Thread: skishing?

Hybrid View

Default skishing?

So would anybody do this? This guy Paul Melnyk is crazy! And the yellow flippers, wouldn't they make them better for sharks to see? Then you look at the fish he catches, and think, I want to try that! How many here would? Crazy stuff, beautiful cows!

did u hear the part where he says thats a small one, lol. I wud do it, who cares about a few sharks?

Default skish

Paul is crazy but not a fool.
    i'd say he is the Tred Barta of skishing.
    I wouldn't try it as I have seen what swims out there but I woud watch from shore!

R-P
    Takes a Big Man to sling Big Wood,,,,boys sling plastic,,,,,,,

C'mon RP, we ain't gettin any younger, if ya lose one leg to a shark ya always got the other one. I was at Montauk last year and saw something bobbing up and down 300 yards from shore. Too big to be a seal, and it was bobbing around where the boats were. Checked it out with the binocs, and it was a guy skishing!

A friend of mine knows him, says that's what he lives for. At least when he dies, he won't have any regrets. I just might try it this year, gotta upgrade my gear first.

Default Question - Skishing, Who has the answer?

Ok guys here is my question of the week.

What the heck is skishing?
    Last edited by DarkSkies; 07-21-2009 at 05:51 AM. Reason: merged threads

A combination of scuba diving and fishing. You wear a wetsuit, swim fins, some safety gear. Then you take your submersible reel and rod and and swim out to a rock, or you just float with the current. Cast, retrieve, and pull the big fish in, usually at night. Don't mind the sharks, there aren't too many.

Would you like one of us to set you up with some gear Katie?

skishing at montauk, Katie check out 1:10 and 2:40

That is some crazy kind of fishing. I will swim out to a rock, but the idea of swimming and casting eels 300 yards off the beach is too much for me. If you catch a trophy out there you deserve it.

I'll do it when Jimbob does it.

Here is an article from Forbes about Skishing and Paul Melnyk
    Skishing

Monte Burke, 10.02.08, 06:00 PM EDT
    Forbes Magazine dated October 27, 2008
    Combine fishing, swimming and water skiing and you get a most peculiar sport.

``Combine fishing, swimming and water skiing--try not to add a shark-- and you get a most peculiar sport

On a windy and overcast autumn day in Montauk, N.Y., the easternmost part of Long Island, I don a full-body, 7-millimeter wetsuit and flippers, and effectively put my life in the hands of a man who seems to have little regard for his own. Paul Melnyk-- a burly 53-year-old who has Jack Nicholson's gravelly voice and the same raffish tilt to the eyebrow--is the creator of a discipline of extreme fishing known as "skishing," in which the practitioner swims in the open ocean while fishing. Melnyk, a cabinet maker by day, calls himself the "skishin' magician," and boasts that the word "skishing" is now found in the Microsoft (nasdaq: MSFT - news - people ) Encarta dictionary. "It's actually swim-fishing," he says. "But 'swishing' just didn't sound right to me."

Melnyk and I find an open slot among the crowd of surfcasters on the beach and duckwalk backwards into the rough sea. We fall in and then kick on our backs hard for 50 yards to get out of the breaking waves that shoot briny water up my nose. When we are 100 yards from shore, we stop swimming, caught--by design--in a fast-moving, northwesterly riptide, buoyed by our thick wetsuits. This is where the fish are. With a long cast made by Melnyk at the crest of a 4-foot wave, we are officially skishing.

It's oddly serene in the middle of the ocean. We are well out of reach of the beach fishers. The cacophony of breaking waves is a distant rumble. The half-dozen charter boats chasing schools of fish are another 200 yards or so out from us. This is Melnyk's zone. "It's a stealthy way to fish," he says. "The fish think you're just a log or something." We bob in the waves. Striped bass crash bait near us. Hovering birds overhead occasionally swoop down to pick through the carnage.

It's almost enough to make you forget the dangers, first and foremost drowning. Melnyk says first-time skishers often panic and have to be taken back to shore. A strong enough riptide can send you flying past the tip of Montauk, next stop Portugal. A few years ago a man skishing at night got caught in a strong rip, hooked a rock and spent a harrowing few hours holding on before being rescued by a boat.

Melnyk discovered skishing one day by accident, when, fishing from a rock, he was pulled into the ocean by a 40-pound fish. "I panicked at first, then I enjoyed it," he says. Likewise, there's always the chance a skisher will catch something so big and powerful that he finds himself doing some impromptu face-first skiing.

Then there are the sharks.
    While Montauk is one of the world's premier destinations for striped bass, it's equally famous as a shark hot spot. The late Montauk fishing captain Frank Mundus, who claimed to be the inspiration for the shark-hunting character Quint in Jaws, caught great whites weighing 4,500 and 3,427 pounds. (He also penned the literary classic Fifty Years a Hooker.) Says Melnyk, "I've seen fins and been bumped by them. But they don't mess with me because I show no fear. I'm not afraid of dying."

Before I have time to let that statement sink in, Melnyk rears back with his rod and hooks into a striped bass. The fish jerks him forward just a bit, but he quickly regains control and reels it in. It's not a big bass--8 pounds or so; he's caught stripers up to 50 while skishing--but Melnyk lets out a howl nonetheless and holds the fish up so the fishless surfcasters witness his success. Then he kisses the fish on the lips and flings it high in the air, an act meant to incense the surfcasters.

Battle lines have been drawn. Melnyk has it in for the surfcasters, whom he refers to as "the billion morons on the shore." He only went whole hog into skishing in 1995, after being kicked out of a surfcasting tournament for swimming out to a rock to fish. "I really do this to spite those shore guys," he says. "I always wanted to be notorious for something." He's succeeded.
    Melnyk and I start in for shore just before reaching the invisible line drawn out from the Montauk lighthouse, where the riptide can get unbearably strong. He has to make his 6 p.m. choral practice (he's a baritone). We emerge from the water like two sea monsters. He pulls down the top of his wetsuit, revealing a tattoo covering his entire right shoulder: a skeleton catching a striped bass. We pass a surfcaster, who stares at Melnyk, jaws agape like a hooked striper. "You ain't all there, are you?" says the surfcaster. Melnyk just grins.

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2008/1027/202.html

Default Swimming to the rocks

I was reading about how guys swim out to rocks in wetsuits and korkers. I heard that the fast moving current near the rocks could be dangerous. What am I missing?

What you are missing (standing on shore) is deeper water, a hole, a rip or some far out structure.

It always helps to know the terrain you are fishing.

There is inherent danger in surfcasting. From the thrashing blue on the beach with trebles hanging out of its face to being knocked off a rock and possibly slamming your head on another one.

You have to know your limits and stick to them.

Let me go on record as saying that "those guys" who swim out to rocks get all the respect in the world in my book. Whether we're talking about Melnyk and Frank Blasko, any of the other hardcore Montauk guys.

Or the guys who do it in other places, like Gunny aka Stripercoast1, Jake, anyone else who's insane enough to do it.

Someone recently mentioned that some were offended by their attitudes. The last I checked, living in the US gives you freedom to have an attitude.

None of that stuff matters to me, all that counts is that they love fishing. Blasko might look like a character from a Steven King movie but he's a helluva fisherman. I fished with him, and would fish with him again anytime.

Melnyk is an icon in the fishing community as well. Some call him crazy, some say he has a death wish. Some think he's rude.
    Most of the guys who really know Paul will tell you that he will talk to anyone about the thing he loves most, skishing.

I got news for fishermen out there, there are characters that are a lot less friendly than these 2, especially if you mug their spot at night.

So to Melnyk and Blasko. They're doing it their way, and don't care if people like it or not. Effumall!

Mr Sid Vicious salutes them too. RIP, Sid.

Default Surfcasting com, Paul Melnyk's site

Here's a link to his site.

He's a great guy with some amazing stories to tell, check it out.

http://www.surfcasting.com/

One more thing I forgot to mention Porgy. It's a hell of a lot of fun!

Default Why wear a wet suit

The How and Why to Be a Cool Wetsuiter-Dude!

Why does a skilled surf rat choose to desert the ease and comfort of a sandy beach to embrace the shear terror and pounding of those far rocks, donning a rubber girdle and inhaling seawater? For those of us who are obsessed with surfcasting, it is only a natural progression to flee to these rocks to achieve the piece and quiet that is prevalent within this frothing whitewater. For the wetsuiter, the fearsome prospect of pain; waiting for that seven foot wall of water to break over your head and the sensation of being blown away like a dead leaf is an adrenaline rush, pure and simple. There are however, redeeming characteristic to this lunacy. You will catch fish out there, Many big fish.

In truth, the larger variety of the species Morone Saxatilus is predominant to the crashing surf zone. Bubbles. Oxygen is like a stimulant to the cow bass, and the deeper waters of the danger zone is prone to inciting them to strike. That is not to say that a slob can not be taken while standing in a foot of water. In fact, a few overtly lucky casters have scored while casting from the sand, but the far surf has a call of its own for the demented souls who roam within the wash. A strangely deranged form of peace may be found there.

I found myself within this fraternity of crackpots while standing with the Dukes of Amateurism on the beaches of Montauk. This inauguration began during a fall rife with massive aggravation and aggression. During the aforementioned season, I had the misfortune to stand next to numerous jerks that were convinced bucktail were the proper implements for performing bodily piercings. On one occasion under the Montauk Lighthouse, I was forced to listen to a "jamope" sing the “Four Seasons” ditty “Oh What a Night” as a fanfare for each rat bass he caught, (there were many rat bass for him that night). After an hour of caterwauling I began to sing “Oh, please shut uh-uh-up!” as my own personal revision of those bad disco lyrics. A few days later I witnessed an altercation between two belligerent casters who were convinced that their fishing rods were jousting lances. This was enough to convince me to remove myself from these teaming masses of fools. It was my destiny to go into the deep.

For the fledgling rock hopper, the natural inclination is to venture out to these perches in waders. This usually is performed like a Ballerina on tipity-toes. Often the neophyte will venture a step too far and experience the sensation of chilled water filling his boots. It is important to include a tight belt or two to your garb. You should be prepared to hold your breath for a few minutes while in transit, it is assured that you will be set asunder by that rogue wave. It is not uncommon to find many loose plugs floating out there in that wash, however,those Plugs will be your plugs. Mother nature has the uncanny ability to rip your tackle bag open, spilling your gear. Everything on your person must be either tethered or you will risk having them lost. As you see, there are very few reasons to fish those far rocks in waders, unless of course you have masochistic tenancies,in which case, a wetsuit is called for.

OK, so now you want a wetsuit, right? There are many reasons for donning the neoprene. I personally like the freedom of being away from those “teaming hoards” of day trippers while swimming to the outer rocks of the South side of Montauk’s Striper Coast. I also hate the idea of getting maimed or mortified as I bounce among those rocks in an expensive set of breathable Orvis waders. It is a lot easier to swim in a wetsuit than in waders for the simple fact that a wetsuit floats. You are not going to be turned turtle in a wetsuit (although you may still have to hold your breath)and you will need grow a set of brass ones to get up the courage to fish a far rock in the dark...

Fat guys have the advantage when rock hopping. A bovine stature improves the anchorage as the corpulent caster clings onto these rocks like some obstinate sea anemone. The diminutive wetsuiter, on the other hand, can make some progress with cleated boots, but these fellows often find that they just don't have the mass to counter the force of inertia. Often these fellows will be found floating face down in the wash on the whitewater days of cows and glory. Portly surf pounders have the tendency to float better. Maintaining a layer of cushioning blubber, they can easily absorb the inevitable trauma of being launched into a boulder by the wave which creeps up on their collective butts while lookin' at that buoyant little punk. Of course there is that whole physical thing to traversing those rocks. You gotta be in good shape to fish outer shoals. Chubby Chasers are better suited to making haste, slowly (an oxymoron, no?).

This brings us into the realm of the Extreme Surfcaster, to whom the wetsuit is an indispensable tool. The flotation qualities of a 6mm Farmer John is what makes it all so doable. Another reason for the neoprene is to allow an added margin of cushion for those inevitable blows. Don’t forget that a foam suit can also act as a shock absorber If you do a prat fall into the rocks.

The wetsuit was developed in the early sixties by a guy named Loyd Bridges for his TV series called “Sea Hunt” (Jock Cousteau also had something to do with it). Seriously, the Allied forces during WWII created a rubber outfit as a means for military frogmen to infiltrate enemy territory underwater with a reasonable sense of comfort. These early suits were generally made from latex rubber and were very different than the units available today.

The wetsuit works on the principle of conservation of heat. The suit in itself does not make the wearer warm, instead, a thin layer of seawater is heated to body temperature by the transfer of warmth between the skin and this film. For extra warmth on those cold nights, it is acceptable to pee within this sheath. Also understand that no matter how well your wetsuit fits, you will not stay permanently warm if the surrounding water is frigid. Eventually, you will loose this thermal barrier and get the big chill (just like being married, no?).

I am often asked to give recommendations for wetsuits that are best for surfcasting.”
    OK, to begin with, you must decide what it is that you intend to do in your wetsuit. Most often, a surfcaster dons a wetsuit so he can look cool on the beach. A wetsuit is a chick magnet and many a poser will never venture further than the high tide line. Then again, some fellows seek the wetsuit for the comfort and warmth supplied by use, to make them feel like they are, once again close to Mom.
    The largest market in the wetsuit business is by far the scuba diver and this is to whom the manufacturers seek to please. Another niche is the surfer dude, who has a different set of parameters. Fishermen have adopted the wetsuit as an indispensable tool for the extreme environment of the surf. Alas, we are the bastard children in this market and little concern is made for fishing stuff (like a place to put your cigarettes). There are three main types of wetsuit that we will be looking to as far as being practical for fishing. These are the surfer dude suit, the one piece “Sea Hunt” suit and the two piece, or cold water (are you crazy?) suit. Special care must be taken to purchase the right size and style of wetsuit. I would strongly recommend that you go to a good local dive or surf shop to purchase your wetsuit. Here, you will be able to try on different styles and sizes, or if need be, have a suit custom made to your difficult configuration... Some fellows feel compelled to buy via catalog or Internet. This is only realistic if you know exactly what you want in consideration of its size/cut/manufacturer. I have on occasion taken this route, although I find the expense of returning the wrong size several times makes up for the added cost tendered by the local dive/surf shop. Be aware that you get what you pay for, and remember, chicks dig stripes...

OK. you think you want a surfers suit. Pros: They are relatively less expensive priced between $100 and $200. They are light, generally made up of 1-2-3 mm of neoprene. They look really cool. They are readily available at surf shops which are more common than dive shops. A surf suit is best when it is a full, one piece affair, with a zipper in the front. Why zip in the front you ask? Simple, unless you are female, it is hard to pee from the back. OK, it is also easier to put on if the closure is in the front.

The suits made for diving are a more practical choice for the fisherman. These tend to be thicker and often come with hard rubber pads on the knees. This is a good thing. They will float better, and will allow you bash your shins with abandon! They are warmer and will allow you to fish longer through those fall nights while your best girl waits patiently for your return. You no doubt, will find that you are less comfortable while jogging down the beach in the attempt to catch that blitz in the distance. Bring lots of fresh water to drink. You do not want to dehydrate before you get home and you also need fuel for that special “heating element”.

In the later part of the season, you may need to wear a hood, gloves and booties so you can look like a gangsta for Halloween. Gloves and booties are easy. You buy your regular glove/shoe size. A hood is a different story. A hood must fit snugly, but not so tight as to restrict the flow of blood within your carotid arteries! You could pass out, or worse, have a stroke, if you have a big fat head and a teeny-weeny hood. You will find that you can tie Korkers right on a sneaker foot booties so you can claw your way onto that rock during a Nor-Easter. Some of the more affluent among us use cleated guide boots to look really cool.

Now you are a big-time, sharpie, wetsuiter. All the googs will gawk as you stroll by in your nifty digs. You will never get a hook in your ear again. The girls will all swoon as they see you leaving large ruts in the sand while you drag your bum leg (you know, the leg that was jammed in the rocks the night before?).

http://www.surfcasting.com/2009/10/h...suiter_14.html

Quote Originally Posted by lostatsea View Post
    The How and Why to Be a Cool Wetsuiter-Dude!

Now you are a big-time, sharpie, wetsuiter. All the googs will gawk as you stroll by in your nifty digs. You will never get a hook in your ear again. The girls will all swoon as they see you leaving large ruts in the sand while you drag your bum leg (you know, the leg that was jammed in the rocks the night before?).
    I don't know about the swooning part, but hey whatever it takes to impress the girls, right? Informative article, thanks for sharing.