Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Action alert: Old Bridge shore access and EPA meeting update thread

Default Action alert: Old Bridge shore access and EPA meeting update thread

Hey guys there is a meeting on Wednesday April 1, 7pm at the Old Bridge Police HQ/Town hall at Cottrell ave and Rt 516, Old Bridge.

At this meeting, EPA representatives will be there to discuss and take questions from the general public on any comments or concerns about the proposed fencing of the beach taking place in less than 2 weeks.

Some fishermen fish that area in the early spring and then move on, so it might not get as much focus as Brookhaven, Long Branch, or someplace else.

Fencing in the proposed area:

1. Will push fishermen into other areas, resulting in overcrowding.
    2. Will not prevent fishing access by kayakers, boaters, only fishermen on foot.
    3. Seems discriminatory against the shore bound fisherman.

Details of contamination:
    I talked to quite a few people about this, and each time got different stories. Anyone who has any specific details please put them in the thread.

Action Plan/Remediation:

If anyone of you guys out there know any groups who fish that area and might get involved, Wednesday might be the last chance we get to speak out for fishermen. Please try to go to the meeitng if you live nearby, or ever fish there. Please relay this info to any site or fishermen you think people might be able to help.

Default Details and News articles

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/200...tan_bay_s.html

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3382

Feds seek closure of three Raritan Bay sites due to lead levels

by Aliyah Shahid/ For The Star-Ledger Thursday March 19, 2009, 8:46 AM

The Environmental Protection Agency has called for the immediate closing of three waterfront sites along the Raritan Bay in Old Bridge and Sayreville due to health concerns after finding high levels of lead in the area.
    "We found very, very high levels of lead," Walter Mugdan, the EPA's director of the Emergency and Remedial Response Division for the region, said earlier this week. "It's way above what anybody would think would be appropriate. ... It's a matter of concern."
    Patti Sapone/The Star-LedgerOld Bridge Waterfront Park in Old Bridge.
    Mugdan said the contaminated soil was found around the western jetty near Cheesequake Creek in Old Bridge, at a small beach north of the jetty in Sayreville, and at the Laurence Harbor sea wall in Old Bridge. The EPA has recommended those areas be closed immediately.
    According to the EPA's website, lead is considered a hazard when it is equal to or exceeds 1,200 parts per million in children's play areas.
    At the Laurence Harbor sea wall area, the range of lead sampled was as high as 142,000 parts per million. The sea wall is about 2,345 feet long.
    At the western jetty near Cheesequake Creek, the highest levels found were 198,000 parts per million. The average in the area was 52,399 parts per million. The jetty's size depends on the tide, but is about 755 feet long and 20 to 30 feet wide.
    At a half-acre beach area in Sayreville, just north of the Cheesequake Creek jetty, the range of lead sampled was the same as at the jetty -- as high as 142,000 parts per million.
    The EPA conducted the tests last September and released the results last week.
    Mugdan said he was particularly concerned about children playing on the beach, as they might accidentally ingest sand or track sand from their shoes inside their homes. He also said fishermen who stand on nearby jetties could also be exposed.
    Extreme exposure to lead can cause neurological damage, kidney disease, cardiovascular problems and reproductive toxicity, according to the EPA website.
    Mugdan said the EPA is awaiting test results that will determine if fish and other marine creatures have been affected.
    Wednesday morning, Jerry Bonnett, 69, of Westfield, was one of about 10 fishermen casting their lines into the waters near Cheesequake Creek. Bonnett was hoping to catch dinner for his family. Dressed in waist-high, khaki waders and black rubber boots, Bonnett said he has been fishing in the area for 40 years.
    The area is popular with fishermen and while swimming is prohibited, bathers are sometimes seen in the water.
    Old Bridge Business Administrator Michael Jacobs said the township is cooperating with the EPA and hopes to have signs and split-rail fences up in the next few weeks. Jacobs said previous tests conducted by the state Department of Environmental Protection did not reveal how widespread the problem was. "The EPA found lead outside of that scope, in areas we didn't know about. We were surprised, but are going to do whatever the EPA tells us," he said.
    While the EPA isn't ready to point fingers, the mayors of Sayreville and Old Bridge, in a statement last week, blamed former paint manufacturer National Lead Industries for the contamination. National Lead owned a 400-acre paint pigment manufacturing plant in Sayreville and a refining operation in Perth Amboy until the 1980s.
    Several calls this week to National Lead Industries, whose headquarters are in Dallas, were not returned.
    Beth Totman, an EPA spokeswoman said it's too early to address blame and the goal now is to begin cleanup. She said there are cases where the EPA funds projects and then retroactively enforces payment from a party it later deems responsible for the contamination.
    Lead slag was used to create a sea wall in Laurence Harbor in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Over the years, lead chipped off the sea wall and has been found on nearby beaches, Old Bridge Mayor James Phillips said.
    Sayreville Mayor Kennedy O'Brien said his borough has been aggressively seeking proposals to redevelop the beachfront.
    "We have the opportunity to create a great waterfront amenity for the people of Sayreville," he said. "National Lead needs to work with the EPA to conduct an immediate and comprehensive remediation program. Because we know the responsible party, there is no reason for this project to languish."
    Mugdan said the boroughs asked that the EPA to place the sites on a Superfund list so federal money would be available for the cleanup. But that would mean more tests. "It's not going to happen in a month or even a year," he said. "My guess is on a site like this, a longer-term remedy will be needed."
    In the meantime, some fisherman, like Bonnett, will continue to fish. "I've been fishing here forever," he said, adding after a moment of reflection, "But I might advise my grandchildren not to."

Default Some pics

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3-19-09 050.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	6299

These are the jetties where overcrowding will become a serious problem. There are only 3. Closing that much beachfront will just push people toward the areas that are not fenced off.

Name:	P3-19-09 046.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	6300

more pics

The submerged jetty to the right in the pic will allegedly be one of the boundary areas for closing off.

Name:	P3-19-09 052.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	6301

some more pics

Showing the proposed areas that will be fenced in. That's a pretty large area!

Name:	P3-19-09 064.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	6302

Name:	P3-19-09 065.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	6303

Another shot of the area that will receive the most pressure when the fences go up. A lot of people utilize these areas for recreation... fishermen, families, joggers, people exercising their dogs, and handicapped people.

The day I was there, I saw a younger girl drive her handicapped Dad to the parking lot where the proposed closing is, just to look at the beach. He looked in pretty bad shape,, and could barely fit in the car. After a few minutes of viewing the bay, they left. I imagine there are a lot of people whose enjoyment would be diminshed if the fences are put up.

Furthermore, it seems to impact fishermen and the poorer people unfairly, as anyone who has money to use that water and fish there will be able to do so from a boat or kayak. Where's the equity in that?

Name:	3-2009 050.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	6304

Resident's Comments:
    I met a local fisherman who spends a lot of time out there. He had a lot to say about the dumping, and some of the other companies who dumped in the Raritan Bay for years, without anyone even registering a protest.

He said:
    "There were a lot of guys dumping here in the 70's and 80's, National Lead were supposed to be involved, along with Spiral Metal and Terracotta Barrel Co, and a few others. They also dredged a lot of the sand from the Arthur Kill and dumped it on this side of the bay."

(I can't confirm any of this, I wasn't around then. I'm only reporting what he said.)

Default Economic impact

The local tackle shops have had down trending years (for the past 3) because of the recession and other issues. This closure could very well be the "straw that breaks the camel's back"

2 local shops, Fred's of S Amboy/Morgan and Skippy's of Laurence Harbor, are worried about their future.

I had a chance to talk with Kash of Fred's Tackle shop:

Kash is pretty friendly, but the talk got serious when we discussed the closing of the bayfront areas by the EPA and how it will affect his business.

He said: "I don't know what I'm going to do. Business has been down every year for the last 3 years to the point where this year my business is 55% of what it was 3 years ago. If another year is bad like the past ones, I will be very worried. This beach closure will have a bad affect on me.. I know the economy is bad, and everyone is scared to spend money. But other tackle shops have closed - Ray's Sporting goods, T&A tackle, some in NY, and I wonder if I won't be the next one to close!"

Despite all that, he could have made bitter statements about the EPA, but didn't.

He said: "I know the EPA is just doing their job. In fact, an EPA guy was here the other day to buy bait to go fishing! So I try to understand, but I want them to understand we are all hurting down here. This closure could finish us off for good!"

Default Old Bridge Public meeting with EPA and concerned citizens 4-1-09

The meeting was pretty well attended by town residents. Honestly, I thought a few more fishermen might have decided to come down, but the ones that came made some good points and raised some important questions.

Blanche from town hall coordinated all the questions and answers, she did a great job.

Overview:

The EPA officials presented the findings, showed us some maps of where the contamination was found, and talked about the areas that would be closed. They were helpful in answering almost everyone's questions, and offered to come back, sit in on meetings in the future, and keep a dialogue going. There were websites and hotlines posted so people could get the latest info and findings. When that stuff becomes available, I'll post it here. I'll also post the links.

I'm trying to do this by being fair and balanced, and present the good with the bad. I don't think it's smart for anyone who writes about this, whether in the newspapers, magazines, or internet forums, to talk about how the sky is falling. Yeah, the contamination there is serious. If a diligent effort was made to dig soil samples, I would guess there might be some levels of chemical contamination at many points of the Raritan Bay. You could also probably go to any bay near a major metropolitan area along the East Coast and find some level of chemical contamination, somewhere. Chemicals have been dumped down storm sewers and in rivers for years without thought of the consequences. Unfortunately, they wind up in the bays and estuaries.

Realistically, the levels of lead contamination from Sayreville to Cliffwood are horrendously above the recommended maximums. This closure could very well be one of the largest Superfund sites in recent years. There's no way to sugercoat this. From the charts they presented to us, IMO this thing will get a lot bigger than reported by the time they're done with all the testing. I feel this is just the tip of the iceberg.

However, since I started reporting on stuff like this, I realized we who report have an ethical responsibility.

Reporting the truth is admirable. Reporting the truth so it panics people is not being fair and balanced, in my opinion. So I hope this story I'm laying down here will come out as fair and balanced.

I try my best, but anyone who has any factual corrections to what I report here, please let me know and I will edit. I don't want to scare people here. If some of my words mobilize people to take action to get this place cleaned up sooner rather than later, I will feel I've made a contribution. Thanks for reading, people.

www.epa.gov/region02/superfund

History and background:

Raritan Bay Slag
    Sayreville, NJ

The Raritan Bay Slag Site is located in the Laurence Harbor section of Old Bridge and in Sayreville, Middlesex County, New Jersey. The Laurence Harbor seawall, which makes up part of the Site, was reported to have had metal slag from blast furnace bottoms deposited along the beachfront in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

Approximately 2,500 feet of the seawall have been contaminated. Elevated levels of lead, antimony, arsenic and copper have been identified by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) along the seawall near the area where the processing by-products were deposited. While site investigations were being conducted another area of concern was identified on the Sayreville waterfront. This area consists of the western jetty at the Cheesequake Creek inlet and waterfront area. At the request of the NJDEP, EPA evaluated the Raritan Bay Slag site for a removal action under Superfund.

Samples collected previously by the NJDEP from the nearby beach and park were evaluated by the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services. Old Bridge Township placed a temporary fence around the area of concern and posted warning signs in the park along the edge of the seawall. Letters were sent to the residents of Laurence Harbor in 2007 to notify them of NJDEP’s findings.

The removal assessment, which also includes the gathering of historical information and available data, is ongoing. The assessment will include the collection of soil, sediment, water, biological and waste samples along the seawall, jetty and the beaches near the areas of concern.

Default Meeting 4-1-09

Preliminary findings:

They found that the activity based sampling shows lead levels much higher than static (stationary) testing. That's one of their reasons for shutting it down. They're worried about children and pregnant woman being exposed to these higher levels, and the health implications.

They went into detail about the 3 main areas, which caused me and some other people to have a concern. This could turn out to be a lot bigger than they originally estimated. How big, and how costly, is anybody's guess.

1. Morgan creek jetty up to the seawall at the right of the first beach. (areas 2 & 4 in the graphs) Lead levels of up to 190,000 ppm were found here, as opposed to a recommended ceiling of 400 ppm.

2. The first jetty behind the Dunkin Donuts in Lawrence Harbor to the gazebo. (areas 3&5 in the graphs)

3. Margaret's Creek area. (area 6 in the graphs) Lead levels of up to 100-120,000 ppm in this area that borders Cliffwood Beach, with 400 ppm being the norm.

Basically, large and small slag kettles, battery casings, and round lead castings are found scattered throughout this whole area. The Morgan Creek Jetty is littered with hundreds of these things. I have climbed that jetty dozens of times and never knew what they were until now.

Questions and answers:

Following are a series of questions and answers as the residents and other interested parties were allowed to ask whatever we wanted, and the EPA answered.

It was a positive thing to see them not discriminate, other than giving the town's residents first chance at the podium.

We didn't have this courtesy at Brookhaven LI where they would only take written questions and limited the question period, despite the nearly 70 fishermen who showed up to protest the beach closure there.

Marine Life- how will it be affected?
    The EPA advised to limit consumption of flatfish based on already existing advisories. One a month for flounder, and one a week for fluke. Both of these fish eat creatures that live in the mud there. The same goes for crabs, which live in the mud, they said no one should be eating the crabs there. Studies are still being done on the other marine life such as striped bass, which are migratory and eat from the mud everywhere they go, including contaminated areas in the Hudson, Raritan, Delaware and other rivers.

The EPA said that as soon as further studies were completed they would be released.

Will you be targeting fishermen for prosecution if they tresspass?
    There wasn't too much of a clear answer on this. The concern of the EPA is for peoples' safety. They're concerned for fishermen as well. As the fences are put up, fishermen who approach from the water will still be able to fish. I don't know how much of an active role local police will play in enforcement if fishermen do approach this way. If they're below the high tide line, it could become a Public Trust Access issue.

However, in this case, I don't know if public safety precludes Public Trust rights.

What I heard at that meeting is they don't want to encourage fishermen to fish that water, even if they are able to. We'll have to see how this plays out.

Is the lead airborne?
    There were no concrete answers on this, but the general consensus was that it was not an issue unless partially burned in some of the brush fires they have back there. It was recommended that any firefighters fighting those fires wear respirators.

Is it safe to have a "Saltwater Day" there?
    There's a local businessman who holds a Saltwater Day every year, and he was assured it would be safe. It seems the highest concentration of lead is on the sand at the beaches, and lead that has leached out from the slag and lead kettles used to build the jetty walls.

It doesn't seem to be an issue further back where the EPA said no appreciable levels of contamination were found. So they say it's safe to bring your kids there and use the parks as recreation, as long as they don't go near the sand or water.

As they said this, in my mind I was thinking: What parent would be comfortable bringing their children here knowing of the risk? There are other options for recreation for parents to bring their kids to, and it's my feeling they'll avoid this area.

How can you deal with water contamination if the lead is leaching into the water?
    The EPA admitted it was very difficult to prevent this, and alluded to future studies that would be made to assess how far out the lead contamination is found to be.

Kash from Fred's Bait and Tackle: "Business people are at risk now. I don't want to criticize the EPA because you people are only doing your job. However, you need to decide on a reasonable plan to deal with this so people will still come down to our area."

The EPA said it recognized the hardships people would face, and would try to communicate clearly its findings and attend as many local meetings as possible to answer residents' questions.

Bill Naused, a local resident since 1969: " The bulkheads were built with slag. Liberty Trucking, one of the contractors for the backfill, used slag and whatever he could find. That's the way they did things back then. When the County took over, why didn't anybody spot this? Everybody who lives here knew about it. How come nothing was done?
    The EPA was very interested in talking to Bill further. I had a chance to meet Bill, and he's quite knowledgable about the area and everything that was going on for the last 40 years. He would be a valuable resource to the EPA should they decide to "fast track" this and get things going so it doesn't take 10 years.

I imagine there are many people in that town who have similar knowledge as Bill. If anyone who reads this knows a few, please tell them that now is the time for them to speak up.

What is the proposed timetable for this cleanup?
    This is one area where I might not be able to remain unbiased. They said this was just the preliminary stages. There would be more testing, assessments, and meetings. There is not enough $$ in the budget to fix this particular problem, hence putting it on the superfund list. The best estimates they could come up with are that remediation could take 5 to 10 years.

What is the proposed cost of this cleanup?
    The EPA kind of hedged its bets on this one, and I don't blame them. Figures were tossed around, some saying it could cost in the 10s of millions to remediate and finally make safe for all to use again. Some of the other audience members, who were connected with engineering firms, disputed that figure, saying it could cost up to $100 million.

I think it's fair to say how much the actual costs are at the end of the road for this project is subject to whoever is doing the estimating.

Default EPA meeting 4-1-09

Some technical questions, comments and answers:

There were quite a few environmental engineers,specialists, and activists in the room. I was impressed with the side conversations I had with them. They seemed to have detailed knowledge that was greater than that of the EPA.

Some of the claims they made got me a little nervous. It seemed, according to them, that this area and project could get significantly bigger than anticipated, and take a decade or more to clean up. They were talking about actual costs approaching 100 millions.

As I tried to be fair and balanced, I realized these people may have a future stake in this cleanup, and the firms chosen as contractors by the EPa stand to make millions of dollars in fees.

Knowing this, I would ask that anyone reading this to make their own assessments, do their own research, just like I'm doing. If someone tells me something as the absolute truth, I try to investigate it further so I am satisfied of the facts.

In the end, the government will need help, this will be a huge project. I just don't want any of my words to add to any panic that is created out there. I believe solutions are possible, but only if more people get involved.

Questions/comments by engineers, environmental and Town Council people:

Mayor James T Phillips:
    I thought he was an effective communicator and moderator of the discussions. From what I understood him to say, much of the blame would be placed on National Lead. He stressed that only a section of the beach would be closed, for now. He was asking the EPA for a reasonable time frame for this to be resolved in.

He further added that citizens should contact their State reps in the 13th district (Old Bridge), and the 19th District( Sayreville) if you feel things aren't getting done quickly enough. He has already established a special hotline for residents and concerned citizens to call for updates:
    "Mayor's Hotline" at 732-607-4801

Jim Poesl, MS, CIE, environmental cleanup experience
    Jim is also running for Assembly in the 19th District. Said $20 million is the base estimate to clean it up, but it will most likely be more.
    He said only a high fence would likely deter tresspassers, as this has been proven on other sites. He raised questions about the air quality during the cleanup, and wondered how it would be monitored. He also mentioned that citizens should be updated and apprised of any progress or bottlenecks as soon as possible.

Bill Schultz, from the Area Riverkeeper org:
    He mentioned that boaters might not see the signs, and furthermore the PWC in the area stir up the bottom through water sucked through their intake manifolds. He wanted to know how this would be addressed.

Tom Gillespie, Town Councilman:
    He raised the issue that businesses are at risk now, and this could go on for years and years. He wanted to make sure the people are informed of all developments as soon as the EPA is aware of them.

Rob Spiegel, environmental consultant:
    He mentioned that it could take up to 10 years and cost up to $100 million depending on how the cleanup is addressed. He suggested that there are other heavy metals in the mix in that area:
    arsenic (up to 10,000ppm) copper, and antimony, besides the lead, that would have to be looked at. He suggested trying to get FEMA money for the project as the size will eventually be bigger than projected.

Abby Mans, NJ/NY Baykeepers:
    She stressed that immediate action was needed.

Some more pics

more pics

pics of the area

Default Raritan bay superfund site links for info

I'm putting up a few links here, anyone else who wants feel free to put links or contacts up.

Old Bridge Township website:
    http://www.oldbridge.com/

more pics

some more pics

still mmore

^^ Dark Skies, roving reporter. Seriously, great job.

Here's the latest on that meeting you went to. Next you will tell us you're running for Senate. I might vote for you, send me a free plug first while I'm deciding.
    http://www.nj.com/news/local/index.s..._old_brid.html

EPA shuts lead-tainted beaches in Middlesex

Agency says closure could last 5-10 years
    Friday, April 03, 2009 BY RYAN HUTCHINS
    For the Star-Ledger

The Environmental Protection Agency is shutting down 1.3 square miles of coastal property, much of it along Raritan Bay, because dangerous levels of lead were found in the soil.

EPA officials said they would post 4-by-4-foot, bilingual notices warning of the threat posed by contamination, and will install split-rail fences restricting access to the western jetty near Cheesequake Creek in Old Bridge, at a small beach north of the jetty in Sayre ville, at the Laurence Harbor sea wall in Old Bridge and at Margaret's Creek to the south.

"Our plan is to post signs -- very aggressive signs, with strict language on it -- explaining exactly what the threat is," EPA project manager J. Daniel Harkay told about 100 people at the Old Bridge Environmental Commission meet ing on Wednesday night.
    The EPA said the signs will read: "Public health hazard/ Sand sediment and water contaminated with high levels of lead/ Access to the beach and sea wall located behind these signs is restricted/ No swimming/ No sunbathing/ No fishing." The bills also note that expo sure to lead can be especially harmful to children and pregnant women.

The federal officials who spoke Wednesday said they did not know when, how or even if the sites would be cleaned up.

Pressed again and again by angry residents who wanted a timeline for when some sort of re mediation might be done, Joseph D. Rotola, the agency's regional Removal Action Branch chief, acknowledged that the sites could be closed for five to 10 years -- maybe longer; he doesn't really know. Pat Seppi, who will be the EPA's public liaison, tried to calm the group.

"Even working with the EPA, we get frustrated about the length of time," Seppi said.

Right now, the agency is only in a position to close the areas, notify the public about the danger and continue to look into the extent of the contamination, according to spokeswoman Elizabeth Totman.

"That's why we're investigating the scope of this," she said yesterday.

She said the agency does not have a time frame for when it might be considered for the Superfund list, which would make the site eligible for federal cleanup funds. She said there would be a better picture of what will take place in the next month or two.

We're in the very preliminary stages on this," said Totman.

Dozens of people spoke at Wednesday's meeting.

Some, like Rich Peterson, feared closing the sites for any length of time could spell disaster for Old Bridge and Sayreville, which have businesses that cater to fisherman and others who visit the no-swimming beaches.
    "I can't see waiting around 10 years," said the Elizabeth man, who fishes there. "People will organize. People will protest. ... People will go bankrupt. People will have bad things happen in their lives."

The EPA reported the danger last month after receiving test results indicating very high levels of lead.

Rotola, the removal action chief, said Wednesday that residentially allowable amounts of lead measure 400 parts per million.

At the western jetty near Cheesequake Creek, the highest levels found were 198,000 parts per million -- nearly 500 times the residential limit and about 20 percent lead. The average in the area was 52,399 parts per million. The jetty's size depends on the tide, but is about 755 feet long and 20 to 30 feet wide.

At the Laurence Harbor sea wall area, the range of lead sampled was as high as 142,000 parts per million. The sea wall is about 2,345 feet long.

At the half-acre beach area in Sayreville, just north of the Cheesequake Creek jetty, the range of lead sampled was the same as at the jetty -- as high as 142,000 parts per million.
    The Margaret's Creek site, which is a remote location not fre quented by people, is being added to the list at the state Department of Environmental Protection's request.

The DEP began testing wet lands in Old Bridge about two years ago when the township was looking to sell property, Ed Put nam, the DEP's assistant director of the publicly funded remediation program, said last month.

A 1972 memo from National Lead Industries, which had a paint manufacturing facility in Old Bridge, indicates the company used the area to dispose of spent cases from acid/lead batteries.
    Because National Lead refused to help with the cleanup, the DEP turned the case over to the EPA in September, Putnam said.

State health experts at Wednesday's meeting said lead, built up in the blood stream over time, can cause brain damage, kidney failure, diminished intelligence and other issues. Children are much more at risk for absorbing lead than adults, as are pregnant women because of changed metabolism. The metal can be detected with blood tests.

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey/index.ssf?/base/news-13/123873211849290.xml&coll
    https://lostinjersey.wordpress.com/tag/epa/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast