Thread: Striped Bass thread

Hybrid View

Habitat and Food Web
    After spawning, the eggs are transported downstream; the bass larvae require adequate turbulence, provided by moving water, to enable them to remain suspended in the oxygen-rich region of the water column.

Without the moving water, sinking to the bottom, the egg is rendered non-vital by sediments, which deprives them of the oxygen exchange necessary for survival. There is therefore no natural reproduction in reservoirs and lakes; state fishery departments stock the fish in these waters.

The larvae feed primarily on zooplankton and water fleas. After the hatch, the quarter-inch fish are attached to a heavy yolk sac, which provides them necessary nourishment for four or five days.

The fry then begin to feed on small crustaceans. As they grow, their diet expands to include insect larvae, other larval fish, mysids, and amphipods. Adults are piscivorous, existing primarily on shad.

Striped Bass have been known to eat anything that swims, crawls or floats, even its own kind.

Mature Striped Bass prefer Menhaden, Silversides, and Anchovies and during the summer months in the Chesapeake Bay they focus on Spot and Croaker. Approximately 95 percent of the Striped Bass diet comes from other finfish. The optimal feeding range is 55 to 68 degrees Fahrenheit, but feeding occurs between 40 and 75 degrees.

http://www.laterallineco.com/fishing...n_pattern.html

i think its hard to tell dark i got fish in june once that still had eggs in them. so I don't know if they didn't spawn or spawn late but i think u will always have a few that are late.