Thread: skishing?

Hybrid View

Default Swimming to the rocks

I was reading about how guys swim out to rocks in wetsuits and korkers. I heard that the fast moving current near the rocks could be dangerous. What am I missing?

What you are missing (standing on shore) is deeper water, a hole, a rip or some far out structure.

It always helps to know the terrain you are fishing.

There is inherent danger in surfcasting. From the thrashing blue on the beach with trebles hanging out of its face to being knocked off a rock and possibly slamming your head on another one.

You have to know your limits and stick to them.

Let me go on record as saying that "those guys" who swim out to rocks get all the respect in the world in my book. Whether we're talking about Melnyk and Frank Blasko, any of the other hardcore Montauk guys.

Or the guys who do it in other places, like Gunny aka Stripercoast1, Jake, anyone else who's insane enough to do it.

Someone recently mentioned that some were offended by their attitudes. The last I checked, living in the US gives you freedom to have an attitude.

None of that stuff matters to me, all that counts is that they love fishing. Blasko might look like a character from a Steven King movie but he's a helluva fisherman. I fished with him, and would fish with him again anytime.

Melnyk is an icon in the fishing community as well. Some call him crazy, some say he has a death wish. Some think he's rude.
    Most of the guys who really know Paul will tell you that he will talk to anyone about the thing he loves most, skishing.

I got news for fishermen out there, there are characters that are a lot less friendly than these 2, especially if you mug their spot at night.

So to Melnyk and Blasko. They're doing it their way, and don't care if people like it or not. Effumall!

Mr Sid Vicious salutes them too. RIP, Sid.

Default Surfcasting com, Paul Melnyk's site

Here's a link to his site.

He's a great guy with some amazing stories to tell, check it out.

http://www.surfcasting.com/

One more thing I forgot to mention Porgy. It's a hell of a lot of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Frankiesurf View Post
    One more thing I forgot to mention Porgy. It's a hell of a lot of fun!
    It's gotta be a blast, when will you start wearing the "seal suit" this year, Frank?

you are one of the fearless guys who go out to the rocks, Dark. Once being about how the water up to your neck on the way out. Do you wear a wetsuit or are you just wanting the punishment of the cold ocean water?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    It's gotta be a blast, when will you start wearing the "seal suit" this year, Frank?
    He won't need that. I'll just strap him onto my back. I've got plenty of buoyancy for the 2 of us
    Enjoy the Journey