Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Jersey fishing reports for April 2009

Quote Originally Posted by surfwalker View Post
    The only bend in the rod was when I casted. Nothing doing. Just wanted to stay away from the crowds (and the Bass too, I guess). Anyway, it always feels good at the edge.

Happy Trails
    "Only bend in the rod was when I casted." Hey, that's honesty! I do the same thing man, I get to a spot and the area is spiked with rods, I put plan B or C into action and hit the next spot. I'm motivated to catch, but the peace and quiet is a big thing for me too.

nothin but skunk last night dudes. nice goin chaz dark you gotta get out more and do some fishin!

couple shorts the other nite on un-weighted pink FinS. water was high and fast. no wind and a big bright moon. top of the out.

Last night fished Rb. incoming and outgoing, lots of "micro" bites, only managed 2 shorts up to 25".

I fished rb after the rain this afternoon, clammed one bass 23". Lenny you're right about the micro bites. I thought bunker were in, it was just a small bass. A small bass is better than no bass, I hope we get some bigger ones soon, though.

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    Lenny you're right about the micro bites. it was just a small bass.
    Yap, small. i saw a guy pulled out a very small bass, probably not longer than 18"

fished r.b last night beach was pretty crowded. not a tap.saw one short caught.got reel windy about 930.

I felt like I was all thumbs last night, fished way back in the Raritan bay. I was throwing fresh juicy clams and no one was coming to dinner. At least I dont feel so bad reading these reports. Maybe this comiing week will be better.

I took the yak out today for a short RB trip. Thought I had it figured out, put in where the W wind was at my back. I thought the land would provide a lee from the wind, it didn't. I only lasted 1/2 hour before I decided it was over.

I did get to scout out some new structure, maybe only five minutes of tossin a shad and towing a red tube. A lot of guys have been out yakkin already, seeing the pics and reports pumped me up. Also made me realize how much I desire a Hobie Mirage drive, those pedals really make a difference.

For those guys just gettin into it, paddle yaks are fine. As you take more trips, you'll eventually beg, borrow, or steal the $$ to get a pedal yak, ain't nothin like those babies for fishin current.

2 rats last nite, windy and choppy, wheres the cows I want to see some big pigs, lol

w4, we seem to be in a slump of 24-27" fish for the RB.

I started early today from deepwater, couldn't jig anything, water still too cold. Then looked to see if bunker were making a home somewhere, no dice on that either. Then I set up in the back of the bay and clamfished for awhile while I threw a bucktail on another pole to deeper water. Nothing despite my desperately chumming with a dozen fresh smashed clams along with mine.

Time for a change of plans! Bluefish chomping bunker, ya know there's gotta be a few bass around when that happens. I'm on the hunt for big bluefish!

Only one fish caught last night by me in a spot I knew about but not totally familiar with. Somewhere short of 28", put it back in the cold water. I tried to make my report as general as possible this time.

The good part of the story was meeting some new guys, and intense conversations about spot burning, why it's effed up, why the sites who don't take it seriously in the posts should take it more seriously, what it means to pay your dues and learn by putting your time in, and the realization that there seem to be less giant bass around for the surfcaster.

One of these guys got and released 2 fish in the 50+ inch range as recently as 5 years ago, and hasn't come close to that since. The details he told me convinced me he did make those catches.

The bad part of the story is these guys schooled me. They were honorable about it, and even offered to let me fish near them, but I didn't want to mug them. So I stubbornly refused their help. They did tell me to move into their spot when they were leaving. Dudes, thanks, sorry I was so stubborn.

I told them it was the same water, we were only 200' away. Turns out when they left there was a nice feature to their spot, and they had a nice pick of bass to 31" baitfishin. The water was very cold, I would say low 40's, but fish were relatively active, though soft hitters.

We have a noreaster forecast for today and the next few days, guys. The earliest it's predicted to straighten out is Thur. I would say if anyone is climbing the walls to get a nice fish, now would be a great chance to do it. If the winds do go to 20mph tonight, that would kill it.

If winds stay around 13mph or below, that's fishable!! Tight lines, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    If winds stay around 13mph or below, that's fishable!! Tight lines, guys!
    you said it bra, when the wind is noeast the fish will be beasts! i was out last night and only got 2 small bass, they were like kindergarten bass, lol

Went out early this morning to the RB. Got

last 2 hrs of out produced nothing but some kind of fish flying strait outta the water and strait down, these fish were 8-10lbs, and it was 50 yards away from the closest structure. we tried to figure out wut they wanted and we threw the bag at em but they were no interested. so we left , frustated and made our way to the old incoming spot. we strapped on some big black bombers and as soon as the tide started to get going, we nailed 5 fish to 24" and lost a bunch more. i think they wanted yellow bombers at dusk and black at night. probably woulda landed a lot more if i had anymore blurples. water temp was 52 niiiice

do carp breach? like whole bodies out of the water. and what kind of bait could they have been after?

i tried everything. pink fins, sluggos, baby bunker rattles, bunker storm shads, white twisters, black worms. ....

Was out fishing today. Fished RB , two schoolies on worms.

Fished Rb. last night,incoming tide,slow bites,wind died down later, got 2 short, they were short, 22"

Fished hard last night with some friends 10-4am. Water was cold, I would estimate in the low 40's where we were. Consistent 12-17mph NE blow for most of the incoming. Later it died out and shifted to SW, then W, became easier to fish. Fished a few spots, one with current, some light hits but no hookups. Needed 4 oz to hold there. It was like they were just mouthing the bait, no committment even when you gave them a little slack, using ff rigs.

There weren't a lot of people out, the weather report must have kept them home. We did meet someone I haven't seen in awhile, nice bumpin into ya, thanks for the heads up!

We ended up fishing another productive spot, the 4th one we moved to, until 4am, only 2 oz needed to hold. No signs of the usual bait that had been there, though they were around, no feeding activity like there had been, colder water may have had something to do with it.

We gave it our best shot, I had high hopes for last night, but that's fishin.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Was out fishing today. Fished RB , two schoolies on worms.
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyD View Post
    Fished Rb. last night,incoming tide,slow bites,wind died down later, got 2 short, they were short, 22"

Nice goin guys! I know you fished a lot of hours in the past few days.

Quote Originally Posted by zev View Post
    do carp breach? like whole bodies out of the water. and what kind of bait could they have been after?

i tried everything. pink fins, sluggos, baby bunker rattles, bunker storm shads, white twisters, black worms. ....
    Zev, could have been carp if the water temps are higher where you were, it's crazy when they're spawning and crashing. I never was able to catch a spawning carp during that time. Some guys use trebles in the Passaic for the carp and gizzard shad in May, that's the only way I've seen it done.

It's cool when the spawn happens, you can see hundreds of carp rolling around, good sight to take the kids to see! Maybe a fly fisherman could nail one or 2, but as for us, not a chance in hell.

Nice to see anyway, it's freaky seeing all those bodies crash out of the water, ain't it?

Reminded me of the Asian carp in the Midwest rivers, they're infesting the whole country!
    Check out the slo-mo action at 1:20

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast