Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: catch and release tips and CONTEST!.....

Default Re: Catch and release tips and CONTEST!.....

I just read this on another forum : "IF you're going to release Stripers after catching - read this !
    1. Get the fish back in the water within 30 seconds - or less !
    Reason - study showed brain damage likely begins within 30 seconds- and even if your fish swims away, it may die later from " losing it's mind from lack of oxygen.

2. Hold the fish carefully - support the belly, and don't hold vertically by the lip, or head.
    Reason - the Stripers internal organs are built to handle water, and horizonal - not out of the water vertically.
    The organs shift, break lose from delicate internal connections, and the fish may die later.

So have the camera and tape measure ready - don't spend 1 - 2 minutes getting the pics done and then release the fish. By then, the fish is damaged - even if it swims off.

If you're going to release the fish, make sure it's done so the fish survives - otherwise, keep the fish and respect it by eating it.
    " I will admit that I struggle with this as well. When I catch a fish I want to take a pic to show my wife/ kids and friends. I may be releasing a fish that is not healthy all because MY EGO wanted to have a memorial of my catch. AM I any better than the guys who are taking more than their needs? I really should not even take the fish out of the water when releasing. I really need to consider my own actions.

Good deal rob. Here is something by the NOAA on July 23 in Brick in case anyone is interested. Sent as part of the DEP mailings.
    Hope everyone has a great 4th of July!

'njmarinefishing@listserv.state.nj.us'
    'njoutdoors@listserv.state.nj.us'

The NOAA National Marine Fisheries Service (NOAA Fisheries), along with the NJDEP Division of Fish and Wildlife, is inviting the public to attend a Port Meeting on Tuesday, July 23 at 6:00 p.m. in Ocean County. The Port Meeting will help saltwater anglers improve our marine fisheries by discussing best handling practices when releasing fish and learning about how anglers on other coasts are improving survival of angler released fish.

The meeting will cover such topics as the latest techniques, such as recompression devices, ways to reduce barotrauma effects (an increase in internal gas pressure that prevents fish from descending after being raised to the surface), release methods and devices, and programs that promote careful release and fish survival practices.

The public will be able to provide fisheries managers and scientists their ideas on how to best handle the fish they release.

The meeting will be at the Jersey Coast Shark Anglers Club in Brick. For more information, including directions, see http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/new...ortmeeting.htm on the Division's website.

They recently had a roundtable discussion at Monmouth U. Topic - Catch and release.

Default Re: catch and release tips and CONTEST!.....

Good discussion. Popovics- "Many anglers don't realize the repercssions from not releasing a fish properly"
    Tabory - talks about fishing before the moratorium and that there were nothing but big fish left. Thanks for sharing that jigfreak.

Liked the discussion thanks for posting. They made a good point. Alot of guys are new to fishing and striped bass too so they have to be educated. Parading a fish around the beach for everyone to see may seem harmless but it takes away from the fishs life. Get that camera ready when you reel it in. Take a few pics if you are not keeping it and get back in the water. It burns me up to see a 22" bass laying on the beach for 5 minutes while they fumble for the camera and have everyone taking turns getting a pic. Hey its only one bass but you multiply that by thousands and it can have an effect. get the fish back in the water asap.

When the surf is colder you have some more time. When it's warmer you should get it back out there within a minute. If shes tired revive her in a pocket and she will let you know when it's time.

This is a pdf hope it loads ok
    Best Practices for Striped Bass release
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/80ewuk5fx6...l%20Report.pdf

This is the funniest thing I have seen on catch and release.

And you release them, why? haha loved that.

Classic
    "You mean you let them grow bigger when you release, catch them again, and release them again - WHAT??"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12