This is pretty interesting, I had no idea all these areas were proposed on the East Coast. FinAddict, I went to the link you put up and checked it out for Connecticut. There is only 1, the McKinney NWR. I'll put it up here so folks who have never been there can check it out.

I hope they don't broaden this area to the shores of Connecticut. There is so little access here right now it would be terrible if they did that. Most of the guys I know find their access points near the rivers that flow into the sound because they are the most open areas. In many other areas, you have to know someone to fish. I thank you for putting it up. To be honest, I kind of thought MPAs were a California thing.

BTW, I looked at how many proposed MPAs they have in California - 63? Could that possibly be correct? We should all get involved in this. I'm going to put a thread in the Connecticut forum with a link here. Thanks, FinAddict.

Stewart B. McKinney
National Wildlife Refuge733 Old Clinton Road
Westbrook, CT 06498

There is no crabbing, fishing, or boating access from the refuge. However, Gatchen Creek and Menunketesuck River adjacent to the refuge, provide good areas for crabbing and kayaking. These areas may be accessed from the public boat launch on Rt 145 in Westbrook.

A waterfowl hunting program began in 2005 on 165 acres of the Great Meadows Unit. Waterfowl hunting is allowed in designed areas of this unit and requires a permit from the Refuge. There is no hunting on any other part of the refuge. Retrieval from refuge property is not allowed. Please contact the refuge for updates and further details.