View Poll Results: How many plugs do you carry (bring in your surf bag(s)) when you head to the water?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under 5

1 3.57%
  • 6 to 10

8 28.57%
  • 11 to 15

10 35.71%
  • 16 to 20

5 17.86%
  • 21 to 25

1 3.57%
  • More than 25

3 10.71%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plugs in the surf bag Poll

Default Superstrikes stock hook size

This might help Some People/Heres Superstrikes out of the pkg. hook and plug sizes.T=trebel S=single replacement tail hook
    Superstrike Darter 6 -5/8" 2 3/8oz. 3/0 T Replace W 5/0 S

Needlefish 5- 1/4" 3/4-1oz. #1 T Replace w/3/0 S
    6- 3/8" 1 1/2 oz. 2/0 T Replace w/4/0 or 5/0 for both sizes
    7-1/4" 1 3/4 oz. 3/0 T

Bullet 4 -9/16" 1 1/8 oz. 2/0 T Replace w/4/0 S
    Bullet 1-5/8 oz. 2/0 T

F/ Popper 4-1/4" 1 oz. 1/0 T Replace w/3/0 S for both
    S/ Popper " " 1-1/2 oz. 1/0 T

F/ Popper 5-1/4" 1-1/2 oz. 2/0 T Replace w/5/0 S for both
    S/ Popper 5-1/4" 2-3/8 oz. 2/0 T

F/ Popper 6" 2-1/4 oz. 3/0 T Replace w/5/0 or 6/0 S for both
    S/ Popper 6" 3 oz. 3/0 T
    Bottle Plug 6" 2-3/8 oz. 3/0 T Replace w/5/0 or 6/0 S

F- Floating Green eye
    S- Sinking Black eye

I use VMC's for single hook replacement:4/0- 6/0 are a good range to have on hand unless you fish alot of smaller plugs than you may need some 3/0's I seem to use more 5/0's than any other size. This is what I do.( may not be the norm for others.)

I like to keep it simple, 11-15
    Of course I carry about 100 plugs in milk crates as "backup" in my truck! btw, nice comments on plug replacement sizes surfstix, thanks!

I thought some of ya's might like to re-visit this ....saw Monty the other night and was reminded that he's one of the most compulsive fishermen I know......that feeling when you're out there that you may not have brought what the fish are looking for that night......
    Well....Monty has that covered.......to the maxx....

Any other thoughts for this thread?

127 is a good number. Just joshing. I try to have one plug or profile that covers every part of the water column. Seasonally adjusted to the bait they may be feeding on. 15-20 is usually a good number for me including bucktail, metal and jigs. Less in the colder months when I downsize to small plugs and bucktails.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    How many plugs do you carry?
    I take between 20 and 25.
    This pic is from early last year.
    Attachment 6415

I was looking at this and counted the plugs in the pic......yep....that's 25, for one bag.....when are ya gonna tell em about the other bags ya carry? ...for the Surplus....just in case..

Come on now DS give the guy a break. There must be a reason to carry that many plugs. There might be a good bite one day and he needs a shade of yellow or purple that no one else has. He will score the fish and you all will be looking at him with your mouths open because it will be based on that color.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    I was looking at this and counted the plugs in the pic......yep....that's 25, for one bag.....when are ya gonna tell em about the other bags ya carry? ...for the Surplus....just in case..
    Shhhh

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    Come on now DS give the guy a break. There must be a reason to carry that many plugs. There might be a good bite one day and he needs a shade of yellow or purple that no one else has. He will score the fish and you all will be looking at him with your mouths open because it will be based on that color.
    I think if I just took one plug with me, a loaded red fin, 5" one, I would catch 2x the fish I catch now.....but that would not be nearly as fun as trying to trick the bass into hitting a wooden plug or casting 70 yards and seeing a Bass take a Howdy or Dookster.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

I found when I carried too many plugs my back started hurting on long outings so I always ended up laying the bag on the sand which I don't like doing.

I "upgraded" to a three tube bag (big tubes) that I have attached to my surf belt and have two removable dividers setup.

With a divider I can fit four plastic swimmers in one tube without the hooks tangling (think slim plugs like bomber, sp, redfins, mag darters, small to medium needles).

I usually have both dividers in if the bait around is mostly small. I can fit two to three wide plugs depending on their width.

I also carry single hook plugs on the outside of the tubes between the gaps.

ex:
    diawa sp minnow with just a 3/0 VMC on the front
    sebile magic swimmer 3/0 VMC on the front
    sebile stick shad 4/0 on the front

so overall I probably average 10-12 plugs plus swim shads, hogys, bucktails

When I go double bag both are on the belt.
    Used this setup a few times this year.

I am convinced you are a madman.

What are the red pliers?

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post

What are the red pliers?

Small bolt cutter, cuts a 4x hook like butter.....just in case....don't want to cut a fishing session short.

What are the red pliers?

Monty, you're too diplomatic....I was gonna tell him it was to give quick circumcisions to guys who mug ya on the beach at night.,....
    (you really don't want to bother him in the darkness when he's all hopped up on those energy drinks)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Monty, you're too diplomatic....I was gonna tell him it was to give quick circumcisions to guys who mug ya on the beach at night.,....
    Funny...I was thinking the same thing after he said what they were.

I just stuffed my plug bag and was able to fit six swimmers into a divided tube, two large metal lips into another tube, and five medium sized plugs into the last tube. I was able to sneak four plugs on the outside (two needles, a magic swimmer and a small rm peanut).

17 plugs plus the other misc rubber and bucktails. Strapped the belt on and I felt like I was going to keel over. I don't know how you guys do it.

I don't know how you guys do it.
    I took 1 trip with this bag, then common sense prevailed and I sold it.

The more reasonable solution.

Making a conscious effort to reduce the amount of plugs I carry. I cut back some 2 weeks ago, but its still out of hand.
    Next week will not jam the bag full.

Making a conscious effort to reduce the amount of plugs I carry. I cut back some 2 weeks ago, but its still out of hand.
    Next week will not jam the bag full.

What do you think of the 4 tube bags? We don't have a lot of deep water in south jersey so I'm thinking of something a little simpler. Like to carry 5-10 plugs and some fin s and bucktails.

Quote Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
    What do you think of the 4 tube bags? We don't have a lot of deep water in south jersey so I'm thinking of something a little simpler. Like to carry 5-10 plugs and some fin s and bucktails.
    3 Tube might be ok for that. I like the 4 tube because it has a pouch I can squeeze 14" hogys in it.
    No matter what bag I use I attach it to my belt so that the majority of the weight is on the belt.
    I find the bags with the long pouches are great for 10" hogys, they are on the 4 tube bags.

3 tube, no pouch

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3tube.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	18902

3 Tube might be ok for that. I like the 4 tube because it has a pouch I can squeeze 14" hogys in it.
    No matter what bag I use I attach it to my belt so that the majority of the weight is on the belt.
    I find the bags with the long pouches are great for 10" hogys, they are on the 4 tube bags.

3 tube, no pouch

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3tube.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	18902
    I have the MAK 3 tube and its great except...it doesn't have a place to hold soft plastics (which I like to fish often).

I also tend to overstuff the three tubes which causes plugs to come out tangled. I have been thinking about upgrading to a 4 tube to allow me to put less plugs in each tube and carry soft plastics.

Monty, who made your 4 tube bag? It looks perfect.

The bag I was using was a AquaSkinz Elite Hunter Pro Series Medium Bag. I know Commando makes a similar one. Commando would be better quality.
    The pouch on these lets me carry big Hogys.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12