Thread: skishing?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by ledhead36 View Post
    I remember in a previous post somewhere that you are one of the fearless guys who go out to the rocks, Dark. Once being about how the water up to your neck on the way out. Do you wear a wetsuit or are you just wanting the punishment of the cold ocean water?
    Ledhead, I don't even come close to what these guys are doing. I couldn't hold a candle to their skishing skills.

Guys like Paul Melnyk, who although not the inventor of skishing, but one of the most vocal promoters, have brought the sport of skishing and the safety concerns to the level it's at today.
    www.surfcasting.com

Guys like Frank Blasko who just want to get out there and get away from the crowds, and accept the risks they take.

Guys like Gunny & Jake from www.Stripercoastsurfcasters.us and

www.skishingnewengland.com, and many more who have been doing it on their own for years, long before the internet and the seminars...

These guys all got into it for different reasons. One of the things I want to stress is the safety aspect.

I met a guy at Montauk who told me a great skishing story. I believe I posted it here, I'll have to look for it. Unfortunately, it almost turned out as a news item because the guy was swept out to sea at night by the strong current.

It's still a great story, and makes me fully aware of the need to be prepared and do a lot of research before you get into something like this.

Here's an older video where Paul is interviewed...

JakeF of Stripercoast surfcasters wrote this article about "Skishing and Safety."

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...kishing+safety

He also started a site called www.skishingnewengland.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skishing-Jake4.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	10282

Skishing = An extreme form of surfcasting, wherein the participant fishes with rod & reel while swimming. The word is a combination of "Ski"+"Fishing", as a large fish can provide a nice tow through the water. Originated in Montauk, NY, this sport is gaining popularity among hardcore surfcasters whose primary target is striped bass.

Check it out when you get a chance.