Thread: skishing?

Hybrid View

You would never catch me out bobbing like a wounded seal. Actually I would probably look more like a walrus, so according to dark's logic I could be safe. Good luck with that, news at 11.

Thanks for the plug and links to my site you put in this thread Rich

If you're wondering about why someone would choose skishing over surfcasting from shore, read this:
    Why Skishing?

Keep in mind that there are 2 breeds of crazies who don the suit. Those who do it as a safer way to fish the rocks, and those who skish. Swimming to a rock and climbing up onto it to fish, while plenty hardcore, is not really skishing...

If you're fishing the rocks in heavy surf, the wetsuit is a much safer option than waders for several reasons. Here are just a few reasons to choose a wetsuit over waders, even if you don't plan on going for a swim...

1. You do not have to worry about getting dunked or swept off your rock.
    2. A wetsuit provides plenty of bouyancy so that, in the event you do find yourself swept off your rock by that bigger than usual wave, you do not have to expend any energy staying afloat and can focus on getting back to your perch.
    3. A wetsuit, especially a thick 5 or 7mm suit, provides some really nice full body padding that you do not have with a pair of breathable waders. Padding that is very welcome if/when you find yourself loosing your footing and bouncing off the rocks.
    4. If you fish in the above mentioned conditions on a regular basis, you'll get real tired, real quick of patching holes and tears in your expensive breathable waders....

Stripercoast Surfcasters Club
    Dedicated to Conservation