Thread: Front wire eyes

Default Front wire eyes

I was having a conversation with a fellow worker today about needlefish. He was telling me that you need to bend the front wire eye for better action. I have never heard of this before. I thought that needlefish was supposed to have little action going side to side. They are not supposed to walk like poppers.

Well I have never heard that needles just need to leave a v-wake with a slight twitch every once in awhile unless they are the sinking type then I work them close to the bottom letting them make contact with the sand every once in awhile.I do hold the rod at about 11 o'clock position while reeling very slowly.But you never know give it a try I would think it would just swim sideways somewhat.

Maybe it's just me, but I've never had to adjust a needlefish, and I fish them all the time in the fall when the sandeels are around. Many plugs track straight, some don't. If you notice that, play around with the eye, or the lips sometimes. I would say if you need to do this just modify a little at a time, and pay attention to what you did. If youre patient and willing to spend time watching and learning in clear water as you do this, you'll learn a few things.