Thread: skishing?

Hybrid View

Let me go on record as saying that "those guys" who swim out to rocks get all the respect in the world in my book. Whether we're talking about Melnyk and Frank Blasko, any of the other hardcore Montauk guys.

Or the guys who do it in other places, like Gunny aka Stripercoast1, Jake, anyone else who's insane enough to do it.

Someone recently mentioned that some were offended by their attitudes. The last I checked, living in the US gives you freedom to have an attitude.

None of that stuff matters to me, all that counts is that they love fishing. Blasko might look like a character from a Steven King movie but he's a helluva fisherman. I fished with him, and would fish with him again anytime.

Melnyk is an icon in the fishing community as well. Some call him crazy, some say he has a death wish. Some think he's rude.
    Most of the guys who really know Paul will tell you that he will talk to anyone about the thing he loves most, skishing.

I got news for fishermen out there, there are characters that are a lot less friendly than these 2, especially if you mug their spot at night.

So to Melnyk and Blasko. They're doing it their way, and don't care if people like it or not. Effumall!

Mr Sid Vicious salutes them too. RIP, Sid.

Default Surfcasting com, Paul Melnyk's site

Here's a link to his site.

He's a great guy with some amazing stories to tell, check it out.

http://www.surfcasting.com/

One more thing I forgot to mention Porgy. It's a hell of a lot of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Frankiesurf View Post
    One more thing I forgot to mention Porgy. It's a hell of a lot of fun!
    It's gotta be a blast, when will you start wearing the "seal suit" this year, Frank?

you are one of the fearless guys who go out to the rocks, Dark. Once being about how the water up to your neck on the way out. Do you wear a wetsuit or are you just wanting the punishment of the cold ocean water?

I think we have alot of fearless fishermen on this site. How about letting us in on some of your experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by voyager35 View Post
    I think we have alot of fearless fishermen on this site. How about letting us in on some of your experiences?
    Sure thing

Twas a Dark & Stormy Night

Skishing - THE Cow of 2009

Stripercoast Surfcasters Club
    Dedicated to Conservation

Quote Originally Posted by ledhead36 View Post
    I remember in a previous post somewhere that you are one of the fearless guys who go out to the rocks, Dark. Once being about how the water up to your neck on the way out. Do you wear a wetsuit or are you just wanting the punishment of the cold ocean water?
    Ledhead, I don't even come close to what these guys are doing. I couldn't hold a candle to their skishing skills.

Guys like Paul Melnyk, who although not the inventor of skishing, but one of the most vocal promoters, have brought the sport of skishing and the safety concerns to the level it's at today.
    www.surfcasting.com

Guys like Frank Blasko who just want to get out there and get away from the crowds, and accept the risks they take.

Guys like Gunny & Jake from www.Stripercoastsurfcasters.us and

www.skishingnewengland.com, and many more who have been doing it on their own for years, long before the internet and the seminars...

These guys all got into it for different reasons. One of the things I want to stress is the safety aspect.

I met a guy at Montauk who told me a great skishing story. I believe I posted it here, I'll have to look for it. Unfortunately, it almost turned out as a news item because the guy was swept out to sea at night by the strong current.

It's still a great story, and makes me fully aware of the need to be prepared and do a lot of research before you get into something like this.

Here's an older video where Paul is interviewed...

Quote Originally Posted by ledhead36 View Post
    I remember in a previous post somewhere that you are one of the fearless guys who go out to the rocks, Dark. Once being about how the water up to your neck on the way out. Do you wear a wetsuit or are you just wanting the punishment of the cold ocean water?
    If you have a dry top that is truly dry you can do it in waders and the dry top.

That being said Make damn sure your dry top is Dry. I bought a paddling top the thing is not overly comfortable at first but you get used to it and it is 100% dry. I was submerged this fall in it and I was dry underneath. Filling a set of waders can be as deadly as wearing concrete shoes out there. I would never skish in it but i look like a manatee on glue so sharks would prolly eat me any how.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    It's gotta be a blast, when will you start wearing the "seal suit" this year, Frank?
    He won't need that. I'll just strap him onto my back. I've got plenty of buoyancy for the 2 of us
    Enjoy the Journey

Quote Originally Posted by Doublerunner View Post
    He won't need that. I'll just strap him onto my back. I've got plenty of buoyancy for the 2 of us
    Roflmao, DR! I think the thing that saves a lot of guys from being sharkbait when skishing is that they're too big for sharks to think of as a food source.
    Frankie might not be so lucky, we'll have to make sure he's current on the life insurance policy before he heads out into the water this year.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Roflmao, DR! I think the thing that saves a lot of guys from being sharkbait when skishing is that they're too big for sharks to think of as a food source.
    Frankie might not be so lucky, we'll have to make sure he's current on the life insurance policy before he heads out into the water this year.
    Frankie i would live line him with with a 12/0 8x circle hook and a Senator.