Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Striped Bass thread

I can only imagine how abundant the fish were back then. I bet they used handlines to bring in 70+lb bass. I wonder if they livelined pogies, or just threw out the chunks?

Default Re: Striped Bass thread

Something I posted today about spawning:

Quote Originally Posted by 261608
    Anyone know what percentage of eggs will actually survive to reach maturity? I have to think more than 3 mature fish are produce from 5 million eggs......
    Anyone know what it is?

1.First of all, I think it's too optimistic to use 5 million eggs, although I realize you were probably using that number to simplify things. The way I understand females dumping their eggs, is that if a female is carrying 5 million, she might not dump all of them during the spawn. To carry 5 million, she would (theoretically) have to be in the 40 or 50lb class. The females in that size class can behave differently when compared to the females in the size class from 30-38". (More on this when I get a chance to come back here and go into more detail.)

To try to specifically answer your question, what % of bass make it to maturity from an original spawn? it's pretty difficult, and even scientists have slight disagreements.
    Generally, the research papers I've read claim that about 0-20% of the eggs let loose from a fertile female, will make it to the fry stage.

Some have defined this stage as when the bass is 45-52 days old after hatching. At that point many environmental hazards, and bulk of things that snack on these eggs like a quick protein shake are eliminated. Remember it's up to 20% (only in optimal cases, most likely less).

What is left from then on is bigger fish of all species as predators. --
    Out of that number, some studies have shown that at least 3/4 of the remainder will not make it to adulthood to join in the breeding cycle again (about 4 years)....

So, your point about a small % of bass making it to adulthood, is a good one, and probably very close to reality. You could use a number of less than 10% survivability, and that could be pretty accurate.
    (Could even be 1% or less as you suggested.....)

**You could use a range of 10% down to 1%, or less that will survive.

A. Assuming a 30 lb bass containing 3 million eggs, if all eggs were dumped out at one time, even with the worst case scenario assuming only 1% of the eggs survived to become adult bass,
    that is 30,000 bass from one 30 lb breeding female that will make it to adulthood..

B. If you take a pessimistic view and assume only half that amount,
    that is 15,000 bass coming from one 30 lb breeding female, that will make it to adulthood.

**Remember that the above figures are subject to a lot more variables than I have explained here.
    The question of what that % is, can vary from year to year.
    Something I could come back and go into detail on, if anyone wants to hear it.

Default Re: Striped Bass thread

Awesome info thanks for sharing ds.

Default interesting information on Stripers

http://new.coolclassroom.org/adventures/explore/fish/10 may be elementary for most here but I found it a good read when you get up in the pages around the twenties.

Thanks for posting rob. Good info about how to interpret sea surface temperature too

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    http://new.coolclassroom.org/adventures/explore/fish/10 may be elementary for most here but I found it a good read when you get up in the pages around the twenties.
    pretty cool and interesting to see different striped bass have preferences that may not be bait related ie the one swimming out to the ocean and back and the other one hanging around the buoy. thanks for sharing that

Default Hybrid Striped Bass

Have been doing some research on hybrids and discovered this about the market for the East Coast.
    Thought some members would find these articles interesting.

SRAC: Hybrid Striped Bass
    http://srac.msstate.edu/hybridbass.html

Hybrid Striped Bass - Biology and Life History
    https://srac.tamu.edu/index.cfm/getF...hfactsheet/54/

The Hybrid Striped Bass: Aka - Cherokee Bass - Kentucky Bass
    The White Bass and Striped Bass cross

http://www.stripers247.com/Hybrid-striper.php

They also have some other names,
    Sunshine Bass.....
    If you have any additional names or info feel free to add, thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12