Thread: different types of gear

Default different types of gear

For a newbie getting the gear can be just as stressful as having a new baby. You want to make the right choice. There are so many different kinds of gear out there how does one bein to choose? I thought it would be good to start a thread helping the newbie's out there by informing them on the different types of gear.
    Let's all chime in and give them a hand.
    Here is some basic information on different types of rods.

Surf Fishing Rod Basics

When you start the search for a surf fishing rod, you have many characteristics and options to take into consideration. There are endless options available to the consumer. We will try to provide you with the surf fishing rod basics that will come into play when you are looking for a surf fishing rod. The fundamental property of a surf fishing rod is the material or combination of materials that is the basis for the rod construction. At this time fishing rods available are made of fiberglass or graphite. Most rods are made from a combination (composite) of the two and can be found for very affordable prices.

Graphite Fishing Rods:

Graphite rods have been around for a long time and have reached maturity as the choice for fishing rods. The fact that the graphite rods are so light makes them favorite choice of anglers. Along with being very lightweight, they offer amazing sensitivity and feedback to the fisherman. You will be able to feel every bite from every fish and feel when the composition of the ocean floor changes as you retrieve lures.

Fiberglass Fishing Rods:

If you need a tough, durable rod, then a fiberglass rod should be your choice. This can be a perfect setup for children. The rods are super affordable and rugged enough to withstand torture. Think about being in a rod holder on the front of pickup truck while a 3 ounce weight bangs around and sand is flying by at 20 mph. If you choose to go with fiberglass you will be sacrificing sensitivity for durability. You will find that fiberglass fishing rods are also typically heavier than graphite rods. Keep this in mind is you are searching for a plugging rod. A fiberglass rod may be more suited for fishing cut bait in the surf.

Composite Fishing Rods:

Composite rods are built from a combination of fiberglass and graphite. This merger brings an economical fishing rod that is durable, sensitive and lightweight. Composite fishing rods are available from all major rod builders and are currently the most popular fishing rod available. The blend also provides more fishing flexibility to the angler. You are not stuck with a really heavy rod that you dread to throw Gotcha Plugs. You can use the same rod to fish cut mullet or a casting spoon.

So to be perfectly honest the choice of material has really been made for you by the masses and by the fishing rod manufacturers. Unless you have really deep pockets you are going to end up with a composite fishing rod. Now on to the one of the most important decision you will have to make when selecting yoursurf fishing rod. What weight should the rod be? The weight of the rod translates into the power of the rod. You will see weight listed as either Line Weight or Lure Weight. I believe that these two listings are fairly proportional because as the size of the fish increases so does the line and of course the lure follows.

I have simple basic setups myself, I started with a bargain rod and reel combo I saw on special at a tackle shop. When that became too heavy I graduated to a tica. I will get a Lamiglass one day soon, but for now I am not pulling in any cows, mostly schoolies and the occasional gator bluefish. I still use the bargain rod for a bait pole. The point of all this advice it to tell newbies to take it slow. Learn what you have available to you first. There are rods that some guys use for jetties, others for bridges, other stiffer rods for boats and deep channel fishing trolling etc. I like to keep things basic, but maybe that's just me. If I went to Montauk more, I would have to invest in some serious hardware. I would say where you fish should dictate the type of gear you should buy. Look at that first.

Choosing the Right Fishing Wader

Introduction
    Fishing Waders are the type of equipment that once you have a pair, you wonder how you ever went fishing with out them. We sell a lot of waders and field just as many questions on waders in general. Most of the time we ask more questions than we field as that is the way to find out what our customers real needs are!

Waders have come a long way from wool, canvas and plastic leg wrappings in that order. Once Neoprene showed up we all thought that things were really looking up; warmth and waterproof (well except for the sweat, but warmth for sure!).

Of course Breathable Waders are now here and if sized correctly and with the proper undergarments on (more on this later) they outperform the Neoprene hands down.

Types of Waders
    Neoprene verse Breathable is really what we’re talking about here.
    Neoprene waders came from the diving world and require a thin film of moisture on the inside that acts like a thermal barrier, once warm you stay warm. However your sweat is the thin film.

Breathable Waders came from the mountaineering world and mean just that. Water is allowed to wick away from the inside to the outside, but not vice versa. Can you say Gortex? You remain truly dry on the inside.

Pros and Cons
    One of the complaints against Breathable Waders is their life cycle, which is shorter than Neoprene. You can find Neoprene waders 20 years old but with current technology you will not find Breathable Waders that old. They just don’t last that long.
    In our opinion, a decently made pair of breathable waders, which are stored properly and not abused will last 5 years.

Another complaint is that Breathable Waders are colder than Neoprene.
    True if you wear the wrong undergarments. To be breathable you also have to wear breathable clothing that wick moisture away from your skin and move it progressively outward to the wader skin. If you wear cotton or denim pants such as jeans you are stopping this process and the moisture cools to the outside temperature causing you to get cold. If you wear 100% breathable clothing under your breathable waders then you will stay dry and warm!

There are advantages to neoprene waders versus the breathable waders.
    The first is comfort while float tubing. Breathable waders just don’t fit and move like neoprene. Neoprene gives the user more freedom of movement without straining the seams. If someone using the float tube was wearing breathable waders, he/she would most likely experience chaffing along the inner thighs and behind the knees. This simply does not happen with neoprene if sized correctly.
    However, breathable waders are definitely an advantage for those who use pontoon boats. The pontoon boat keeps the angler off the water and gives the user the option to use either the oars or electric motors as a primary source of propulsion, while staying completely dry and comfortable. Less leg movement will result in less chaffing.

Again our opinion here but the comfort level between Breathable Waders and Neoprene Waders is so great that there is no question in our minds which is the way to go. Breathable waders are without a doubt the most comfortable way to wade your local streams or rivers.
    You will echo our opinion when you decide to go breathables – What took me so long!! Buy Breathable Waders!!

Booted or Stocking Foot Waders

It seemed that not long ago you could get your waders with attached boots or without, your choice as most manufactures had them in these configurations. What happened? Now it is hard to find them with attached boots so an additional expense of separate wading boots is required.
    Well the manufactures had all kinds of problems with the booted variety, leaks, leaks and more leaks. It was not the wearing of the waders that caused the problem. It was after taking them off fishermen would fling them over their shoulders or into the truck. The weight of the boots gave a great centrifugal force to the effort and stress across the seams was the result. Technology is starting to catch up to the requirement and some manufactures are producing the booted variety again.
    If you are fishing a few times per year then a booted wader is easiest. However if your fishing more than a few times per year comfort will quickly become important. A properly fitted stocking foot wader with the correct boots will provide that comfort level.
    Boot foot waders are like wearing your rubber boots. There is far too much movement and far too little stability. Not to mention, very few come with felt soles for traction. Added traction equals added safety.

Sizing Waders
    Wader comfort is all about your height, weight and build. When it comes to breathable if you get it wrong the life of your waders will be lessened. If the inseam is too long then material will bunch up when you walk in them and cause rubbing in the crotch and knee area which will lead to leaks in the seams. Too short and when you bend over or climb over obstacles you excessively stretch the material along the seam, again causing leaks over time.

http://www.reactionbaits.com/tips_choose_waders.aspx