Thread: Handy tools to have

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by albiealert View Post
    Here is a list of handy tools to have around. Can't take credit for the list saw it on the web.

WIRE WHEEL: Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light. Also removes fingerprints and hard-earned guitar callouses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, 'Yeouw....'

EIGHT-FOOT LONG YELLOW PINE 4X4: Used for levering an automobile upward off of a trapped hydraulic jack handle.

TWEEZERS: A tool for removing wood splinters and wire wheel wires.

E-Z OUT BOLT AND STUD EXTRACTOR: A tool ten times harder than any known drill bit that snaps neatly off in bolt holes thereby ending any possible future use.

AIR COMPRESSOR: A machine that takes energy produced in a coal-burning power plant 200 miles away and transforms it into compressed air that travels by hose to a Chicago Pneumatic impact gun that grips rusty bolts which were last over tightened 40 years ago by someone at VW, and instantly rounds
    off their heads. Also used to quickly snap off lug nuts.

PRY BAR: A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part.

MECHANIC'S KNIFE: Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on contents such as seats, vinyl records, liquids in plastic bottles, collector magazines, refund checks, and rubber or plastic parts. Especially useful for slicing work clothes, but only while in use. It is also useful for removing large chunks of human flesh from the user's hands.

: Yup, I've screwed up or made all the mistakes listed above. Only difference is I'll use a 2'x10", on it's side, to pry up something or a jack that fell. Also helps to have 2 floor jacks handy at any time.

Also, a 4.5" grinder with a diamond blade on it is a lifesaver. I cant tell you how many times it has helped me out of a bind. Makita grinder and smooth rimmed diamond blade combo ~ $100, and well worth it.

It's not an actual tool but it is always handy to have different size screws around.

Quote Originally Posted by OneMoreCast View Post
    Also, a 4.5" grinder with a diamond blade on it is a lifesaver. I cant tell you how many times it has helped me out of a bind. Makita grinder and smooth rimmed diamond blade combo ~ $100, and well worth it.
    Good tip, OneMoreCast, a good grinder will help you to work more efficiently and save you much aggravation.

Cutting cast iron pipe I used to use a sawzall with hardened blades. I bought some grinding discs in bulk, and now use the grinder for the job, cuts through cast iron like a dream. So what if you use a few discs, it's a lot faster than the old ways.

Default Sears Craftsman 46946 magnetic pick up tool

This was a sanity saver for me the other night. I was changing spark plugs, and they were recessed in the manifold. I couldn't reach my fingers in there to grab them after loosening them. Opened my handy dandy pickup tool for the first time, and it took all the aggravation away. Great tool for guys who do their own auto repair work.

I like the craftsman screw-out for stripped screws.