Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NY fishing reports for April 2009

I put away the 8# test

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    I put away the 8# test
    Gettin ready for the big girls? Nice fish jimbob! Were you using the famous Spook again, or something else?

Looks dark and healthy.

Nice work jb. Got into some small schoolies backside of FI this morning, tsunami shads, biggest 22".

It was the Zara Spook. I have a video of this catch, it was my first attempt at video. I need some more experience.

Fished an inlet SS early 5-7 today. Bucktail and shad, no fish, great morning to be out.

FI again tonight, couldn't buy a hit.

I had a 16" Bass fishing a back bay area in Moriches this morning. I raised only one other fish in 5 hours of fishing. water temp was 54 degrees low incomming water.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P4250007 008_0001.jpg  

At least you were out there tryin, jimbob. I got blanked this am. Did you have a heavy fog up there this morning? Looked like a Steven King movie where I was.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	themisttrailer.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	6474

A bunch of other guys only hit a few shorts on the rb side, seems everywhere was a little off last night and this morning. That's fishin!!

Tonight could be better, I'll be out there. Check your pm's, top right hand corner of the page.

Yeah, it was foggy yesterday it burned off around 10:00. I went out this morning to the same spot and had one swirl just before sunrise, which was great, but I did not catch any fish.

jimbob, I was with about 10 misfits last night that hit some of the best SI spots for some serious fishin, all we could manage among the 10 of us was 2 keepers, one short bass, and a few missed hits. Nothin for me. It was tough all over last night, I think, still good to get out.

Fished a few NY places last night with G, 7:30pm- 5:30am. We must have covered 100 miles. In the first place, it was the old familiar " you should have been here 2 nights ago, where fish up to 45" were caught" The people had a few small fish last night, very slow. Did meet a few hardcore pluggers who were throwin pencils, nice to meet ya's, many thanks for the local intel you shared.

We changed plans and went to another area.
    We set up near a very rocky place where there was current passing through. The bite was spotty, fish hit light, 2 swings and 2 misses for us as we held our poles. We were fishin clams at that place because boat guys did well near there in the day.

Wind: the wind started out s/sw and put a decent chop on the water, which was good. While fishin, it died down, water became too calm, I don't really like when that happens. Later, it shifted to a N/NE pattern. Barometer was dropping when I checked, which to me is also a good indicator to get out there.

It seemed the bite died there, so we hit another "old reliable" spot. Too crowded, though people were going home by midnight, Snagged some bunker, and set up our stuff. Within 10 minutes G had a very nice runoff on his livelined bunker, but didnt hook the fish. It was good tension for a minute or so anyway, the kind where in the pit of your stomach tightens and you think, man I need this fish!

Later on around 3am the bunker got more active and we had some expectations we would hook up as bass started running through the bunker. They must have been smaller bass, and then only a few, because no hookups on our bunker chunks or clams but we tried like hell. That only lasted 10 minutes, and then it slowed down until there were just bunker sporadically feeding until we packed it in at 5:30am.

We'll gettum next time.

wow, Darkskies you really put in some time. It will pay off sooner or later.
    I was out before work this morning I fished the same spot I have been fishing from 5:00 to 7:00 I had one swirl on a popper that was it. I am going to a different place in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    wow, Darkskies you really put in some time. It will pay off sooner or later.
    Yeah, it paid off last night........

with bluefish!!!

Fished 10:30-5:30am. Started in NJ with AA and one of his crew. We were lookin for fish in current. 1st spot there was too much weed and tree branches floating by on the outgoing. They bait fished, I plugged with small swimmers and shads for 2 hours, nothing for any of us.

Went to another place with access to deeper water. We all fished bait, clams and bunker, nothing there either, we gave it our best shot.

Wind shifted from SW to S and back to SW again. I then hit NY for round 2. Found some bunker, it was windy where they were, nice chop on the water. I had some with me, so I fished bunker and clams until 4 at one place, then moved to another place after that, at which time I got 4 bluefish to 8# on the bunker. There was a lotnof weed in the NY spot as well, had to keep casting and re-baiting as the weed built up.

I think the nights of getting pure bass will soon be over, guys. The only way straight bass action might happen is if you can get them around low tide, when the blues tend to be inactive. When that tide fills in, it's yellow eyed demon city! It's still a fish, so at least I didn't get skunked. So far the big bass have eluded me this season, though I see them in my dreams. Next time.

yo dark u should have told me i want some fish if u guys get some blues keep them give them to me

I tried a different spot in Moriches bay this morning I had no action at all. Blufish in April, thats pretty cool Darkskies.

You can have the bluefish for awhile, Dark, just send the bass our way. I fished the jones area this morning, one short bass on a clam. Beautiful sunrise.

Big school of bass 1/2 a mile off nomoco and headding to the bay.
    WORK ALL DAY FISH ALL NIGHT AND SLEEP WHEN YOU DIE.

Fished Jamaica Bay this morning. I had some great action on pencil poppers and bombers, bass to 28" and some blues that were 30".

i fished staten island last night until the morning. dios there were so many bluefish! some were big like 9 or 10 pounds. we kept them and are eating them. i want a striper too. there are a lot of bluefish here now. maybe the stripers will be scared of them?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12