Thread: Bathrooom rehab - door hits vanity

Default Bathrooom rehab - door hits vanity

Does anyone have an idea how to handle this problem? I am refinishing my bathroom. I had to move some things around, and the new toilet is hit by the door as it swings inward? The toilet is an elongated hi-rise toilet, and my wife wants that size, so I really don't have a lot of options.

You didn't describe the layout of your bathroom, so I will give you differnent options.

The process below assumes you have tried every possible option and configuration for the door opening and not hitting the toilet. Also, you didn't say HOW much it bangs against the toilet. If it is just a 1/8" or so, you could notch the door, sand it a little in the area. Any greater measurements, it will look like crap if you decide to do this.
    First of all, depends on if it is a RH or LH swing. Most bathroom doors are RH inswing. Assuming that, you could turn the door around, and change it into a LH. You would have to fill in the old spaces for the hinges and locksets, and then transfer the measurements to the other side. Also, turning it into a LH inswing door could take up more space, or interfere with someone who was already in the bathroom. Awkward at best.

Instead of doing that, if I were to have that as my only option, I would consider having the door open "outward" instead of inward. This requires a decent level of carpentry skills, re-chiseling, re-setting lockset, hinges, and maybe removing the trim, or at least the small door stop trim.

It works best for doors on a second floor of a house, where they can open outward into a hallway, with plenty of clearance. for a cramped bathroom on the first floor, might not be feasible depending on where the door swings out to.

You could also consider a pocket door if you are gutting the bathroom, and have enough room at the left wall of the bathroom near where the vanity will probably be installed.

If you are gutting the bathroom, pocket door is a nice option.