future of recreational fishing. Funds were and continue to be provided to support highly qualified students who are concerned about the environment and the health of the Chesapeake Bay. In 1992, the newly formed MSSA Scholarship Foundation made its first grant of $1,000.
    Since then the foundation has awarded more than $127,000 to over 20 young men and women. Graduates who receive Foundation awards are involved in careers and continued environmental research, mitigation surveys, education, animal surgical procedures and doctoral degrees in biology.
    Income for the Foundation comes from individuals, business, MSSA chapters and revenue from special events. Major support has come from A.R. Marani and Sons, the Keith Campell Foundation and the Maryland Department of Natural Resources. The Foundation recognizes the need to increase the number of individuals and corporate donors in order to continue its mission.
    All contributions to the MSSA Scholarship Foundation, Inc. are tax deductible (501(c)3). Directors receive no compensation. All funds collected are used for grants that are made without regard to age, race, sex, creed, color, religion or national origin.

Default BFG Fishing Guides and BFG Bucktails

Met Capt Chuck Fisher, (and his camera shy wife) who has been guiding for 30 years throughout the Chesapeake, and making bucktails for over 14 years. He had some super duty large bucks for the big cows, ranging from 2-10oz. Nice meeting ya, Capt and Mrs. Fisher!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3-22-09 005.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	6122

Name:	P3-22-09 004.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	6123

Name:	P3-22-09 006.jpg 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	6124

Name:	P3-22-09 007.jpg 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	6125

Default MSSA member Lou

Lou is a retired machinist, has been in the MSSA for 30 years, and making custom bucktails for 17 and his Lexan Deep Diver lures for a few years as well.

It was interesting to meet a guy who actually uses lexan in the process, I thought plastics were hard to work with. I guess once you have the mold set up, it's not that big of a deal. And then just worry about the paint and quality control after that.

He really does this as a hobby, and isn't full-out on the flea market circuit. He's not doing any more shows this year, so if you want to buy bucktails or reasonably priced $5 Deep Divers, you'll have to catch him at a MSSA meeting. Nice meetin ya, Lou.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P3-22-09 015.jpg   P3-22-09 009.jpg  

P3-22-09 010.jpg   P3-22-09 013.jpg  

P3-22-09 011.jpg  

Default Larry the Shad Guy

I think he's also a MSSA member, not sure. I first met Larry and his sidekick at the Pasadena show. They remind me of Abbott and Costello with all the jokes and ball bustin they do, funny guys.

He's a small business guy who specializes in all kinds of shads. I was almost reaching my goal at the Pasadena show of no $$ spent on tackle when I spotted his bag-o-shads for $10, and I had to buy one. Fishing where bluefish and bass are mixed together, you lose a lot of shads, and I try not to pay too much. They're gonna get chomped or lost in structure anyway.

You want shads at a bargain price? Larry's got em, if you're willing to put up with his jokes and ball bustin. Nice meeting you guys again.

He'll be at the Solomon firehouse next, shads $5-20/ bag, one liners for free.

Name:	P3-22-09 016.jpg 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	6131

Name:	P3-22-09 017.jpg 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	6132

Name:	P3-22-09 021.jpg 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	6133

Default Bluefin's Bait and Tackle dundalk Maryland

First met Brian and his wife at the Pasadena show, they sell of a lot of daisy chains and parachute bucktails. I think one of the reasons is that Brian is a good salesman. He also takes time to go into detail and explain different facets of using these, and fishing in general, to all the new guys.

There was a small crowd around his table at the Pasadena show, which shows you that people wanted to hear what he had to say.

Name:	P3-22-09 024.jpg 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	6134

Name:	P3-22-09 026.jpg 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	6135

Name:	P3-22-09 027.jpg 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	6136

Name:	P3-22-09 028.jpg 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	6137

Name:	P3-22-09 029.jpg 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	6138

Default Ensign Eel Artificials Bill Shaprow Jr

Met Bill the owner of Ensign Eel Artificials and his wife. Eel teasers made by hand, and other custom lures for Marlin, Tuna, Dolphin, and Wahoo.

These things are long, anywhere from 3-8". Looking back, I'm sorry I didn't grab a few of these, many were bargain priced at $1. Nice looking artificials for when the sandeels are around. His next show will be Wilson Point, catch him at it, and check out those eeeeeeels!

Name:	P3-22-09 031.jpg 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	6140

Default Mitchell's Tackle Milton Delaware

Met Frank and his lovely wife Shirley. He's been doing this for 30 years, and is well known for the double hook bucktail he sells, which looks like a bucktail with a stinger hook, for those short-hitting fish. Nice meeting you both.

You can catch them next at the Solomon firehouse.

Name:	P3-22-09 032.jpg 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	6141

Name:	P3-22-09 033.jpg 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	6142

Name:	P3-22-09 034.jpg 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	6143

Default Frank the sinker and lead man

Frank is the guy to go for your sinker and lead needs. He's been doing this for 20 years. Buy a lot and he'll cut you a deal (that's less pounds he has to lug out back to his truck at the end of the day) : Nice meetin ya Frank!

Name:	P3-22-09 036.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	6144

Name:	P3-22-09 035.jpg 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	6145

Name:	P3-22-09 038.jpg 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	6146

Default MSSA Scholarship fund table

I was all set to walk out of the place when I walked by this table near the exit. They do this on purpose, great marketing idea. So they tell you that all the stuff here is donations, and all the money collected goes to the scholarship fund that I talked about in the 3rd post. How can you NOT spend a couple bucks here? I got a glazed look in my eyes, and will admit I did have a problem limiting myself at that table.

Hey, but it's for the kids, right? All for a good cause, Bill and the guys, nice meeting ya's, you all did a great job putting a good show together.

Name:	P3-22-09 039.jpg 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	6147

Name:	P3-22-09 040.jpg 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	6148

Name:	P3-22-09 041.jpg 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	6149

Name:	P3-22-09 042.jpg 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	6150

Name:	P3-22-09 043.jpg 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	6151

They also had a bunch of other tables outside, which I didn't get to check out. I had time to grab delicious pit beef sammich made by the members' wives. Delicious sandwich.

Then I had to get back on the road again to make the Somerset show. It was nice meeting you all. Great show!

Darkskies, You should be a writer for a magazine. Not only do you have the ability to give details about the tackle they sell but you always add a personal story about them. Nice job, thanks.