Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rip current do's and don'ts

Quote Originally Posted by nitestrikes View Post
    http://www.ripcurrents.noaa.gov/tips.shtml

Never swim alone.
    • Learn how to swim in the surf. It's not the same as swimming in a pool or lake.
    • Be cautious at all times, especially when swimming at unguarded beaches. If in doubt, don’t go out.

One of the most important ones.You would think it was so obvious people don't have to write it on a list. I guess not.

Folks get so nervous. If you are a good swimmer you can swim these out. Remember not to panic and you will eventually be at a place where you can get back to shore, unless you are in the rips at Montauk, then say your Hail Mary's.

Default Pennfield Reef

There is a set of rocks by us called Pennfield Reef. It is a jetty that goes far out into the water. The water rips around it when you have the moon tides. I have never gone out there because I'm not that comfortable on rocks and with strong current. Every year some guys get in trouble and have to be rescues. So be careful if you ever try to fish that reef. Good thread guys!

We had 2 guys drown here a few months ago because they were fishing in an area with strong curents. Keep your wits about you, and don't think you know the true strength of the current just by wading. Often the force when you are in over your knees can sweep you away with a rogue wave. Be careful out there folks.

Be careful out there guys, there were 2 drownings in monmouth county this week. Those rip currents can be brutal.

Pretty cool video I found. They show how the rip runs by putting dye in the water. Good advice.

Very good thanks for posting.

Default Re: rip current do's and don'ts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35346_139546099404587_100000475931559_351807_2710515_n.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	15296
    I fish rips all the time. I leave plenty of room to swim out of the rip by going parallel to the shore. if there is a doubt in my mind i check the current before going on a gps & i wear this set up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wet suit.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	15295
    i spend a lot of time just swimming in fins & boots to build my endurance. Check out my wetsuiting thread for more tips on rip current techniques.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rock star.jpg  

Default Re: Pennfield Reef

Quote Originally Posted by albiealert View Post
    There is a set of rocks by us called Pennfield Reef. It is a jetty that goes far out into the water. The water rips around it when you have the moon tides. I have never gone out there because I'm not that comfortable on rocks and with strong current. Every year some guys get in trouble and have to be rescues. So be careful if you ever try to fish that reef. Good thread guys!
    That spot was a favorite of the Professor Jack Fretch!
    where in conn is it? he use to fish all my spots. look him up he is a legend in his sport!

Awesome pics urban fishing man! Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanFishingMan View Post
    That spot was a favorite of the Professor Jack Fretch!
    where in conn is it? he use to fish all my spots. look him up he is a legend in his sport!
    Urban fishing man, the reef is in Fairfield, off of Fairfield Beach Road, near a place called Lighthouse Point. The reef stretches out to the East, about 1/2 mile into the sound. It is pretty cool. You can partly see it on Google maps or Bing. I have never fished it because of the danger. There is a channel right off the south side of reef and some big bass are taken there every year. But it is not like an inlet, it is mostly submerged and only walkable as the tide is going out.
    Guys get stranded there every year as there are breaks in the structure, If you go be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanFishingMan View Post

I fish rips all the time. I leave plenty of room to swim out of the rip by going parallel to the shore. if there is a doubt in my mind i check the current before going on a gps & i wear this set up.

i spend a lot of time just swimming in fins & boots to build my endurance. Check out my wetsuiting thread for more tips on rip current techniques.
    This post by urban is very good advice. New guys to the world of fishing and skishing in particular could learn a lot by searching his posts and threads here.

His post reminded me of a story I sometimes passed along about the dangers of fishing Orient Point. I had been out there a few times, and was humbled by the power of the tide and current there.....feeling it was one of the most dangerous places on the East Coast to fish at night.....
    If you have any doubt about how strong current can be take a look at the video below. That was only at the beginning of the tide....imagine how dangerous it gets mid-tide and toward the end.........

After careful planning, (and 2 aborted trips) I was able to kayak out there alone one dark summer night.......I didn't catch anything.....but did manage to negotiate to the Gut successfully as it was the end of the ebb and only the beginning of the flood tide.......

I was nervous as hell.....knowing full well the power of those tides and what happens to those who don't give them the respect they should........

When we ran into Larry Welcome from Driftwood Tackle at Berkeley Sunday.....
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...a-Market/page5
    I was re-telling the story, with Larry there.......

(As it was originally told to me)....the people there were said to be a famous Saltwater writer, and his friend....
    As I told it to Larry, talking about the Dangers of Orient....he said...
    "No, that was ME, and my friend out there!"

Larry went on to tell us the story.......
    I'll come back in and fill it in as I get a chance.....as it's gripping and deserves to be told in a few posts, suspense and all.....

They really are lucky they made it out of there with their lives....but probably only because of Larry's extensive experience and clear thinking, did they survive.......

I think it's important to point out......just don't go fishing at Orient at night....unless you really do extensive research and know the safety precautions.....

I'll try to fill in the rest when I get a chance......

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Larry went on to tell us the story.......
    I'll come back in and fill it in as I get a chance.....as it's gripping and deserves to be told in a few posts, suspense and all.....

They really are lucky they made it out of there with their lives....but probably only because of Larry's extensive experience and clear thinking, did they survive.......

Yeah I'll bet it takes you a minimum of a month to come back and tell us. Leaving us in suspense you s***!
    You always do this! I really am interested now. In a month I won't be!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12